Spinoff: when is it time for a toddler bed?

imagenimagen Posts: 343Registered Users
Reading the pillow thread got me thinking, when is it time to transition to a toddler bed?

Laura will be 2 in April. I don't know if it's worth getting a true toddler bed or if we should just get a bedroom set with a twin bed. I worry though that a twin is too high and with either bed she is more free to get up and out of bed when she wakes up at night (which she still does :sad3: ) With a twin I can lay with her, obviously we wouldn't be able to do that with a toddler bed. If she is still waking at night, do you think I should wait?

If you did the toddler bed, when did you start using it and when did they go to a twin bed. My son went from our bed straight to a twin around 2, but Laura seems to be so much smaller than he was.
.png

.png

Comments

• sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    For us, it was when we needed the crib for the new baby. :tongue3:

We did use a toddler bed because he was under 2, and a twin bed just seemed so high if he fell out. But we have some friends with a daughter who is about to turn 2, and I think they're planning to put her in a twin or full.
    ehLB.jpg
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    We decided to swap toddler bed/crib with my friend who is pregnant. He is a great sleeper and just lays there and falls asleep on his own most nights, so the toddler bed thing wasn't as crazy as it is with some kids. He loves it! I am thinking about getting a regualr bed and just putting it on the floor at first so it's not so high. I am a light sleeper and can hear him through the monitor if he gets out of bed (because he starts playing with his toys and talking to himself). I'd rather him get out of his toddler bed and play in his pretty safe room than climb out of the crib and get hurt. Naps in the toddler bed aren't always as easy though... We still have the crib, so we put the mattress in the crib if he wont lay down in the toddler bed for a nap. And, I have gotten in teh toddler bed with him. You would be surprised how roomy it is!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not there yet, but I would get a twin bed and just put the mattress on the floor at first so they don't fall far.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,165Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Neither of my kids had toddler beds - I didn't even know what they were really until I read about them on here (there was a thread a little while ago). They both just went into a normal single bed with no problems, never fell out or climbed out much for that matter.
    3b in South Australia.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    imagen wrote: »
    Reading the pillow thread got me thinking, when is it time to transition to a toddler bed?

Laura will be 2 in April. I don't know if it's worth getting a true toddler bed or if we should just get a bedroom set with a twin bed. I worry though that a twin is too high and with either bed she is more free to get up and out of bed when she wakes up at night (which she still does :sad3: ) With a twin I can lay with her, obviously we wouldn't be able to do that with a toddler bed. If she is still waking at night, do you think I should wait?

If you did the toddler bed, when did you start using it and when did they go to a twin bed. My son went from our bed straight to a twin around 2, but Laura seems to be so much smaller than he was.

our son transitioned to a regular bedroom set with a twin bed when he was in his 2s. we skipped the toddler set to save money. we put his mattress on the lowest position so that he'd be as close to the floor as possible, and bought him a safety rail that was secured under the weight of the mattress. he never fell out of his bed.

he's 10 and his furniture is still attractive and strong. our son is tall, so we expect that we'll have to buy him a full size bed eventually, but keep the rest of the set, as it's in great shape.

we took the side rail off the crib for our daughter to extend the life of the crib, and buy us some time of investing in another furniture set. we bought her new bedding and pillows to make it look like a day bed. she loved it ... and did roll out of it onto the floor sometimes, but never hurt herself. we'd find her on her knees, butt in the air sleeping on the floor beside the bed. i know, bad parents. get over it. we did. :tongue3: she got her big girl furniture in preschool, is in 1st grade, and still needs her safety rail because she's all over the place when she sleeps.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    rainshower wrote: »
    we'd find her on her knees, butt in the air sleeping on the floor beside the bed.

:lol: That is an incredibly cute mental image.
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I never bothered with toddler frames. It seemed a waste of money. I just put them right into regular beds at 2.5 to 3 years old. I didn't bother with guard rails or putting the mattress on the floor either. You'd be surprised how early kids have a sense of where the edge of the bed is while they are sleeping.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    We converted the crib to a toddler bed when the little booger started trying to climb out of the bed (around age 2). We'll probably get her a twin bed when she turns 3 and let her help pick out new linens, etc. She is pretty good about staying in her room at night, though naps are a little harder. Depending on the day, sometimes she sleeps in my bed w/ me for naptime.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    My daughter had to be moved out of her crib about a month before she turned 2 as she showed definite signs of being able to climb out of it. She's kind of tall. Her crib converts into a toddler bed.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Chas just moved out of his crib into a toddler bed about a month ago. He just realized one day that he could climb in and out. What's weird he climbed in first...he really wanted his paci. My thoughts...leave them in there until they are climbing out or in.

We bought baby furniture that will be used as he grows. The crib converts to a toddler and then full size bed. This will be his furniture until he buys his own. Of course, daddy is talking about a car bed... ahhhh.

Weird thing is...I thought he would get out of his bed a lot at night. This hasn't happened yet...I'm just waiting. Most of the time in the morning, he still hollers for me to come get him. Only twice has he either met me at the door or he's almost to our room.
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Isaiah was a year and some change. He was able to climb out. The crib mattress was positioned so low was darn year sitting on the floor. he still climbed out.

