Styles with Hair Loss

squigglycurlssquigglycurls Posts: 82Registered Users
Hello Ladies,

It has been two years since I've posted. I've since texturized, relaxed, and dyed my hair, only to lose portions of it! I have picky hair in the back, and a fire engine color I dispise! I made a terrible mistake going back to the chemical crack! I have been growing my hair out since November. Although the front of it looks okay, I have broken off pieces all throughout the back. I wore extension twists for two months, but took them out, as they are too troublesome to take out. I was left with knots and rough hair. I deep conditioned and have been wearing it in a ponytail since. It's now paper thin! I have to wrap three scrunchies around the bun just to make it appear like I actually have hair in the back. My dilemma is that this weekend my DH is taking me out to a formal dance for V-Day and I'm stumped as to what to do with this mess on my head. I'm thinking of getting a weave. I've never had one before, so I don't know what to expect or even if its a good idea. I've had twist extensions, but that's different. A weave, means caring for it so that it doesn't look like horse hair on your head and I'm at a loss. My other option is a bob, short in the back, longer in the front. If I get the bob, I won't have my ponytail to fall back on. I'd have to keep a weave or braids/twists until it grows out. I don't know what to do! Please help!

Comments

• curlee4lifecurlee4life Posts: 219Registered Users
    Hello Ladies,

It has been two years since I've posted. I've since texturized, relaxed, and dyed my hair, only to lose portions of it! I have picky hair in the back, and a fire engine color I dispise! I made a terrible mistake going back to the chemical crack! I have been growing my hair out since November. Although the front of it looks okay, I have broken off pieces all throughout the back. I wore extension twists for two months, but took them out, as they are too troublesome to take out. I was left with knots and rough hair. I deep conditioned and have been wearing it in a ponytail since. It's now paper thin! I have to wrap three scrunchies around the bun just to make it appear like I actually have hair in the back. My dilemma is that this weekend my DH is taking me out to a formal dance for V-Day and I'm stumped as to what to do with this mess on my head. I'm thinking of getting a weave. I've never had one before, so I don't know what to expect or even if its a good idea. I've had twist extensions, but that's different. A weave, means caring for it so that it doesn't look like horse hair on your head and I'm at a loss. My other option is a bob, short in the back, longer in the front. If I get the bob, I won't have my ponytail to fall back on. I'd have to keep a weave or braids/twists until it grows out. I don't know what to do! Please help!

Based on the situation you have described, your hair and scalp have been tortured to the point of capitulation.

I would recommend purchasing a human hair wig that compliments you for the special event.

What your hair/scalp now needs is major tlc. The damaged hair will have to eventually be cut. The new growth will need to be pampered and you will need a great deal of patience.

If it were me I would cut all the damaged hair off (fade the back and cut the top sides to the point of the new growth) and use the wig as an option for special events or work (if necessary).

Good luck!

event.png

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
    BC: May 2006

• squigglycurlssquigglycurls Posts: 82Registered Users
    Thank you for replying Curlie4Life. Your hair is beautiful! I had my hair flat ironed and trimmed into a bob. I'm too chicken to cut it all off, so I'll wear the bun for now, although the wig option is not a bad idea. I think I will invest in one. Thanks for your help!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi and welcome,

Since you came to a natural board to get suggestions, I'm going to give you natural advice. It sounds like your hair is pretty damaged and looks it and at the same time you don't have serious length and what you have is choppy, breaking and thin. If I were in your shoes (and I have been) I would big chop to a TWA and wear it proudly. Benefit is you only have to keep it clean and moisturized; that's it. If you need another look, like C4L said, you can wear the occasional wig. A TwA will give your hair and scalp a chance rejuvenate.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • CouvagirlCouvagirl Posts: 38Registered Users
    Hi!

We've all been there so don't feel bad.

I recommend cutting the chemical hair and having a natural braider braid cornrow your natural hair (ie without any hair extentions as they can further dry out natural hair). You can then were wigs for a while. Check out 'his and her hair goods'. You can buy quality hair from them. I would not recommend hair weaving. I had weaves for about 10 years. The problem is that it can really place a strain on your hair shaft. You can have your hair re-braided as need for about 12 months.

By this time next year you should have enough growth (about 6 inches) to rock the curlies.

Lets stay 'creamy crack' free together :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file