Over 40 Hair styles

donnafinadonnafina Posts: 43Registered Users
I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for hairstyles for over 40s. Should we keep it shorter? Does longer hair drag our faces down? I've put on 30 pounds in the last 7 years (got married) and don't recognize my round face, and I turned 50 this year, so I need advice and a new style or a direction to go in! Thanks!
2b-3c depending on the weather, conditioner, length, etc.
Going grey since April, 2006. No cutting since May / June, 2006.

Comments

• ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It just depends on the individual. I know some people get all bothered thinking others are telling them that they have to keep their hair short as they age. Seriously, I NEVER hear anyone say that.

That being said, I do keep mine short now, because my longer hair was dragging my face down.

I was pretty when I was young and as I got over 45 I didn't look so hot anymore and I wasn't sure why except for normal aging of course. I got my hair cut short at age 50 and I look way way better (got many many complements on how much better I looked).

After almost 3 years of short hair I was even growing it out for the last 4 months because I thought maybe I should try it longer again. I gave up last week and got it cut again. I look better and younger with the cut.

But it's all INDIVIDUAL.

Edited for factual error.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,709Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I look better with my hair short, but I like it better long. It's chin length right now while I grow out the grey, but as soon as that skunk stripe is gone, i'm letting it grow long again. It's just easier for me to have enough hair to put in a pony (especially in the summer when I take the top off the Jeep).
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i am seriously growing my hair LONG and I am 56. it is now BSL and I am LOVING it as is everyone else except certain people who think it is too wild. i don't think it is dragging my face down at this point tho who knows what will be...i do think that short hair on a chunky person is not good--more hair to balance is better.
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,751Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wear mine long. I've heard that you should go shorter and lighter when you're 40 plus. I feel I look better with mine long and I can always wear it up. My wild hair makes me feel sexy. :wink:
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,751Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I wear mine long. I've heard that you should go shorter and lighter when you're 40 plus. I feel I look better with mine long and I can always wear it up. My wild hair makes me feel sexy. :wink:
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • CopperWavesCopperWaves Posts: 83Registered Users
    I wear mine long(BSL right now) and I am 57.I agree with everybody else....just wear it however you like!! :)
    My hair is not the boss of me!!!!
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    55 here, and I wear mine long. It is shoulder length. I also have been (sorry girls) wearing it straight lately. I think women in this day and age can wear their hair differently than what was accepted years ago because most of us color it and look young for our age.

I say go with whatever you like and feel good with.
    3b/c
    I wear mine long(BSL right now) and I am 57.I agree with everybody else....just wear it however you like!! :)

your hair is gorgeous-keep it long for sure-love the color too. what kind of color do you use on it or is it all natural?
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
    Thank you :o .I have been admiring your hair for some time. I have my hair colored at the salon since I'm too messy when I do it at home.She uses Redken Colorage on the roots(permanent color ) and Redken Shades(semi-permanent color) on the ends every few months or whenever they fade. I wish it were all natural but I see a lot of gray when the roots need done! :lol: I used to color it black in my teens to cover the red .
  • SilverwoodSilverwood Posts: 39Registered Users
    My hair is about chin length in front when stretched, but I'm thinking of getting it cut. I'm not sure I like the combination of gray and longer with my face. I've been thinking it drags my face down, too. The humidity is getting worse and my hair is getting bigger and frizzier by the day!
  • telynorestelynores Posts: 19Registered Users
    On the topic of long hair "weighing down" or "dragging down" the face, I believe it depends upon how it is worn. Even a very young woman, say 20/30-ish, can look "dragged down" if her hair is overwhelming to her bone/facial structure.

DonnaFina & Silverwood, if those are your "shortie" pix as avatars, the curls look quite nice! IRL if they have movement (springy, bouncy, alive, vibrant) why not rock short?!

Make a Fab-50s Fashion-Statement...A dusting of blush at the temple. A wash of sheer/shimmer eye colour. A great sweep of black (yes, black!) mascara. A lick of pinky lipgloss. Perhaps a unique headband and earrings or necklace. Voila! Retro, Mod, Groove, Today.

