No BC for me what about you?

CouvagirlCouvagirl Posts: 38Registered Users
Hi Fellow Transitioners!

My last chemical treatment (tex) was 8/20/08. I'm about 6 months into my transition and have no plans to BC.

I've been 'DCing' once a week, co-wasking once a week, washing weekly, taking my vitamins, running (i LOVE running!!!) 3 times a week and using my natural oils (jojoba, almond oil, shea butter etc). I've started to trim (just dusting) my ends once a month.

The toughest part is being sure to detangle the chemically treated hair very carefully. I don't comb the natural hair (only when it has conditioner).

I have about 3 inches of new growth right now and should have about 6 to 7 inches of new growth by 8/20/09.

What about you?

Comments

• DiscoveringMeAgainDiscoveringMeAgain Posts: 126Registered Users
    Hello transitioning curly!

I am in the same boat as you. I had my last relaxer in Aug08 as well.

I have been DC'ing at least once a week but I think I may need to at least twice a week because the state of my hair is SAD, lol. I'm also in the search for a better moisturizer as my relaxed hair is loving everything but my natural hair dries out quickly.
    What are you having success with?

I also searching for better leave-in conditioners because de-tangling is ROUGH, lol. I thought the natural hair would be the most challenging but it turns out that the relaxed hair is, go figure...
  • CouvagirlCouvagirl Posts: 38Registered Users
    Hi Discovering Me!

I know what you mean about products and the search for a leave-in to help with detangling.

I've had some success with a Shea butter mix i made. I put shea butter, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil and coconut oil in the blender. I blend it to a whipped butter consistency. I use this mixture on dry hair. It does not work well when my hair is wet (especially the chemical hair).

In addition I like Ms Jessie's [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink] (not every day though, on the weekends only. It takes forever to dry. I also like the Butter Creams from Ms Jessie.

For a leave in I use Carol Daughter but I mix in almond oil.

I still don't think I've found the perfect mix yet. Some hair days are much better than others. :lol:
  • retromariretromari Posts: 79Registered Users
    Hello ladies!

I'm in my 11th month of transitioning! My last relaxer was in Jan. 08. But I didn't start to consciously transition (stopped using heat, altered my regimen, embraced my new growth etc.) until March 08.

Couvagirl -- How do you use Miss Jessie's [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink]?

DiscoveringMeAgain -- I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Honey-Hemp-Conditioner-p-860.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-honey-hemp-conditioner]Oyin's Honey Hemp[/buylink] as a leave-in. I'm considering purchasing Qhemet's Cocoa Detangling Gee, I've heard some great reviews of it!
    I've heard it's a god-send for transitioners!

Qhemet: qhemetbiologics.com

Oyin: oyinhandmade.com
    (curlmart also carries this line)

Right now I've been wearing a protective style (braids) for roughly a month. I'll be letting my hair loose next month and deciding if I'm ready for the BC! :toothy10:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Natural since May 2009
    Goal: Thick Hair. Healthy Hair. BIG Hair!

The reason I begged my mom for a relaxer back in the 90's:
    PCJ No Lye Relaxer commericals !
    Thank you Oatmeal,

I use a mix of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Honey-Hemp-Conditioner-p-860.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-honey-hemp-conditioner]Oyin Honey Hemp[/buylink], Juices&Berries, and spring water and it's GREAT!

I'm also experimenting with Giovanni, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink], Alba.... well you get the point, lol. The list seems endless (I have a closet full of things to try out) and the task is great but I'm confident that I can find at least two/three good leave-in conditioners. Well, three of everything for that matter... :lol:
    The ultimate goal is 4 products in each category so I can switch up every quarter. When my hair was relaxed I would switch quarterly from Keracare to Sedal, to Motions, to SiliconMix and my hair thrived. I am hoping is will do the same in its natural state, lol.
    oatmeal wrote: »
    Hello ladies!

I'm in my 11th month of transitioning! My last relaxer was in Jan. 08. But I didn't start to consciously transition (stopped using heat, altered my regimen, embraced my new growth etc.) until March 08.

Couvagirl -- How do you use Miss Jessie's [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink]?

DiscoveringMeAgain -- I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Oyin-Honey-Hemp-Conditioner-p-860.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=oyin-honey-hemp-conditioner]Oyin's Honey Hemp[/buylink] as a leave-in. I'm considering purchasing Qhemet's Cocoa Detangling Gee, I've heard some great reviews of it!

