When is the best time to introduce your child to a pillow?

Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
I don't know if this topic has come up before, but I've had a lot of problems using the search feature (weird, because it said that my search term needs to be at least 3 words...which I did in fact use...but anyway...)...I am just wondering if most toddlers over the age of 2 are sleeping on pillows by now. According to babycenter.com, even older kids don't necessarily need to use a pillow, although it doesn't hurt to start them around the age of 2 or a little before that.

My 25+ month old daughter still sleeps without the support of a pillow, but she appears to be doing fine. Ummmm...I think...I can't really tell for sure.

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    my baby girl sleeps with a pillow. shes 20 months old and has been doing so for a few months now. its purely for recreation though, not because she needs the support. her dad bought her pillow because it has his favorite college football team on it. she uses our pillows when she lies in our bed and if shes lying on the couch too.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We gave Xander a pillow right around his 1st birthday. He needed to be elevated because of an ear infection and cold. He took right to it and we never took it back.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    Paula wrote: »
    I don't know if this topic has come up before, but I've had a lot of problems using the search feature (weird, because it said that my search term needs to be at least 3 words...which I did in fact use...but anyway...)...I am just wondering if most toddlers over the age of 2 are sleeping on pillows by now. According to babycenter.com, even older kids don't necessarily need to use a pillow, although it doesn't hurt to start them around the age of 2 or a little before that.

My 25+ month old daughter still sleeps without the support of a pillow, but she appears to be doing fine. Ummmm...I think...I can't really tell for sure.

when we got rid of our son's crib and got his bedroom furniture (we skipped toddler set for the lasting furniture), we got him a pillow. he's used one ever since.

our daughter has had a pillow with her big girl furniture too. but she can take or leave a pillow.

i use a pillow initially, but will end up pushing it out of my way during the night. i like to lie flat. i definitely can't use uber fluffy pillows like the ones in hotels that feel like you are resting your head on an over-inflated balloon! that's a recipe for a neck and back ache in the morning, for me.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think Chas was around a year when we introduced him to a pillow. I think it came around like it did for DarkAngel with lots of drainage and ear problems. I can remember to be exact.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    With Korbin around a year or so. He never liked sleeping on his toddler bed. He almost always ends up on the floor. I couldn't just let him sleep on the hard floor, so I gave him one of my king sized pillows for him to sleep on. He loves it, because it's practically the same size as him, so he can cuddle with it.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    Because of milk reflux, we started giving her a pillow by 3-4 months. Now she can sleep with or without one, usually turning so that her feet are on the pillow by morning.
    I always put the pillows under the blanket she slept on, tucking tightly so that she couldn't get under them.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    Solomon sleeps in our bed, and has been showing some interest in the pillows lately. Sometimes when we go in at night he's crawled up a bit so his head is on one of our pillows. Most of the time, though, he still sleeps flat.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    When the new baby came and I wanted to transition Connor to a toddler bed, I started giving him a pillow and extra blanket in his crib. That was around 18 months. He just threw the extra bedding out every night, except for his "special" blankie. :lol:

He started really sleeping with a pillow when he moved into the toddler bed, around 21 or 22 months. Although, it's hit or miss whether he'll actually go to sleep with the pillow under his head. Or have his head and feet facing the right directions.
    ehLB.jpg
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    Thanks for the replies...I actually forgot I posted this question a couple of days ago and didn't catch this till I came back to this board, lol. Well, my 2 year old is in a toddler bed, but still doesn't sleep with a pillow. She appears fine, but I just don't know if she should be showing certain signs of needing a pillow. If I see her lay her head on soft things like her stuffed animals...then I suppose that's a good sign, right?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file