Vomiting

PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
Poor Solomon has been throwing up since yesterday. Otherwise he's acting completely normal - he's actually been in a great mood! But he threw up 3 times during the day yesterday (starting at 12:30ish) and then 3 times during the night/early morning - and didn't want to go back to bed afterward, just wanted to play. He didn't really eat any solids yesterday so it's been all breastmilk he's throwing up. I'm continuing to nurse him as long as he's interested because I don't want him to get dehydrated and I know that antibodies can help him get better. But every time I nurse him I just pray that it doesn't come back up!

Any tips to try to help him get better faster?
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Comments

• geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    Either he ate something that is not agreeing with him, or it is a bug. Either way, there is nothing to do but wait it out and do what you are already doing. Nothing is better for him than breastmilk, so just nurse as much as you can. Once he can keep the breastmilk down, you can slowly introduce other foods and liquids again.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I concur with Geeky. Breastfeeding is the best thing you could do for him right now.

Vomiting seldom lasts more than 24 hours. If it does, or if he starts to dehydrate, you might want to call the doctor and see if he wants to Rx an anti-emetic. Most docs don't want to give them to people, especially children, because of the risks of trapping bad stuff in the body. It's only when the risk of dehydration outweighs the risk of the anti-emetics that they should be used. I also subscribe to the theory of better-out-than-in and respect the body's natural reaction of vomitting/diarrhea to rid itself of toxins.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Thanks geeky and RCW. He hasn't thrown up again since about 6:00 AM (knock on wood). He did have a bit of diarrhea but otherwise he's still in great spirits. Hopefully the diarrhea will subside and he'll be back to normal by tomorrow.

On a side note, I'm wondering if he caught the bug from my nephew. My nephew was vomiting on Saturday and then the boys played together yesterday morning. Sol threw up for the first time within a couple hours after - that's probably too soon to have gotten it from him, right?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • imagenimagen Posts: 343Registered Users
    Nothing different to offer than what others already have, but I hope Sol is feeling better soon! I hate when my kids are sick, especially stomach viruses, and especially as babies. They don't understand..they would just look at me like "Please make it stop!". Ugh..it just broke my heart!
    .png

.png
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Toddler tummy bugs are just the worst! Poor baby!

I tend to feed him whatever he wants to eat, drink and just deal with it coming back up (and hope nothing does!). They feel bad enough already, so if they want to try to eat, I won't stop them.
    Toddler tummy bugs are just the worst! Poor baby!

I tend to feed him whatever he wants to eat, drink and just deal with it coming back up (and hope nothing does!). They feel bad enough already, so if they want to try to eat, I won't stop them.

Solomon's appetite for solids is still pretty non-existent. If we don't offer them, he doesn't ask for them. Though I may try to offer him some crackers when he wakes up from his nap, since it's been several hours since he last threw up.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Well, I hope the worst is behind him!

Its funny that Solomon and Sandhya are polar opposites on the whole nursing thing. I WANT her to nurse more and she is just not interested. No boobie or no bottle... all she wants is food. I'm lucky if I can get her to nurse properly twice a day (and one of those times is at 5am). Most of the time, she'll nurse a bit, bite me and then try to throw herself out of my arms. :dontknow:
    ...and then try to throw herself out of my arms. :dontknow:

That sounds so cute! Yeah, even with solids, Solomon still nurses every couple hours. He's a real boob man. It doesn't bother me though because he nurses fast so it's not like I have to take a half hour each time he nurses.

No vomiting in over 24 hours and no diarrhea for about 20 hours, so I think we're in the clear now. Thanks for the well wishes everyone!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    On a side note, I'm wondering if he caught the bug from my nephew. My nephew was vomiting on Saturday and then the boys played together yesterday morning. Sol threw up for the first time within a couple hours after - that's probably too soon to have gotten it from him, right?

Some tummy bugs travel extremely fast...within hours. They can run through a family like Grant-Through-Richmond.
    PixieCurl wrote: »

Some tummy bugs travel extremely fast...within hours. They can run through a family like Grant-Through-Richmond.

This is what I was worried about. I was working at the gym on Sunday morning. I saw my sister there at 8:00 AM and she told me that my nephew had been puking the day before. Then, while I was still at work, my husband called my sister and her fiance to invite them to the play area at our local mall. They all met up around 10:00, and Solomon first threw up at home around 12:30. If I had been home I probably would have said not to invite them, just in case nephew was still sick or contagious. Granted, he definitely could have picked it up from any kid at the play area, but it seems likely it was from my nephew.

Like today, even though Sol is symptom-free and seemingly back to normal, I'm still going to skip Story Time just on the slim chance he could get the other kids sick. I wish my sister would think the same way sometimes.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file