CurlTalk

not something most people want ..

but i want to know how to weigh down my hair. i have just too much volume, and on top of that my hair is thick. and that in turn makes my hair this weird .. shape, so i hardly wear it out. so all that combined means its really hard to manage and style. i need some help, pleaseee ):
thank you !
supposedly 2c/3a.
very thick,almost waistlength hair when straight, but around midback length when curly.
just a girl trying to figure her hair out /: lol.

turned CG- 2/17/09
wish me luck ;)

2/27/09- taking a break from CG ... doing mod CG for a little to see the effects on my hair, so that i can compare and expiriment and see what my hair likes and doesnt like

i havent found a good routine yet or any HG products.

Comments

• Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    but i want to know how to weigh down my hair. i have just too much volume, and on top of that my hair is thick. and that in turn makes my hair this weird .. shape, so i hardly wear it out. so all that combined means its really hard to manage and style. i need some help, pleaseee ):
    thank you !

What sorts of products and techniques are you using now?
  • smo6767smo6767 Posts: 409Registered Users
    thank you !

I have the exact same problem. My hair is 3B but it ends up looking like 3C/4A if I keep it down. I'm growing it out to weigh it down and I am going to try to loosen the curl tomorrow with duck bill clips, but I'll tell you if I find anything that works!
    ICONATOR_bb56511c0b5e53f5d21289611d11a822.gif
  • SunshineGrrlSunshineGrrl Posts: 3,823Registered Users
    Most people say that if you want less volume, pile on the products. The heavier, the better.

• tctc Posts: 986Registered Users
    I am always trying to weigh down my hair ...it's way too thick and gets dry if I'm not careful. styling products aren't usually an option for me because of sensitive skin so I have to get creative.

Are you currently using shampoo? Cutting that out and washing with conditioner instead might help a lot. that took care of 75% of the problem for me.

to take care of the rest of it, after washing I use a 2nd rinse-out conditioner that's REALLY heavy with a lot of emollients (aubrey organics white camellia conditioner). this stuff will only halfway rinse out because it has so much oil and not much emulsifier. so I use a very small quarter-sized blob of it to avoid looking oily. it takes away a lot of volume. I love it.
    Then when my hair is 80-90% dry I put a few drops apricot kernel oil in it. that also helps to devolumize but doesn't make it look oily. I tried a lot of different oils and that's the only one I've tried that removes volume without making my hair look oily. I've heard that camellia oil does the same thing but it's a little too expensive for me (although it is the main ingredient in my conditioner and I like the conditioner a lot)
  • smo6767smo6767 Posts: 409Registered Users
    Thanks! I have heard a lot of good things about Aubrey's Organics and I've been wanting to try it for a while... where can you find them?
    ICONATOR_bb56511c0b5e53f5d21289611d11a822.gif
  • shawneebecoolshawneebecool Posts: 90Registered Users
    Laura Lee wrote: »
    thank you !

What sorts of products and techniques are you using now?

well, not counting the past two days .. i would condition my hair and thats it. then i would sleep in it and only do this once a week for two weeks. thats about the only 'method' i had for the past few weeks ..

i honestly dont have a set method, so that might be part of the problem. if you go to my post in the 2c forum, theres a picture of me and my hair.
    supposedly 2c/3a.
    very thick,almost waistlength hair when straight, but around midback length when curly.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

2/27/09- taking a break from CG ... doing mod CG for a little to see the effects on my hair, so that i can compare and expiriment and see what my hair likes and doesnt like

tmmy_cat wrote: »
    I am always trying to weigh down my hair ...it's way too thick and gets dry if I'm not careful. styling products aren't usually an option for me because of sensitive skin so I have to get creative.

Are you currently using shampoo? Cutting that out and washing with conditioner instead might help a lot. that took care of 75% of the problem for me.

to take care of the rest of it, after washing I use a 2nd rinse-out conditioner that's REALLY heavy with a lot of emollients (aubrey organics white camellia conditioner). this stuff will only halfway rinse out because it has so much oil and not much emulsifier. so I use a very small quarter-sized blob of it to avoid looking oily. it takes away a lot of volume. I love it.
    Then when my hair is 80-90% dry I put a few drops apricot kernel oil in it. that also helps to devolumize but doesn't make it look oily. I tried a lot of different oils and that's the only one I've tried that removes volume without making my hair look oily. I've heard that camellia oil does the same thing but it's a little too expensive for me (although it is the main ingredient in my conditioner and I like the conditioner a lot)

hmm .. well for the past two days ive been using a shampoo and my hair just poofed, lol. but 2 weeks before that i was only using conditioner and it seemed to work okay .. but not completely eliminating the volume, like you. ive never really thought of using a conditioner with alot of emollients. where did you get the conditioner you were talking about ? and the apricot kernel oil? also .. how much are these products? thanks :)
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

Most people say that if you want less volume, pile on the products. The heavier, the better.

i just may try that. i was seriously just thinking of doing that tomorrow. so i will, thanks :D we'll see how that goes
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

smo6767 wrote: »
    thank you !