We have a crib for life, so it will go from crib, toddler, twin, to full size bed.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Just slightly over a year old. One time (he was supposed to be sleeping - naptime) my son climbed out of the crib and got his leg caught in the rails and was hanging there and crying. We went out and bought a toddler bed and he had no problems sleeping - on the floor. :lol: We'd put him to bed and find him curled up on the floor with his blanket. He started sleeping in the bed after we got a kitten and she decided the bed was a good place for her to sleep. My son decided, "Good enough for kitty, good enough for me." :lol:
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    FieryCurls wrote: »
    rainshower wrote: »
    we'd find her on her knees, butt in the air sleeping on the floor beside the bed.

:lol: That is an incredibly cute mental image.

RS, Liam sleeps like that too!

We were actually thinking about getting a toddler bed soon, Liam doesn't climb out of the crib but he can put one leg over so any day now I am sure the other will go...

Lately he's had issues sleeping.. and like clockwork right before he wakes up (4:30am ish) he'll wake up and want to get in the bed with Mommy and Daddy and he'll say "big bed" so I think it may be time..

I saw this at Walmart!

0005074307222_215X215.jpg
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Is she having trouble sleeping in the crib?

We moved Karan at 22 months or so in preparation for the new baby. With no such deadline this time around, I plan on leaving Sandhya in the crib for as long as I can. She's small and somehow I doubt she's going to be much of a climber so I don't think we'll be needing to move her before she starts potty training.

Karan moved into a low Ikea twin bed. He has never fallen out. His sleep issues were the same before and after the transition. He'd still get up once at night, but instead of hollering, he'd come over and sneak into bed. In the grand scheme of things that actually made life easier at night.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Lucas has one of those convertible cribs that Trenell has - it converts from crib to toddler bed to full size bed. I'd like to leave it has a crib for as long as possible, so I guess we'll convert it to a toddler bed when he's able to climb out. We're getting a different crib for the new baby (whenever she starts sleeping through the night), so we don't need to worry about moving Lucas out of his for her to use.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
    deedles wrote: »

I saw this at Walmart!

0005074307222_215X215.jpg

This just gave me another reason to keep doing the grocery shopping by myself. If DH goes, he will definitely come home with this. He's been talking about a car bed forever. Those beds must have been invented when we were young and we're every boys dream. I have several friends whose husbands talk about these beds as well. :)

I say go for it Deedles!!!
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    A few months before DS turned 2, I took one side off of his crib. Shortly after he turned 2, my dad and I put together his twin bed from Ikea (Hemnes). Frankly, DS fell out of his crib more often than his twin bed. In fact, he's never fallen out of his bed. I would save the $$ and skip the toddler bed. I have heard of some children having a hard time going from the toddler bed to the twin bed.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • imagenimagen Posts: 343Registered Users
    Is she having trouble sleeping in the crib?

Laura has a crib she can climb out of, even though it's on the lowest setting. Most of the time though she is in our room. I'd like to start trying to transition her out of co-sleeping and sleeping in her own whatever, but it doesn't make sense to me to start making her sleep in a crib now, which is why I'm deciding between the toddler bed or twin bed.

She wants to be a big girl so badly! We were shopping for new couches today and she saw a fancy canopy bed, climbed in a refused to get out! :lol:
    .png

.png
    LOL I went back to your original post and realized you never mentioned transition "from a crib". Oops!

I'd say if she's comfortable in your grown-up sized bed, then she'll be comfortable in any bed. Go with whatever is convenient for you.

Or get the canopy!
    LOL I went back to your original post and realized you never mentioned transition "from a crib". Oops!

I'd say if she's comfortable in your grown-up sized bed, then she'll be comfortable in any bed. Go with whatever is convenient for you.

Or get the canopy!

I could do this!

11663.jpg

From Leaps and bounds: http://www.leapsandbounds.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=314762

Kinda pricey though for something she's only going to use for acouple years. Do you think a canopy toddler bed would be safe for a 2 year old? Laura would LOVE this! I don't know how I got such a girlie girl? :dontknow:
    .png

.png
    I say go for a full size bed and make it a canopy or buy a canopy bed. Skip the toddler bed and save money. Having a special bed will probably make transitioning from co-sleeping a lot easier. I know I always thought a canopy bed looked so fun!!!
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    We got Steven a car bed for his second birthday, we were planning on having another baby by that point and wanted to make sure he knew that was HIS big boy bed.

The first 2 months he showed everyone who walked in the door his new bed. He LOVES it and goes to be well. We made a big deal out of the whole process though, which made it easier. Sometime we still find him on the floor next to his bed all curled up
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    That canopy toddler bed is the most adorable thing ever! But a bigger bed with canopy is probably more practical.

I don't see a weight maximum on that bed. How long will it last, do you think? We'll have the same issue as you since our DD is tiny (she's 14 lbs now at 14 months so I doubt we'll even get to 20 lbs by 2 years).
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    Canopy Bed = TONNES of dusting!
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
    That canopy toddler bed is the most adorable thing ever! But a bigger bed with canopy is probably more practical.

I don't see a weight maximum on that bed. How long will it last, do you think? We'll have the same issue as you since our DD is tiny (she's 14 lbs now at 14 months so I doubt we'll even get to 20 lbs by 2 years).

I can't see it lasting for longer than 3 or 4 years, until she's 5 or 6. I don't see a max weight either, but she's so small I can't see her getting too big for it! I've read the remarks on it and I don't think I'd buy that one anyway, as cute as it is.

curly_keltie, I didn't think about it but now that you mention I do recall how much the canopy I had as a little girl caught dust. Definitely something to think about.
    .png

.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file