Right now I've been wearing a protective style (braids) for roughly a month. I'll be letting my hair loose next month and deciding if I'm ready for the BC! :toothy10:
  • cysycacysyca Posts: 362Registered Users
    I commend you all for not wanting to BC but I can't take the relaxed end anymore that's why I'm BCing in the Spring. I'll have to get used to short hair but it will grow back...hopefully.:scratch:
    Live For Today!
  • SugarNutsSugarNuts Posts: 250Registered Users
    I am also not doing the BC. I am actually doing mini chops. When I was getting my sewn in weave as a transitional hair style. I would get a DT and trim of 1-2 inches every two months. I took out my weave yesterday for the last time in order to give my hair a break. At that time, I also received another DT and trim of 2-3 inches. I thought that most of hair grown out. I have about approx. 3 inches of relaxed ends. I will trim my hair next month about 2 more inches. Hopefully, I will remove all of my relaxed ends by early-mid Spring. I totally understand that issue about the relaxed ends. Mine were so tangle yesterday evening. I wanted to go for the clippers, but I restrained myself. I purchased a crap load of product based on everyone's reviews in the 4a & 4b forums (My texture is a 4a/4b combo). I also purchased Curl Mart's 4a Curly Cocktail. I thought it was a great price for so many full sized products. It was a great starting point. I don't know what my hair likes and dislikes at this moment. I am still learning.

:wav:
    Hair Type: 4a/4b Combo
    Last Relaxer: May/June 2008
    Big Chop: N/A
    http://members.fotki.com/SugarNuts (1/31)
    Detangle/Co-Wash: VO5 Freesia or Green Tea
    Shampoo: White Vinegar

Deep Con. Treat.: Aussie 3-min. & Olive Oil
    Final Wash: Nexxus Humectress
    Moist. Spritz: Glycerin, Water, Proclaim 7-Olive Oil, Suave Extreme Leave-In

age.png
  • CouvagirlCouvagirl Posts: 38Registered Users
    oatmeal wrote: »
    Hello ladies!

Hi Oatmeal!

I use Ms Jessie's when I do my braid outs. My hair needs to be really wet then I take a section and add product to it. I can also massage the product in to each section and let it air dry or sit under a dryer. What I've noticed is that now that I have more new growth I need to braid it before letting it free. This way I have less shrinkage :tongue:
  • SandraDgroovySandraDgroovy Posts: 139Registered Users
    My last chemical treatment (tex) was April 2008. I don't plan on doing a BC either, just mini trims to get rid of some relaxed ends that get stringy, and search & destroys once a month. I've been carefully trimming my own hair. I won't BC for a couple reasons: 1) I look scary with short hair, my face is too round. I got my hair cut short a couple times when I was younger, it was not a good look & painful to grow out. 2) the different textures are blending well for now, so it's so easy to take care of. I'm sure the two textures will be more obvious this fall so I will have to do something different! I have tried braidouts, bantu knots, and flexirods, but my hair just doesn't look right...my technique probably needs improvement, but for now, I let it do what it wants.

I haven't been dealing with a lot of breakage and the detangling hasn't been a nightmare (yet), I do it in the shower or right after I'm out the shower-with LOTS of conditioner. I'm becoming a product junkie throughout this process but its been fun experiementing with my hair!!
    Sandra, RN & fitness competitor.

Transitioning since 4/2008, with no plans to BC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandra-Fields-Fitness-Competitor/115579921807944

event.png
  • littleamazonlittleamazon Posts: 71Registered Users
    Hey everyone!

I'm also not doing the BC. I'm waiting for a length I'm more comforatble with. And plus I could never pull off short hair (my head's too big :p). I've been thinking of BCing next summer in 2010. Maybe sometime in March.

I've been transitioning for 4 months and it'll be 5 months exactly next week. I'm currently wearing braids right now. It's been 5 months but I feel like my hir hasn't been growing at all. I've just got 2 inches of new growth (I think) but I just feel like it should be more by now? Maybe I'm just in some sort of denial :/
    Last Relaxer: September 2008
    BC Date: June 24, 2009

4a/b Penspring sized coils
  • DeeMarieDeeMarie Posts: 56Registered Users
    I didn't want to do a BC either. I suppose it's not considered a BC if you transition for a year and gradually cut off ends--which I've been doing. I've cut about 5 inches.

I have about 5 - 6 inches of new growth. But I think at any moment now (maybe even this weekend) I'm just going to get rid of ALL the relaxed ends--about another 5 inches at this point after several trims.