The long and short of it (tongue-in-cheek) :wink: I believe style has more to do with it than length. Oh, and makeup, clothing, accessories, and attitude complete the ensemble...
    "3-something-of-everything."
    My name is Welsh for player of the harp.
  • LavenderCurlsLavenderCurls Posts: 1,478Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Wow, from looking at your pics I thought you were in your 20's or something! I know you don't have your face showing or anything .. but that's the impression I got when I first looked at them!

I've always been told I look better with short hair, but then again, I haven't had it long in eons. I'm fighting the "cut it short because I'm 48" thing now. My hubby is encouraging me to grow it. I look better with bangs, get compliments when it's pulled up at the sides and figure I can wear it like that when it gets longer if I begin feeling "old". Most people drop their jaw when they find out my age or how old my oldest son is - they think I'm around 35. Yay! Besides hubby, that keeps me encouraged that I can still get away with growing my hair a bit longer.

Now watch me get frustrated this weekend and cut it :shock: :lol:
    CG-modified since 4/05
    2b/3a and 3b on occasion!
    Products: The hair aisle in my own cabinets. :roll:
    Best definition winner: KCCC
    Best volume winner: LOOB

Wow, from looking at your pics I thought you were in your 20's or something! I know you don't have your face showing or anything .. but that's the impression I got when I first looked at them!

Now watch me get frustrated this weekend and cut it :shock: :lol:

now on our 3b board we have a growout challenge. ONe of the things we do is if someone is really having urges to cut their hair they have to talk about it on the board before they do anything, and let us help solve any problems with the hair. most people regret cutting when they do it out of frustration on any particular day as opposed to a plan with a goal for shorter hair.
    Yes I agree copperwaves you look very young tho I would also love to see face pics!! I am very interested to see how we over 40 (and over 50's) are withstanding the onslaughts of time. I think the longer my hair gets the better it is. I get compliments all the time and even get hit on by young guys that I meet when hiking (though it might be the dogs they are attracted to :)
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
    [/b]LavenderCurls wrote:

Wow,thanks! Guess the back of my head looks young,anyway! :lol: You don't look your age!
    Banjocurl wrote:
    Yes I agree copperwaves you look very young tho I would also love to see face pics!! I am very interested to see how we over 40 (and over 50's) are withstanding the onslaughts of time. I think the longer my hair gets the better it is. I get compliments all the time and even get hit on by young guys that I meet when hiking (though it might be the dogs they are attracted to

I never like pics of my face...not photogenic.I also wonder if you have any privacy concerns about showing pics on line? You look young for your age and your hair looks great! I'm keeping my hair this length for now. This is short for me! :)
    [[/b]Banjocurl wrote:
    Yes I agree copperwaves you look very young tho I would also love to see face pics!! I am very interested to see how we over 40 (and over 50's) are withstanding the onslaughts of time. I think the longer my hair gets the better it is. I get compliments all the time and even get hit on by young guys that I meet when hiking (though it might be the dogs they are attracted to

I never like pics of my face...not photogenic.I also wonder if you have any privacy concerns about showing pics on line? You look young for your age and your hair looks great! I'm keeping my hair this length for now. This is short for me! :)
    [/quote]

thanks!! i have tons of pics on line from hiking and music and all kinds of stuff for years. so far no problem, as long as i keep my clothes on :) can't wait till my hair gets long as yours....
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
    Banjocurl wrote:
    So far no problem as long as I keep my clothes on.

:lol: :lol: That's funny! I'll definitely remember to keep my clothes on....don't want to scare people!! :P :)
  • MarMar Posts: 3,004Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Donnafina-welcome to the board,from another Michigander:)-I wore my hair uber-short in my 20's and when I was around 35,started growing it out.(I am 43 now)
    It's long now and I LOVE it.
    I don't think you have to go short because you are "of a certain age" ;)
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • alim1216alim1216 Posts: 240Registered Users
    I agree with the ladies on the board. It's all a matter of how you feel with the way your hair looks. I will say this, however, I have found in my experience that if you are on the short side (height), sometimes long hair makes you look shorter and can also make you look heavier. Not that that matters to me at all, because I set my mind on growing out my hair over 10 years ago, and I'm finally doing it, so at this point I wouldn't care if I was as tall and thin as a giraffe or as short and heavy as a hippo, this hair is going to grow as long as I can get it! :lol:

