CurlTalk

Do you aim for pretty or prensentable...

hipchickhipchick Posts: 350Registered Users
as you get older? Since I have hit my mid-forties I think presentable is what I aim for and it is a lot less work and a realistic goal for me. It seems that since I hit my forties some of my 20s and 30s glow disappeared so I am much less disappointed with my end result when I can simply make myself look presentable.

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    presentable has always been the best i can hope for.
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I am for presentable, striking, eye-catching (in a good way). I've never been pretty.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    Aw, heck, I aim for hot. It's all about what I like and how I feel. Does someone else think I look hot? Don't know, don't care!:dontknow:
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users
    That's an interesting question. I have to admit that part of me still wants to be pretty. Maybe it's because I really only started being interested in hair, clothes, makeup, etc., when I was almost 40. That's when I started playing up the wave in my hair, which was the first time I really started getting "looks" -- more than I ever had when I was younger.

Having said that, though, I can see the writing on the wall. I'm 43 now, and really noticing that my face is getting a little more tired and older looking. I think I'm ready for the next re-invention of self. I have seen photos of some ladies on these boards who look FABULOUS, but not like they're trying to look young and sexy. They look mature and sophisticated and, to use SBB's word, striking.

That may be my next goal. Just gotta figure out the how part.....

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
    Speckla wrote: »
    Aw, heck, I aim for hot. It's all about what I like and how I feel. Does someone else think I look hot? Don't know, don't care!:dontknow:

Hey Speckla, we were posting at the same time. Yeah, you're right. Hot! I want that, too. Maybe more than pretty...... can I reconcile that with the mature and sophisticated? Please tell me yes!!!!

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator

Hey Speckla, we were posting at the same time. Yeah, you're right. Hot! I want that, too. Maybe more than pretty...... can I reconcile that with the mature and sophisticated? Please tell me yes!!!!

There's something sexy about a mature women with a little silver in the hair and some crinkles around her eyes that doesn't try to look younger or act like she isn't aging. Acceptance is sexy and maturing isn't a bad thing.
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I still aim for pretty; I am just less hard on myself when I fall short. And my early 40s was the first time in my life I started going out sometimes VOLUNTARILY without makeup on. I think I have become for accepting of what I really look like as opposed to how I can "get myself" to look.

Plus my boyfriend says I look pretty no matter what:tongue3:
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Presentable because I am pretty lazy at heart.

Also, it gives my pretty days more impact, lol.

I think that if I work to take care myself, health, skin, hair, etc., then presentable will be "pretty enough" even if it isn't "done up pretty."
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users

There's something sexy about a mature women with a little silver in the hair and some crinkles around her eyes that doesn't try to look younger or act like she isn't aging. Acceptance is sexy and maturing isn't a bad thing.

Good point.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    I guess I aim for as pretty as possible and eye-catching in a good way, not a 'holy crap, wth is she wearing?' kind of way. Hot would be great, but not realistic for me.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users

Yes yes yes!
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Hey, I like you guys. You have a great attitude about all this stuff. Cool! :happy7:

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,654Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I shoot for presentable. And that's the whole package, from hair to face to clothes. I do the best I can to make sure I'm comfortable with how I look when I leave the house and I sort of feel "to heck with the rest of it and what other people might think".
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,249Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have never aimed for pretty. I've mostly aimed to make myself feel good when I look in the mirror.
    And nowadays I aim for something that doesn't scare kids or dogs. : )
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Neophyte

Speckla, you phrased that so well! And that is exactly what I strive for. I'm not sure that I always get there, but I think I get pretty close most of the time.
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    I aim high and shoot for pretty, hoping that I'll end up at least presentable, LOL.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • LisaF1163LisaF1163 Posts: 1,079Registered Users
    Same here. I aim for pretty but usually wind up as presentable.
    CG since 1/09. Protein and Mag Sulfate sensitive.
    Hair Type - 3A.
    Co-wash - Jane Carter Solution Nutrient Replenishing Conditioner.
    Low-poo as needed - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shampoo.
    Cond./Leave-In - Beautiful Curls Curl Enhancing Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner.
    Stylers - Jane Carter Solution Condition and Sculpt; Beautiful Curls Curl Defining Gel.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    To be honest, I don't think I've really thought about it lately. Not like when I was in my 20's anyway. I put myself together as much as I can with only the amount of effort that I want to take. I think my focus is more on how I feel about me than how I think anyone else feels. In some ways I finally feel like I matter more! And it's about time -- one of the benefits of being in my 40's!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• curlee4lifecurlee4life Posts: 219Registered Users
    I aim for "pretty for me". That means I go for a look that pleases me. I no longer look 21 but I am holding my own, so I just work with what I have.

