Domperidone??? (Breastfeeding - Prescribed for low supply!)

SisaSisa Posts: 759Registered Users
Anyone here successfully use this drug? (Or UNsuccessfully?)

I'm just tired out! My milk supply seemed to just dry up overnight two Saturdays ago (January 31st) – which was also the day I noticed a DRASTIC change in my son’s behaviour.

He was always low on the percentile charts, but developmentally where he ought to be, and wetting a sufficient number of diapers each day. I was always having to defend his weight, but I knew in my heart of hearts he was OK.

After Saturday, he wasn’t wetting even four diapers per day, and he was frustrated at the breast (batting the breast and chomping down on the nipple). He was not sleeping well, and stayed up all day with no naps before finally giving in to the exhaustion.

I had noticed a difference in the feel of the breast (softer, and not engorging anymore) and that I was not leaking anymore about a week prior, but my La Leche League leader told me that was a normal thing to experience as milk supply regulates, and that I probably had sufficient milk supply and ought not to worry. I had the flu around this time, too.

Anway... After lots of skin-to-skin and breastfeeding on demand all day Saturday and Sunday, and not seeing a difference in supply, I did three things on Monday: I started taking Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle, I rented a hospital-grade breast pump (which I use after each feeding), and I offered my son formula in a bottle to supplement - the thing I so did not want to do, and avoided until I just couldn't risk his health on the principle that I wanted to exclusively breastfeed him.

Since last Monday, I am still doing those three things, but have not seen any difference in my milk supply. I pump about 6 to 8 ounces in a 24 hour period. So as a last resort (can't think of anything ELSE to do!), I've started the Domperidone.

I e-mailed Dr. Newman (the Breastfeeding Guru, so I'm told...), and asked him if there might be any link to my PCOS. He said there could, but didn't offer any article or study to back that idea up, so I imagine it's an unstudied thing at this point.

Either way, I will still breastfeed and pump to use that as I supplement in place of a bit of the formula. I know that even 30 or 50% my milk is better than nothing. It's just really tiring me out.:sleepy2:

P.S. I know this kind-of sort-of pertains to Delma's thread, but I didn't want to barge in there, as she has a different problem. :)

Comments

• medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    A very good friend of mine used Domperidone in 1999/2000 with success. If there's anything specific you want to know, PM me and I'll call her.
  • SisaSisa Posts: 759Registered Users
    Thanks, medussa. :)

I guess right now I am just very impatient. I want it to kick in RIGHT NOW, y'know?

I spilled (uh, dropped, actually) about 1 1/2 ounces of expressed milk today, and I almost cried over that spilled milk! Last two pumpings have yielded only 1/2 ounce each. :(
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    I don't have any experience with domperidone, but I just wanted to sympathize with what you're going through. I had similar issues with my first baby, where he was dropping in the weight percentiles and I was concerned that he wasn't getting enough milk. We also ended up supplementing and I felt super guilty and inadequate at the time.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things, and like you said, every ounce of milk will be so good for him and he will benefit. I like this article about weight/breastfeeding concerns. Maybe you can take something from it.

Good luck! And don't cry over spilled milk. :lol:
    ehLB.jpg
  • SisaSisa Posts: 759Registered Users
    Thanks, Sarah.

I read the article, and it's a good one.

I am still waiting on the Domperidone... In the mean time, I am just doing all I can to care for my boy. :)
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    I just wanted to add my ((Hugs))!! I don't have advice about Domperidone but I hope it works for you.

I have 2 kids who, if I look back honestly, didn't really "thrive" on exclusive breastmilk, so I understand your feelings of frustration and guilt. Good for you for following your instincts and doing what you needed to for your baby boy - that makes you a great Mom!

BTW - my supply dropped when I got my period back at 4.5 months.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file