CurlTalk

I use shampoo to clean my hair

How many days would you wait before re-washing because my hair is on the dry side
«13

Comments

  • curry curlscurry curls Posts: 969Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    If your hair is dry, I would suggest that you stop using shampoo. It helped my hair tremendously. However, when I was shampooing, I would shampoo every 4 days or so. I guess it would depend on how your hair looks.
    Started CG July 8, 2008 :)


    3[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Co-wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Rinse out: Ion Effective Care Treatment
    Leave-in/Styling: Alba Botanica leave in with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner :love2: on top
  • rosabearrrosabearr Banned Posts: 165Banned Users
    I don't want to waste my money on products that may not work
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rosabearr wrote: »
    I refuse to go shampoo-less

    I don't like build up in my hair

    I do like to smell clean

    going shampooless is, obviously, entirely your decision. if you have something that works, I'm all for keeping at it. lol, god knows it's hard enough to find that one routine that actually makes our hair do what we want...

    Still. Shampoo-less does not mean build up, or smelly hair. My hair is perfectly conditioned, not stinky or greasy and none of my products build up on my hair. Even if I go an entire week between washing.

    It's entirely possible shampoo is necessary for you, personally, to get the effect you want but until you try *shrug* it's impossible to know for sure. If you're really concerned about the dryness of your hair, I agree that 'poo-less is the way to go. Eliminating the drying sulfates and replacing them with conditioning products can only help the dryness. It might be worth a try.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    rosabearr wrote: »
    I refuse to go shampoo-less

    I don't like build up in my hair

    I do like to smell clean

    Like Mims said, build up doesn't go hand in hand with CG. Also, shampoo hasn't touched my hair in nearly 3 and a half months and I certainly do not smell dirty. Actually, people always comment about how pretty my hair smells.

    If you're so set in your ways, there isn't much we can suggest to help with dryness, other than to space out the shampooing to as far apart as your hair can take
  • rosabearrrosabearr Banned Posts: 165Banned Users
    Now lets clear something up

    I have gone shampoo less for one week
    with Treesmee Remoisture Conditoner for several months

    however I switch to Silk Elements Shampoo & Use different contionder now its all Quatnum - Moisture - I am not sure if i like this brand since it was recommend by Sally Employee who said a lot of people buy it and I saw a Salon member buying the same brand at Sally Beauty Supply
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Tresemme is notorious for having silicones in their products. If you tried to go shampoo-less without ditching ingredients that aren't water-soluble, you're going to have problems. They will build up and you'll experience really gross hair.

    If you're experiencing dryness, why not switch to a low-poo with no sulfates? And limiting your silicone use? That will allow the moisture to get in, and with some good DTs, you're hair will probably get better. I wouldn't listen so much to what store employees say. They want you to buy something, and they'll say whatever they need to do achieve that. Do some research here and find what's working for curlies.

    I can't find the ingredients for the products you're using, but I found something that said they contain mineral oil. If that's true, I'd switch products anyway. Mineral oil coats the hair and prevents moisture from getting in.
  • rosabearrrosabearr Banned Posts: 165Banned Users
    i DID DITCH TRSEMMEE for while since - My dad is the one that was buying there products.

    Last week on Thursday is when I started using Silk Elements - I use the shampoo - I like the fact it detangles, condtions and ph bal

    I am not sure if my hair like Quatnum Condtioner - I payed 12.00 at sallys with sales tax in Southern California

    Buy 1 /Get 1 Free
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    There's no reason to get defensive. We're just trying to help you.

    You didn't say that you had stopped using Tresemme when you attempted CG. In fact you didn't give us any information other than the fact that you are using these products (which no one knows the ingredients for, let alone what they are) and at one time you stopped using shampoo. That's not much to go on.

    I'm not sure what it is that you want. What is your problem? Dry hair? We've given you answers and you seem to just want to argue with us. I don't know what else to say.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Since you definitely don't seem to want to ditch the shampoo, I'd say your best bet is to limit its use as much as possible. Try and spread out your wash days... maybe once a week, or even once every 2 weeks. You could try to water wash, or even cowash, in between, and see if that gives you more moisture. Shampooing occasionally should keep you from feeling 'dirty' or having your hair feel coated.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • rosabearrrosabearr Banned Posts: 165Banned Users
    There's no reason to get defensive. We're just trying to help you.