My goal was to have enough for a ponytail, and I'm there. (It'll actually be more like a pigtail.)
    BC'd April 25, 2009 :happy10:: http://public.fotki.com/DeeMarie617/bc/image1.html

Started transitioning Feb. 2008. I love what I've discovered! My scalp thanks me every day.

http://public.fotki.com/DeeMarie617/
    pword: hairitis
  • Caramel_gyrl254Caramel_gyrl254 Posts: 56Registered Users
    Hey guyz!
    I also havent had my last relaxer since August 2008. I know when I 1st made my decision to go natural, I told myself that I would never do the BC because I couldn't see myself with a TWA, but I noticed that as time goes along, I just want to chop all of my relaxed hair off because I don't know how to deal with the 2 different textures. So i think I am going to wait till the summer to do the BC. So big ups to you :tongue:. Do you make your own natural products or do you buy them?
    Last Relaxer: Aug 2008
    BC: May 14, 2009

I Finally have a Fotki
    http://members.fotki.com/Caramelgyrl254/
    :toothy8:
  • SandraDgroovySandraDgroovy Posts: 139Registered Users
    I make my own "scalp growth stimulator" since I started transitioning. I've been adding natural products to my cowash and deep conditioners, like honey and evoo. I use shea butter and coconut oil as well.
    Sandra, RN & fitness competitor.

Transitioning since 4/2008, with no plans to BC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sandra-Fields-Fitness-Competitor/115579921807944

event.png
    Hey guyz!
    I also havent had my last relaxer since August 2008. I know when I 1st made my decision to go natural, I told myself that I would never do the BC because I couldn't see myself with a TWA, but I noticed that as time goes along, I just want to chop all of my relaxed hair off because I don't know how to deal with the 2 different textures. So i think I am going to wait till the summer to do the BC. So big ups to you :tongue:. Do you make your own natural products or do you buy them?

I am madly in love with Afroveda Butters (every single one is GREAT) and Karens body beautiful, especially the hair nectar). It's taken several months to find what is "working" for me but now that I have I couldn't be happier!

www.afroveda.com
    www.karensbodybeautiful.com

Good luck finding what works for you!
  • Caramel_gyrl254Caramel_gyrl254 Posts: 56Registered Users
    Oh ok! Thanks guys, I am going to have to find those and try them!
    I always wanted to try making my own products I just thought that the ingredients would be hard to find. I cant wait till I find what my regimen is going to be.
    Last Relaxer: Aug 2008
    BC: May 14, 2009

I Finally have a Fotki
    http://members.fotki.com/Caramelgyrl254/
    :toothy8:
  • Nichole23Nichole23 Posts: 57Registered Users
    Hey Ladies,

My last relaxer was about a year go and I don't have any plans to BC anytime soon. I'm trying to make it to 2 years if not longer. I just feel longer hair compliments me better, so the when I BC, I'm hoping for a full head of long hair (shrinkage included).
    2a7y32g.jpg

Natural | BC: Sept 4th, 2009 | Curl Type: 3c
    Fine | Low Porosity
  • tnaturaltnatural Posts: 362Registered Users
    My last texturizer was 9-18-08 and I also don't plan on BCing for a while. I did trim my hair a couple of weeks ago to get rid of some little dead weight, but it was only about an inch. Anything more than that probably won't happen until 9-18-09 or longer.
    Last texturizer-9/18/08
    BC-12/30/09

event.png
  • krj1908krj1908 Posts: 80Registered Users
    Couvagirl wrote: »
    Hi Fellow Transitioners!

My last chemical treatment (tex) was 8/20/08. I'm about 6 months into my transition and have no plans to BC.

I've been 'DCing' once a week, co-wasking once a week, washing weekly, taking my vitamins, running (i LOVE running!!!) 3 times a week and using my natural oils (jojoba, almond oil, shea butter etc). I've started to trim (just dusting) my ends once a month.

The toughest part is being sure to detangle the chemically treated hair very carefully. I don't comb the natural hair (only when it has conditioner).

I have about 3 inches of new growth right now and should have about 6 to 7 inches of new growth by 8/20/09.

What about you?

I had my last relaxer in June of 08 and so far I have about 5.5 or 6 inches of new growth. I actually love the look and feel of my natural hair. I never really knew I had such nice curls until now. I think I actually have a wavy, curly thing going. My hair grows out about a 1/2 inch or more straight and then it waves and then a little more straight and then a wave. I actually love to touch my hair all the time! I do occationally still get it blown out straight for special occasions. But never plan to go back to any chemicals! :protest:
    Mixed Hair 3B / 3C
    Relaxer-free since June 2008
    Shampoo: Deva Care No-Poo, Deva Curl Low-Poo and Kenra Clarifier
    Conditioner: Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner or Joico Moisture Recovery; Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Styling: Mixed Chicks Leave-In, Deva Curl Set it Free, Deva AnGell, Deva Curl Mist-er Right
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I did the BC, but I wanted to let you ladies know about Mook who has been transitioning for 23 months!!