Also, as an aside regarding long hair: If you will look to old pictures of the 18-1900's women grew their hair long, regardless of age, and it was beautiful. I believe this 'keep your hair short as you get older' was strictly for convenience and nothing more. My mother, bless her heart, is 75 years old. She keeps her beautiful silky smooth straight silver hair below shoulder blade length. She looks terrible in short hair, as do I. AND, until about 2 1/2 years ago, her hair was down to mid-calf! She cut it because she got tired of carrying the weight around. Oh, and it didin't lengthen or drag down her face. I think my mother was and is beautiful and so is her hair! :D
    Hair 3a/3b.
  • alim1216alim1216 Posts: 240Registered Users
    BTW BANJO,

Been a long time since we 'chatted'. I have to say, your hair is looking long and phenomenal!!! Keep up the great growth! :wink:
    Hair 3a/3b.
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Since 40 is the new 30 :wink: , I see nothing wrong with having long hair. I think the notion that once a woman hits a certain age she has to cut off her hair is outdated. As long as the style and shape is kept in tip-top condition, it can look fabulous and feminine.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think the notion that once a woman hits a certain age she has to cut off her hair is outdated

I agree. And I don't think anyone even says that ANYMORE. I don't understand why people even ask what length they SHOULD wear their hair. You wear it how you want to!
    Scarlet wrote:
    Since 40 is the new 30 :wink: , I see nothing wrong with having long hair. I think the notion that once a woman hits a certain age she has to cut off her hair is outdated. As long as the style and shape is kept in tip-top condition, it can look fabulous and feminine.

i thought 55 was the new 30 :)
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
  • cara4curlscara4curls Posts: 336Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Frist up, if you have long, lovely curls, and you look great in them, don't let ANYONE tell you that you have to have an "age-appropriate haircut" and color! I've looked at a bunch of the reader pix on this site, and I'm envious of those who have really long, really curly hair - I wish mine were even curlier! But I am growing it, as I'll describe below.
    Since there are many of us who are breaking the conformist mold by having our own general style, as well as embracing curliness, that old saw about "shorter and lighter" doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. But I believe it is still prevalent in conservative areas of the country, and I do see 50-something people who would look good with something else be in the mold of the safe, boring blondish bob, usually blown-out. Lots of these folks are either older affluent retirees, or visitors from more conservative areas than here. The other extreme I see around Santa Fe are the women who pride themselves on being "all-natural" with scraggly-looking, mousy grey hair that has hardly ever had a good trim, or a shampoo that at least left the hair shiny, for instance.(Many of the healthfood store shampoos leave the hair feeling "not quite clean" and dull-looking, IMO). Then there are some folks who are more individual, and anything goes, including waist-length beautiful silvery curls! There are alot of variables - one's height, weight/physique, lifestyle, clothing style, type of hair, facial features etc. that get taken into account for a good look.
    For myself(nearing 59), I'm growing my hair - 2 haircuts ago my haircutter, who is usually quite good, cut it about an inch and half too short(that was back in November). It's starting to look pretty good, and I'm going to see how it looks at shoulder length and beyond. I'm only having trims every 4 months. Since I think my hair is 3A with a bit of 2B-C on top(drives me nuts sometimes - as that part when it's cut too short goes straight-ugh!), it's curling more as it grows. Oh, and I color my hair too - not the generic blonde that is so-o often recommended for women of my age, but a rich deep coppery brown, which goes well with my warm coloring. I had naturally near-black hair as my virgin haircolor before it got alot of grey. Grey just makes me feel old, so the bottle remains as part of my arsenal-LOL!
    health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
    cara4curls wrote:
    Frist up, if you have long, lovely curls, and you look great in them, don't let ANYONE tell you that you have to have an "age-appropriate haircut" and color!