    You didn't say that you had stopped using Tresemme when you attempted CG. In fact you didn't give us any information other than the fact that you are using these products (which no one knows the ingredients for, let alone what they are) and at one time you stopped using shampoo. That's not much to go on.

    I'm not sure what it is that you want. What is your problem? Dry hair? We've given you answers and you seem to just want to argue with us. I don't know what else to say.

    What you previous had said to me above - top
    My respond in your quote

    I am not getting detensive -
    I obiviously post question to get answer
    I refuse to throw away money down the drain - Let take this into fact that not all stores accept returns.

    I did respond to someone to someeles message to had to said what brand of shampoo you are using my responds was Treesmee - I answer your questions.

    Maybe you didn't read all my post as the last one is the most recently responded 8:10PM

    I don't understand what hell your talking about when you girls just say CG - I didn't know what that means or what it stand for

    I also if your going to communicate with me- Please do it nicely as - I take rude comments a very seriously. I just join this message board less than month ago.

    Go god - I am not getting dumb but if you take like that than IM me on Yahoo - Rosabearr - I will be ready to chit-chat.
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Enable your private message option and I'll send you a PM.
  • lazy loopslazy loops Posts: 8,792Registered Users
    You can still remove silicone with non-sulfate shampoos. They just have to contain a gentle ingredient like the ones per an article from our resident curly chemist: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-q-a/whats-the-scoop-on-silicones

    What you might have done is put your hair through a cycle of sealing out the moisture it needs by using serum (glossing polish), & then removing the serum with a shampoo containing a drying or damaging sulfate such as ammonium or sodium lauryl or laureth.

    "CG" stands for Curly Girl. You can read about it here: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=14222 on the We'd like to meet you! forum. :)
  • amy51373amy51373 Posts: 1,204Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    LauraLee has an excellent blog article about how to go CG as well. It explains everything really well.
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    I think we might have a communication issue. Is English your first language? I think we are all getting a bit frustrated. We here on the boards forget sometimes that we have developed a different language; a hair language!:lol:

    Rosabearr, you need to start at the beginning of this board. Go to the "We'd like to Meet You" and "General Discussion" forum and read some of the stickys there. It will clue you in to a lot of what we're talking about.

    Most of us here believe that shampoo should at least be limited because sulfates are detergents and they dry the hair out.

    We all would like to help you, but you need to look around this site some more so that we can communicate better with you.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG


    Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

  • rosabearrrosabearr Banned Posts: 165Banned Users
    mpgirl wrote: »
    I think we might have a communication issue. Is English your first language? I think we are all getting a bit frustrated. We here on the boards forget sometimes that we have developed a different language; a hair language!:lol:

    Rosabearr, you need to start at the beginning of this board. Go to the "We'd like to Meet You" and "General Discussion" forum and read some of the stickys there. It will clue you in to a lot of what we're talking about.

    Most of us here believe that shampoo should at least be limited because sulfates are detergents and they dry the hair out.

    We all would like to help you, but you need to look around this site some more so that we can communicate better with you.


    How dare you say quote and ask? If English is my first language daring it my first language I learned. I am not some foreign person posting comments.

    If you don't understand what I am asking?Why are you even coming back.

    It all about clarfying what you misunderstand instead of trying to blam me.

    In fact this hurts my feelings and I take it personal
  • rosabearrrosabearr Banned Posts: 165Banned Users
    mpgirl wrote: »
    I think we might have a communication issue. Is English your first language? I think we are all getting a bit frustrated. We here on the boards forget sometimes that we have developed a different language; a hair language!:lol:

    Rosabearr, you need to start at the beginning of this board. Go to the "We'd like to Meet You" and "General Discussion" forum and read some of the stickys there. It will clue you in to a lot of what we're talking about.

    Most of us here believe that shampoo should at least be limited because sulfates are detergents and they dry the hair out.

    We all would like to help you, but you need to look around this site some more so that we can communicate better with you.


    How dare you say quote and ask? If English is my first language daring it my first language I learned. I am not some foreign person posting comments.

    If you don't understand what I am asking?Why are you even coming back.

    It all about clarfying what you misunderstand instead of trying to blam me.

