My hair looks wet when it's dry?

artc34artc34 Registered Users Posts: 12
I just started CG yesterday afternoon. Even then, I got some great results! I definitely have more curl definition, and a little bit less frizz. Today, I wet my hair down, and once it dried I got pretty much the same result.

However, I still have some problems:
  1. My hair still looks wet, even though it's dry! I guess the best way to describe it is that the curls are kind of stringy. Also, I have almost no volume at the crown, despite plopping.
  2. I can't get the frizz down to an acceptable level, even though it's getting better. I'm not sure which frizz fighter I should use (I've looked at the big thread on the general curly hair discussion board, but I'm not sure what would be best to use given my hair problems).
  3. I feel like I need a better leave-in. I'm using my rinse-out as a leave-in right now because I didn't have anything else (Tigi MM), but I feel like it might be too heavy for a leave-in?
Here's what I did yesterday
  • Co-wash with Suave tropical coconut
  • Rinse out with Tigi MM
  • ACV rinse
  • Use a little more of the coconut to get rid of the vinegar smell
  • Used a bit of the MM as a leave-in
  • Scrunched in HESMU
  • Plopped
Today, I wet it down, and touched up with a bit of MM and HESMU.

Also, my hair is 2b/3a.

Please help!!
New to CG (as of 2/14/09). 2a/3a hair.

Current routine:
Low poo (every other wash): Giovanni TTT
Co-wash: Giovanni TTT, V05 Moisture Milks, Tigi MM
Styling: Homemade spray gel w/ FX Curl Booster

STILL SEARCHING FOR NO HUMECTANT, LIGHTWEIGHT PRODUCTS!

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Registered Users Posts: 2,034
    Is it crunchy? Gel will do that. Just scrunch out the crunch when it's dry. If you do it before it dries, you'll probably get frizz.

How long do you plop? I can only do fifteen minutes at the most, or I get weird, flat curls and a lot of frizz. I plop closer to five though.

As far as frizz, it may be due to plopping, not reacting well to an ingredient, the environment you're in (I know Suave Coconut has honey, which is not good to use in a dry environment), and touching too much before it dries. You'll have to experiment to find what it is that works for you.

My hair also does weird things with ACV sometimes. I wouldn't start those until you've gotten used to CG, and maybe just weekly when you do start. How much ACV to water did you use? Using too much can yield weird results.

For me, plopping encourages curl, not volume. In fact, if done too long or not straight, I can get flat roots. Diffusing with a finger diffuser gives me volume. I use the pixiecurl method. Clipping your roots will also help with volume.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • Heather0kayHeather0kay Registered Users Posts: 667 Curl Neophyte
    I think my hair is like yours... fine? Mine is also thin and black so I get a lot of white scalp showing along with the the stringy curls.. pretty huh? The key is to have your hair completely dry before scrunching out the stringy crunchy curls. And when I think it is dry it isn't... so I just keep on diffusing and try to be patient. I use homemade flaxseed gel with my hair really wet and flip upside down, scrunch out the water with the gel at my crown then I flip over and do the sides. This helps with volume at the top or crown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse
  • stormstorm Registered Users Posts: 204 Curl Neophyte
    Hey,
    you know your problem might be HESMU..Though it has great hold for me, ive noticed it gives me less clumps and more stringy curls..Try HE Body Envy..It sounds like itll suit your hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file