got that one right!!!!!
    cara4curls wrote:
    The other extreme I see around Santa Fe are the women who pride themselves on being "all-natural" with scraggly-looking, mousy grey hair that has hardly ever had a good trim, or a shampoo that at least left the hair shiny, for instance.(Many of the healthfood store shampoos leave the hair feeling "not quite clean" and dull-looking, IMO). Then there are some folks who are more individual, and anything goes, including waist-length beautiful silvery curls! There are alot of variables - one's height, weight/physique, lifestyle, clothing style, type of hair, facial features etc. that get taken into account for a good look.
    goes straight-ugh!), it's curling more as it grows. Oh, and I color my hair too - not the generic blonde that is so-o often recommended for women of my age, but a rich deep coppery brown, which goes well with my warm coloring. I had naturally near-black hair as my virgin haircolor before it got alot of grey. Grey just makes me feel old, so the bottle remains as part of my arsenal-LOL!

Cara--i know what u mean about the all natural scraggly grey types, see them in the square dance oldtime music world all the time too.
    right on girl!! glad you are coloring and having fun w your hair. can we see some pictures?? i am not ready for gray either....
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
  • kinkeecurlfrizzkinkeecurlfrizz Posts: 11Registered Users
    I recently cut my hair..However, I found a hairstylist who is dying to help me grow my hair. When I cut it short, she was the one that cried.!!!Oh well ..I am not going to get too attached, because once u find a good stylist they disappear without telling you!!!!!!!
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I actually started letting my hair grow longer the year I turned 50. It had been above shoulder length forever, and I wanted a change. It got so much curlier when it grew longer! I'm not old enough to have old lady hair.

Yesterday I saw a woman with lovely silver curls about 3 inches below her shoulders. Gorgeous!
    mendy20060120curlidolisrael0al.th.jpg

this is a billboard in israel-my current hair idol!!! i think my hair could look a little like this when it gets longer?? dream on girl...:)
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
  • vampirecurlsvampirecurls Posts: 50Registered Users
    I dont believe a woman should follow the media norm of what is attractive. We are each our own and if long hair over 40 is what you like and feel pretty with then by all means wear it with pride. One thing that makes long hair beautiful is all the many ways you can style it. Up or down its devine. If you feel its dragging your face down then try a trendy up do with attractive hair adornments. Pulling it from your face is often just the trick to make you look more "mature" but yet still very desirable. Let's face it no matter your age men love the fantasy of a woman letting her long flowing mane down so he can run his hands in it or smell its sweet aroma. Im a firm believer that women should look like women and not masculine. But to each his own I guess. I just think a long mane of curls has more play and a short cut can only do what it was cut to look like and there is no playful side to it.
    I got a haircut ,probably the first I've had in about 25 years or so. I kept my hair all one length with bangs so trims were all I had done. I decided I needed to update my hair a bit...time for a change so I took a chance and got long layers and I am growing out my bangs! I couldn't find a stylist who was experienced in cutting curly/wavy hair so I went to my stylist. I told her no razors,no thinning and I must be able to put it up . She said we can always add more layers later if I want to. Anyhow I did add a couple of new pics in my album if anyone is interested.
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    I participated in a discussion like this at another board last year and when I first posted I had long hair (a little past my shoulder) and liked it. However, I've found there are quite a few "variables" and facts that influence which length any particular woman should wear. Since I am short (5'1") I have noticed in two occasions that I allowed mine to just keep growing that it did seem to overwhelm me. I've been a little overweight and for the past year I seem to lose and gain back from 5-8 lbs. AND when I'm on the "heavier" side of that variation the longer hair doesn't do me any favors.

At first I thought I just needed a trim so I had a few inches taken off but it didn't do much for me because basically it kept the same boring "flat" shape, I realized what I really needed was a little volume on top because my face is ROUND. So I went back and got my layers shortened several inches more and it was as if suddenly 10 years had been lifted off me, I even felt "perkier".

So I've decided that for as long as I'm "chunky" I'm going to keep it at a "medium length" (above the shoulders), too short just emphasizes the roundness (and makes my already small head make my body look wider). I gave myself an acceptably good trim maybe a couple of weeks ago but I think at least another inch needs to come off from the back and all the layers to give me back the more "youthful" look I had before.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file