    In fact this hurts my feelings and I take it personal
  • amy51373amy51373 Posts: 1,204Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think we're all a bit confused exactly what it is you're looking for. Most of us on the boards don't shampoo with a regular shampoo often or at all. Many of us use what we call low poo's or co washes. Some use those washes daily, others once or twice a week. The links that have been provided will really help explain alot of what going CG means and might help explain why we're asking the questions we are. It's different for all of us so it's hard to give a definite answer if we're not sure of all the factors involved in your hair routine.
    mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
    Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
    Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
    Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
    Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
    Modified CG since Feb 2008
  • KranberyKranbery Posts: 177Registered Users
    I am confused about what is going on here. What exactly did someone say that offended you? Do you still want answers to your question?
    :?:
    Grow hair grow. People think you look funny at this length. :sad8:

    Products:
    Jason Tea Tree Shampoo
    Jason Tea Tree conditioner
    Cantu Shea Butter, Avocado/Rosemary oil
    Egg Protein Treatments
    Burt's Bees Shea and Grapefruit Conditioner
    Hair, Skin and Nail Vitamins
    Oyin Greg Juice
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rosabearr wrote: »
    mpgirl wrote: »
    I think we might have a communication issue. Is English your first language? I think we are all getting a bit frustrated. We here on the boards forget sometimes that we have developed a different language; a hair language!:lol:

    Rosabearr, you need to start at the beginning of this board. Go to the "We'd like to Meet You" and "General Discussion" forum and read some of the stickys there. It will clue you in to a lot of what we're talking about.

    Most of us here believe that shampoo should at least be limited because sulfates are detergents and they dry the hair out.

    We all would like to help you, but you need to look around this site some more so that we can communicate better with you.


    How dare you say quote and ask? If English is my first language daring it my first language I learned. I am not some foreign person posting comments.

    If you don't understand what I am asking?Why are you even coming back.

    It all about clarfying what you misunderstand instead of trying to blam me.

    In fact this hurts my feelings and I take it personal

    she asked if English was your first language because your grammar and sentence structure isn't what would be considered 'normal' for someone whose primary and first language is English. She did not mean to offend, merely to ask and find the answer so that maybe someone could communicate in a manner that is easier for you to understand. There's absolutely no reason to be offended. These boards are actually quite friendly to 'foreign' people who do not speak English in their day to day lives.

    I'm all for trying to help people out, but I'll be frank, your defensive attitude and propensity to attack has me backing off. Good luck finding the answers to your questions, I think I've provided all the help I can.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • CurlyOver40!CurlyOver40! Posts: 758Registered Users
    rosabearr wrote: »
    How many days would you wait before re-washing

    I wash my hair because I use proclaim glossing polish and coconut oil conditonier "as leave when straightening out my hair"

    because my hair is on the dry side


    Let's start from the beginning, shall we?

    I'll answer your first question:
    How many days do I wait before rewashing?:
    Well.. I 'wash' my hair every other day. I do not use any kind of shampoo. I use Suave Coconut Conditioner to wash my scalp and then I use Giovanni 50/50.
    My hair is very clean. It smells clean. It feels clean.
    Everyone needs to find what works for them. Sometimes, that takes a long time to figure out. Not every thing works for every person. That is why this board is so great! We all like to hear about what someone else is doing and some of us try it and sometimes, it works for us too! Sometimes it doesn't.
    We have some girls on this board that use very expensive products and we have some that use very inexpensive products. Some make their own!
    It's all about finding out what works for you. There is no wrong way to do it. It's all about finding what works for you.
    Good Luck!

    3a/3b

    Latest routine:
    Sauve Coconut CO
    Or
    Trader Joe's Nourish
    Giovanni 50/50
    Giovanni Direct Leave In
    JoicoWhip
    Newest Fav: Curl Junkie Coffee-Coco Curl Creme
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    Read Lorraine Massey's Curly Girl book, you might find a used copy on amazon.com or maybe your library carries it.
    2b/3a.
  • rosabearrrosabearr Banned Posts: 165Banned Users
    Do you know if you can find a copy of the book at Boarders Book Store. I can get to that book store easily and when I get some money I may pick it up if less than 20 bucks.


    I don't think my local library carry's it because the city I live is kind of small but surround by many large city's such as famous Los Angeles, CA
  • lodylody Posts: 334Registered Users
    You should call your local borders' and ask them, and if they don't have it in stock, they can order it in for you.
    (as for the cost, I don't know, but it's a fairly thin, paperback-style book, I doubt it would be more than 20 dollars)

    Personally, though, when I read the book, I thought it had a LOT less information than these boards, so it isn't a necessity, really.