I have the exact same problem. My hair is 3B but it ends up looking like 3C/4A if I keep it down. I'm growing it out to weigh it down and I am going to try to loosen the curl tomorrow with duck bill clips, but I'll tell you if I find anything that works!

well ive been told my hair is 2c/3a ? idk, lol. my hair is already pretty long. but it still has a weird shape. but yes, let me know how that goes :)
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

• rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    That doesnt work for me. Particularly in humid climates, it just makes it worse.

Firstly CG made the most diff for me. In specific: Product into soaking wet hair, Curl Ease Towel. Diffusing til fully dry (air drying gives me too much volume). And, of course, the right products for your hair (for me thats CO wash or DW, Tigi MM and HESMU for winter hair).

Good luck, it can be done!
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • linzarglinzarg Posts: 3Registered Users
    I tried john frieda volume reducing serum...my hair was a little smaller but it made it all crispy and dry.:sad5:
    2C/3A
    Trying to accept my natural volume!
    Mostly CO wash w/ Giovanni or other natural condish.
    Growing out chemical hair color and damage...which has messed up my curls.
    Becoming a bit of a henna addict.
    rudeechick wrote: »
    That doesnt work for me. Particularly in humid climates, it just makes it worse.

Firstly CG made the most diff for me. In specific: Product into soaking wet hair, Curl Ease Towel. Diffusing til fully dry (air drying gives me too much volume). And, of course, the right products for your hair (for me thats CO wash or DW, Tigi MM and HESMU for winter hair).

well, right now im trying the pile on products thing. ill see how that turns out tomorrow ..

but, im really hesitant at trying CG .. i just feel like it'll be so much work. and yes, im a lazy person :P but, ive seen the before and after pics of some and it makes me really want to try it.. so maybe i will. not sure yet. its just the whole which products work for me and dont,trial and error type thing.:dontknow:
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

linzarg wrote: »
    I tried john frieda volume reducing serum...my hair was a little smaller but it made it all crispy and dry.:sad5:

aww, lol. john frieda serums are poop.:disgust:
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

hmm .. well for the past two days ive been using a shampoo and my hair just poofed, lol. but 2 weeks before that i was only using conditioner and it seemed to work okay .. but not completely eliminating the volume, like you. ive never really thought of using a conditioner with alot of emollients. where did you get the conditioner you were talking about ? and the apricot kernel oil? also .. how much are these products? thanks :)

If you have a health food store you might check there first. I get them at Whole Foods but you could also also order them online.

AOWC is about $10 for 11 ounces but you will probably only use a nickel-width or quarter-width blob at a time, so the bottle lasts quite a while. I use a quarter-sized blob on my shoulder-length hair and I comb it through in the shower to get better distribution since it's such a small amount.

Apricot kernel oil is about $7 for 4 ounces and it also lasts a long while ... I use about a dime-sized amount.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.auracacia.com%2FdspCmnPrd.php%3Fct%3Danpcpcsc%26amp%3Bp%3Dp%26amp%3Bcn%3DApricot%2520Kernel" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aubrey-organics.com%2FProductInfo.aspx%3Fproductid%3D109" class="Popup
  • curlicarlycurlicarly Posts: 242Registered Users
    thank you !

You're not alone! My hair is huge huge huge. What has helped a TON was going CG. Use lots and lots of products and conditioner. ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] weighs mine down in a good way!) Do NOT diffuse. Try sleeping in a satin bonnet! It might even make your hair too small. DT weekly. Also, FOTE is great.

HTH
    3b/c coarse, porous (I think), and THICK! Mod CG since: 10/11/08
    Avoiding humectants and protein!

If you have a health food store you might check there first. I get them at Whole Foods but you could also also order them online.

AOWC is about $10 for 11 ounces but you will probably only use a nickel-width or quarter-width blob at a time, so the bottle lasts quite a while. I use a quarter-sized blob on my shoulder-length hair and I comb it through in the shower to get better distribution since it's such a small amount.

Apricot kernel oil is about $7 for 4 ounces and it also lasts a long while ... I use about a dime-sized amount.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.auracacia.com%2FdspCmnPrd.php%3Fct%3Danpcpcsc%26amp%3Bp%3Dp%26amp%3Bcn%3DApricot%2520Kernel" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aubrey-organics.com%2FProductInfo.aspx%3Fproductid%3D109" class="Popup

thanks so much!
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

curlicarly wrote: »
    thank you !

You're not alone! My hair is huge huge huge. What has helped a TON was going CG. Use lots and lots of products and conditioner. ([buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] weighs mine down in a good way!) Do NOT diffuse. Try sleeping in a satin bonnet! It might even make your hair too small. DT weekly. Also, FOTE is great.