SBB:

I am afraid I do not agree with your comment about never being pretty. I saw the picture of you with Gregory Peck - definitely pretty! When your hair grows out, you will be stunning... JMHO

event.png

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
    BC: May 2006

• mesocurlymesocurly Posts: 58Registered Users
    They look mature and sophisticated and, to use SBB's word, striking.

That may be my next goal. Just gotta figure out the how part.....

I would love to look sophisticated and striking. To be honest though, I'm happy being presentable. But for special occasions, I shoot for striking. Heck, I have never thought of myself as pretty.:lol:
  • ringlets of fireringlets of fire Posts: 105Registered Users
    Aw, my realization makes me sad.

I only go for presentable. I can't remember the last time I really put myself together to be pretty.

It was really fun in high school and college to pick out outfits, do makeup and hair. I'm not sure where that enthusiasm went.
    Hair: tight waves to loose curls. Thick. Coarse. Dry. Natural redhead until bright white strands popped out. Color with FramColor now. Shampoo: alternate Phytojoba with Cowash: Suave coconut, Paul Brown or those that didn't work well as a conditioner. Conditioner: can't find one heavy enough. Product: Aveda Brilliant Humectant Pomade. DT: Coconut Oil
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    I aim for "soft" in my clothes, hair, and makeup. Pretty is good, and pretty is always my goal, but trying too hard for pretty can look "hard" on someone my age.
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    I've never been pretty. Some people call me "cute."

So I go for presentable and, when I'm feeling it, stylish.
  • PoodleheadPoodlehead Posts: 6,959Registered Users
    wild~hair wrote: »

Uh, I've seen pictures of you, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree.

I'm too lazy to go for pretty on most days. Presentable is a step up from my usual.
    Minneapolis, MN
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    Poodlehead wrote: »
    wild~hair wrote: »

Uh, I've seen pictures of you, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree.

:oops: Thanks PH! :happy3:

I would say I've seen pictures of you as well, but you always have yourself shown from far away and only leave them up for about .2 seconds. :D But you look good from what I can see!
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    :laughing3:
    ITA w/ poodle
    Also TA w/ wild~hair
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,193Registered Users
    A friend and I were talking about this the other day. Just "maintenance" can seem overwhelming at our age. Plus hours of prep to look like you spent a mere 10 minutes getting ready. Not much payoff compared to when we were younger.

But what's the alternative? Giving up? Not yet!
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • hipchickhipchick Posts: 350Registered Users
    So True Ala. How old are you if I may ask?
  • alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,193Registered Users
    You may ask. :) I'm 47. ... I have to say I rarely spend hours getting myself all dolled up. An event has to be a Big Fat Deal for that. Fortunately, I can be reasonably presentable in a much shorter time.

But all the maintenance stuff I didn't have to do before is a real pain: hair color, extra skin care, etc. ... And clothes! Why does it seem like everything is for teenagers, "red hat" ladies, or strippers?
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • brdudeonbrdudeon Posts: 66Registered Users
    alacurl wrote: »
    And clothes! Why does it seem like everything is for teenagers, "red hat" ladies, or strippers?

I agree tremendously with this question. Why does it seem so hard to find clothes that don't make me look like I've been shopping in my teenage neighbor's closet? I don't want to look like my mother and I don't want to look like a 16 year old (or even a 20 year old for that matter). I just want to look like a nicely dressed 30/40 something. I am 40, but I can dream can't I?

I've really been struggling with this issue over the last year or so. My sisters are both considerably younger than I am. I can wear some of what they do. Business attire seems to be easier, but casual clothes and dressing up a bit to go out with my husband is a challenge. I feel like a frump most of the time, but also occasionally over dressed. That's not at all how I want to present myself to ME, my husband or the rest of the world.

Where do you shop for stylish clothes for someone who is not 20 any longer?
    Lots of medium to fine, extremely porous and color damaged hair.
    Suave Tropical Coconut for co-wash
    Bed Head Tigi Moisture Maniac
    FX Curl Booster Fixative Gel
    Gel

CG since November 2007
    Slowly growing out the color damaged hair. I'm halfway there!!:p

Leave a Comment