    As for washing, if you don't plan to cut out silicones but are willing to wash with conditioner (by scrubbing your head with your fingertips), you can probably just wait until you feel/see build up or dull hair, and wash then. Seems the easiest way to me, at least. But really, don't be so defensive and against the no-shampoo method! It won't make you look dirty or like you can't take care of yourself. If you look at pictures of people who have gone cg (there's a thread of before/afters on this board), you'll notice most of them look way better afterwards, and definitely not greasy and gross. The annoying thing is, before your hair gets better like that, it will get worse, so if you tried it for one week, you probably didn't get past the bad part. It you want to try it again, maybe you could wait until you have a few weeks that you can stand having potentially bad hair.
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    Garnier Ultra Doux conditioners
    High in glycerin conditioners
    As much gel as possible
    Testing out flax seed gel
    Plopping, for around 30 minutes
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

  • mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    Here is a link to the book on amazon.com. You can order a used copy for about $5.

    Curly Girl

    The book is a good place to start because it is simple. Sometimes we can be a little complicated here on the boards.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG


    Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    I'm kind of curious as to what has caused your change of heart. I mean, a couple months ago you were extremely adamant about not even considering going no-poo and you gave us all a hard time about it. Just wondering what made you decide to consider it now
  • rosabearrrosabearr Banned Posts: 165Banned Users
    At moment I am battling a very dry hair. I figure I try something new such as new product. I might lead to more softener without the dryness over a period of time.

    -Laura Lee - First of all I don't know what your problem was with me to began with?

    Someone also posted a rude comment regards how to type English sentences on this board which was rude and insulting to began with and making seem like was not educated. I do admit to typing real fast a lot of time. I don't go back to read what I type. I just post and when I get home I just turn on the computer open my browser and see If got any replys in regards what I posted or whatever.

    So what I am getting is that I don't have problem with you or anything but sounds like you have problem with me.
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    rosabearr wrote: »
    At moment I am battling a very dry hair. I figure I try something new such as new product. I might lead to more softener without the dryness over a period of time.

    -Laura Lee - First of all I don't know what your problem was with me to began with?

    Someone also posted a rude comment regards how to type English sentences on this board which was rude and insulting to began with and making seem like was not educated. I do admit to typing real fast a lot of time. I don't go back to read what I type. I just post and when I get home I just turn on the computer open my browser and see If got any replys in regards what I posted or whatever.

    So what I am getting is that I don't have problem with you or anything but sounds like you have problem with me.

    It's not that I have a problem with you; but if you look at the first page of this thread you were extremely adamant about not even considering the shampooless method. Of course that's fine and it's your prerogative and your hair. But I'm wondering, for future help to other people considering the shampooless method, what caused your change of heart to now you want to read the CG book?
  • stormstorm Posts: 204Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi rosebearr, no one has a problem with you..and secondly why would everyone have a problem with you. A lot of us are new here. And most when they come to the boards dont know about the Curly Girl method but are willing to learn at least. Everyone here is trying to help you as much as they can..so dont accuse them of being rude.
    IMHO, even if you cant get the Curly girl book right now, you could get a lot of major info from the going Shampooless/CG sections or Laura Lee's DormRoomCurly blog. I never read the book. I learnt about going CG from this site.
  • rosabearrrosabearr Banned Posts: 165Banned Users
    It just wierd how laura lee came with what caused your change of heart to now you want to read the CG book?

    I like reading books but that does not mean I am going to buy it. I never read the book.

    and seems as if to me she trying to start some drama for no reason to began.

    After all this forum not who's right or wrong blogger site!!!!!!
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    She was just curious. Most of us have encountered at least one person in our lives that's REALLY against the CG method for any number of reasons, and sometimes it's interesting to hear what changed someone's mind. To see if that aspect of thinking might bring someone else around to considering it as well.

    ETA: On top of that, you were insanely defensive (and obviously still are) about the whole topic. So yeah, it strikes her (and me, as well) as strange that you're interested now.

    Calm down. No one has it out for you. If you want to see drama, go to the non hair boards.
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
«13
This discussion has been closed.