Night-time potty training

mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
Karan has been day-trained for almost a year but night times are still hit-or-miss. He's almost 3.5.

Most nights he is dry, but probably once every week or two he'll wake up completely soaking wet. I've still got him in diapers at night just because I don't want to deal with cleaning him up in the middle of the night (I also have a night-waking baby).

Just wondering if I should be pushing the issue or is he going to get this on his own? I don't do anything other than make him pee before bed. I don't even restrict liquids in the evening because we often have dinner just before his bedtime. If he asks for water before bed or in the night, I'll give him some.

Any advice?

Comments

• rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    Karan has been day-trained for almost a year but night times are still hit-or-miss. He's almost 3.5.

Most nights he is dry, but probably once every week or two he'll wake up completely soaking wet. I've still got him in diapers at night just because I don't want to deal with cleaning him up in the middle of the night (I also have a night-waking baby).

Just wondering if I should be pushing the issue or is he going to get this on his own? I don't do anything other than make him pee before bed. I don't even restrict liquids in the evening because we often have dinner just before his bedtime. If he asks for water before bed or in the night, I'll give him some.

Any advice?

he's only wetting himself at night once every week or two? that's normal. don't be surprised if when he's 5, he still has an occassional wet bed. that's quite normal.

personally, i'd ditch the diapers at his age if he's basically successful with dry nights for long stretches. also, it would help if you knew when he is likely to wet the bed. does he do it just after you tuck him in and sleep in wet sheets all night, or does he do it just before day break?

after we ditched the pullups with our son, we found out that he wet the bed just before waking in the morning, as the urine was still warm on his sheets. so when our alarm went off at 6, we'd get him up to use the bathroom and put him back in bed or let him crawl in bed with us. we curtailed a wet bed most of the time by doing this until he was able to either hold it until he awoke, or his own bodily signals would awaken him to make him get up and go on his own.

our daughter had fewer wet nights during her training period, so we were off the hook with her.

target sells vinyl mattress protectors that enclose the entire mattress. this is what we have on our kids' mattresses. and on top of that, i put a contoured protector that has a fabric top so that they aren't feeling plastic under their fitted sheets.

also, whole foods sells a wonderful product called bac-out, that has natural enzymes that get rid of any organic matter from fabric, including mattresses. so if you decide to cease using the diapers and your child has an accident, this spray will not only get rid of the urine odor from the mattress, but it will not leave an unsightly yellow ring on the mattress either. http://www.bi-o-kleen.com/pdfs/BacOut.lo.pdf
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was really lenient with nighttime training. I let them have a diaper at night for as long as they wanted to. Eventually, they want to give it up and will protest about the diaper. I let them give it up, but if they peed the bed more than a couple times a week, I put them back in diapers at night for a while, til they decided to try again.

Washing pee sheets is part of parenting, I think. I kept a waterproof cover on their mattresses for years, because even a perfectly trained kid will occasionally have an accident. I never made a big deal out of it, but I did have them strip their own beds and bring the sheets down for washing when it happened, and had them help me remake the bed. A little work helps them be more aware.

Boys seem to pee the bed for longer than girls, but my daughter did it recently, and she's 11!
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Thanks for the responses - sorry I forgot to check back in!

Rainshower - he seems to wet in the early morning mostly but he has occasionally woken us up because he has wet PJs (he is in pullups right now with are useless because if he pees its more than a pullup can handle).

RCW - I've been lenient because I like to drink water before bed (and at night) and it doesn't seem nice to make him sleep when he's thirsty.

He's been wet more often and not in the last week since I posted probably because he was sick and drinking more than usual.

Once he goes back to weekly accidents I might give no diapers a try.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file