HTH

yes, but ive been pretty skeptical when it comes to CG. i have a feeling itll be too much work. and yes, im lazy person :P lol. but idk .. ive seen the before and after pictures of people who've done it and it makes me really want to.

tonight, i washed my hair and put in tons of product. and im sleeping with my hair plopped, so ill see how that turns out. thanks for the reccomendations :D
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

well, right now im trying the pile on products thing. ill see how that turns out tomorrow ..

but, im really hesitant at trying CG .. i just feel like it'll be so much work. and yes, im a lazy person :P but, ive seen the before and after pics of some and it makes me really want to try it.. so maybe i will. not sure yet. its just the whole which products work for me and dont,trial and error type thing.:dontknow:
    fyi, in MY case, its been so much LESS work then all those years of attempting to: control my bulk/volume, control my hair reactions to humidity and get a nice curl.

Way less work. Way cheaper. Way better hair.
    My Photobucket Album

fyi, in MY case, its been so much LESS work then all those years of attempting to: control my bulk/volume, control my hair reactions to humidity and get a nice curl.

I agree...so much less work! seems like most of my hair issues came from having hair that was too dry ... remove the cause of the dryness and then there are fewer issues to fix.

i started CG today :)
    wish me luck!
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

I agree...so much less work! seems like most of my hair issues came from having hair that was too dry ... remove the cause of the dryness and then there are fewer issues to fix.

i started today!
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

FYI - heres a styling tip to control volume and/or curl tightness:

Do your normal routine, then diffuse your hair. When hair is completely dry but STILL WARM from the diffuser twist hair into a loose bun, let sit til cool (you can play with the length of time depending on the desired result).

This helps pull down volume and loosen curl.
    My Photobucket Album
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    I'm constantly trying to weigh down my hair and calm volume! I'm finding coconut milk and coconut oil are excellent for this. I'm trying to use them in my conditioner mostly but I have had good success with Komaza Milk as LI. I don'y get 2nd day out of it but 1st day GREAT! When the weather is warm Honey in my condish and Honey rinses calm my hair and give me good definition. I have to be generous with my styling products and conditioner or I get POOOF as well.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    i dont have a diffuser .. but i should invest in one. and thanks for the reccomendations :)
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    Yeah, unless you always 100% air dry, a diffuser is a must-have. As someone else already mentioned, FOTE AVG is great - for frizz, for subduing it, and for added moisture. When my hair used to be a lot thicker, curlier and bushier, I used Rudeechick's trick of twisting it up while warm. Even if not warm, it still helped if I had time to leave it up for a while.

You mentioned John Frieda serum - it's nothing but non-water-soluble silicone and mineral oil, so it's really bad for your hair, almost certainly drying it out.

Is your hair layered? That helps a lot with volume and with its overall shape.

And I SO agree that taking care of your hair in a way that's good for your curls (whether completely CG or not) makes it much easier and faster to care for. My life became so much easier when I quit the constant battle of fighting what the good Lord gave me and started working with it.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    auntnett wrote: »
    Yeah, unless you always 100% air dry, a diffuser is a must-have. As someone else already mentioned, FOTE AVG is great - for frizz, for subduing it, and for added moisture. When my hair used to be a lot thicker, curlier and bushier, I used Rudeechick's trick of twisting it up while warm. Even if not warm, it still helped if I had time to leave it up for a while.

You mentioned John Frieda serum - it's nothing but non-water-soluble silicone and mineral oil, so it's really bad for your hair, almost certainly drying it out.

And I SO agree that taking care of your hair in a way that's good for your curls (whether completely CG or not) makes it much easier and faster to care for. My life became so much easier when I quit the constant battle of fighting what the good Lord gave me and started working with it.

i air dry all the time, but im not againt trying to diffuse. ill have to find my self some FOTE AVG asap then, lol. no, my hair isnt layered. its all basically one length. maybe i will get layers because thats not the first time someone said that to me.
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users

i air dry all the time, but im not againt trying to diffuse. ill have to find my self some FOTE AVG asap then, lol. no, my hair isnt layered. its all basically one length. maybe i will get layers because thats not the first time someone said that to me.

That would almost certainly help the shape and the volume. Almost everyone here has at least some layering. In fact, now that I know that, I'd say that's probably your biggest problem. Diffuser and AVG would probably still help, too.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

That would almost certainly help the shape and the volume. Almost everyone here has at least some layering. In fact, now that I know that, I'd say that's probably your biggest problem. Diffuser and AVG would probably still help, too.

thank you soo much (:
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)

• curlicarlycurlicarly Posts: 242Registered Users
    i dont have a diffuser .. but i should invest in one. and thanks for the reccomendations :)

If you're trying to decrease volume, I would stay away from diffusers. For me, diffusing practically doubles the size of my hair! Really, the most helpful thing would be weekly DTs. And CG, which you started :)
    3b/c coarse, porous (I think), and THICK! Mod CG since: 10/11/08
    Avoiding humectants and protein!
    curlicarly wrote: »

If you're trying to decrease volume, I would stay away from diffusers. For me, diffusing practically doubles the size of my hair! Really, the most helpful thing would be weekly DTs. And CG, which you started :)

eh okay, scratch the diffuser lol. will do :)
    supposedly 2c/3a.

turned CG- 2/17/09
    wish me luck ;)