Here is her fotki and here is an interview she just did for my blog. Her hair is amazing.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Im not doing a BC either, my head is way to big for short hair. Im shooting for 30 months if not more depending on the length.
    My hair is even mix of course/silky 4a/4b so my hair shrinks up a lot! When its wet it hangs to my shoulders and stretches down about 2.5-3 inches away from apl and when dry it shrinks up to just below my ear. Not a cute look for me. Im using ayurvedic herbs and sulfur as growth aides to get as much growth as possible before the relaxed ends go.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • 757diva757diva Posts: 40Registered Users
    I just decided in Feb 09 that I wanted to transition so I haven't even started the hard part yet but I've been using MegaTek and have some new growth already (no a bunch but its coming). I don't want to do the BC until my NG is at the length that my hair is now and then I will cut off the relaxed it. I cut my hair 2 years ago and I was SL and I don't want to do that everrrr again.

Good luck with your transitioning ladies!!!
  • curlycuriouscurlycurious Posts: 10Registered Users
    Hello,

Yeah i've been struggling with the question "to BC or not to BC?" and i think i've decided not to BC. Transitioning from relaxed to natural is already difficult enough...i don't think i will be able to handle short hair....idk tho cuz the ladies with their twa's look really cute, i'm just afraid i won't look so cute. But who knows
  • DivaGyrlDivaGyrl Posts: 84Registered Users
    I too have decided against a BC. A few weeks ago I was all about the BC Itch but I've decided that I'm going to try and transition until the end of the year and then get rid of the rest of the damaged ends. I've been trimming the ends every week bit by bit and there's definite improvement. I just don't think a TWA is for me right now.
  • MsZareeMsZaree Posts: 36Registered Users
    This thread has made me rethink or whether or not I should BC. I am not a fan of short hair but am looking forward to not having to deal with the 2 textures. About every 4 months I have cut a good amount of my hair off. But I still have 3 to 4 inches of relaxed hair in some areas. I was thinking of cutting in late May/early June, will be a year by then. Maybe I can last longer and get closer to the length I desire.
    Last touch up: May 1, 2008
    BC: May 24, 2009
  • E.B.E.B. Posts: 158Registered Users
    I'm not going to BC. I plan to cut off my relaxed hair next year. I decided to transition when I saw Marie1837's fotki. She transitioned for 3+ years and her hair looked great the entire time.
  • Yaya24Yaya24 Posts: 27Registered Users
    I just did a mini bc last Friday- (from APL to CBL). It was a lot of hair to let go of, but I was very excited about letting some of the relaxed ends go (about 3 inches)

I am happy about my move, but rocking a TWA is not an option with my features. If I do get anxious (in about 6- 12 months) I may just BC and rock full wigs or full sew ins.
  • foxybrownfoxybrown Posts: 14Registered Users
    i have been transitioning for over two years(2 yrs 6 months to be exact) with doin jus mini trims no BC for me its been a long journey i mostly did sew ins as my protective style I still made sure to wash, deep condition, and MOISTURIZE my hair beneath the weave :angel12: hallelujiah
  • Stephanie198907Stephanie198907 Posts: 2,607Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    foxybrown wrote: »
    i have been transitioning for over two years(2 yrs 6 months to be exact) with doin jus mini trims no BC for me its been a long journey i mostly did sew ins as my protective style I still made sure to wash, deep condition, and MOISTURIZE my hair beneath the weave :angel12: hallelujiah

my goal for transitioning is 30 months, if not longer if I can keep going. 30 months = 2 years 6 months exactly. How long is your hair, I was hoping to have at least shoulder length unstretched hair when I BC.
    Last Relaxer: Nov. 07
    BC: May. 2010 (30 months)
    Hair Type: thick 4b/4a
    Current length: back at APL
    Goal length: hip :color:
    Staples: natural growth aides
  • Black Hoya ChickBlack Hoya Chick Posts: 185Registered Users
    still not BCing. I trim 1/2-1 inch every month. at that rate, i will be fully natural by this August. that will be 17 months of transitioning. i am SO ready to be free!
    Kinky Curly Knot Today = :love5:
    Philippians 1:3

Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nigerian-Princess/about/

Current: Natural 3C/4A BSL; Long Term Goal: WL
    34pluo8.jpg
  • lightskinbabylightskinbaby Posts: 22Registered Users
    I don't plan to BC either. I did, however, get frustrated three weeks ago and chopped off about 4 inches of the relaxed ends. I plan to transition until Feb. of 2010 will make a full year of transitioning. Then I'll BC!
  • ShinkyShinky Posts: 50Registered Users
    My last relaxer was 11/08. I am about 6 months in. I don't plan on BC'ing because I just don't want to rock the short style. I am having difficulty with detangling and my ends looking a mess. I think I am oging to try Miss Jessie's [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly pudding[/buylink] for some knot outs. I keep getting knots when I detangle.
    comic-p.jpg
    4A/B
    100% Natural as of 11/6/09 :eek:
    Wearing my fro NOW
    GOAL:APL-DEC 2010
    Staples:
    KCCC, KCNT, Lisa's Hair Elixir, Creme of Nature, HHHH, Coconut Oil, ORS, Queen Helene
    Check out my fotki for recent updates

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file