Question - DOes Herbatint change hair texture (3c/4a)

kemstarkemstar Posts: 10Registered Users
Ive been using herbatint for about a year now, when i finish dyeing my hair its feel nice and soft , more moisturized. I use the 1n , or Jet black colour. I was wondering , does this hair dye change hair texture . I know it contains peroxide . My hair is natural 3c/4a. Thank s
I think my hair is 3c/4a .....

Comments

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Hi
    I used herbatint for 4 years or longer. Colors with peroxide open the hair shaft to deposit the color, then seal the hair shaft. You get smoother, shinier hair when the hair shaft is sealed. I love that just-colored hair feel.

Is that what you mean by texture...smoother & softer? It isn't permanent but it will last maybe a few weeks (for me usually 10 days :evil: )

Herbatint never changed my curl pattern & it didn't damage my hair :D
    HTH
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
    godgivenperm uses herbatint--maybe she has something more helpful to add!

The only reason I stopped using it was that I wanted a more natural color than what I had been using, with more contrasts. I think I just wanted a change. You know how it goes.
    formerly Castella
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Posts: 678Registered Users
    Hey - here I am - I got a page from Castella! :wink: :wink:

So far I've only used Herbatint on two occasions (but #3 will be coming up soon). I haven't found that it's changed my hair texture in any way at all. It didn't make my hair softer or dryer, nor did it change my 3b/c curls in any way.

All I got was good, natural looking and long lasting color.

I used 5C - Light ash chestnut - a darker brown which turned out very close to my natural color. My next try will be 4M - Mahogany chestnut - which should add a bit of red.

I do agree with Castella as to why hair dyes do seem to make hair softer right after coloring. But now that I've been using some of the techniques from my fellow curlies my hair is softer overall on an everyday basis. It also seems like the conditioners that come with hair dyes are like "super conditioners". I loved the stuff that came with Feria.

I will try to remember to follow up on this post once I do my next coloring.
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
    Thread hijack!

oo oo oo, mahagony chestnut was MY color! Are you talking about the fairly dark one? I got a really deep burgundy type red from it. Don't freak out if the goop looks purple on your head or turns the water purple when you rinse it, your hair won't be purple :D

I wish they had had their Flash Fashions colors 10 years ago!

I think black gives the most shine & softness. My skin's too ruddy to pull it off. Nowadays I look at the lighter shades...
    formerly Castella
    Yeah, it's pretty dark.

I used to dye to much lighter reddish shades but I want to cut back on how many times per year I dye, so I've gone back to darker shades that are closer to my natural color.

Feria "reds" look purple on the head too! :)

BTW Castella you curls are lovely - so well defined and soft looking, not poofy at all. My curls are similar to yours but my hair is bit more corse.
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
    kemstar I feel bad, was your question answered? I used herbatint for 4 or 5 years, once a month, & no damage. Sounds like you have tighter curl so maybe more fragile hair & your experience may be different...herbatint does have peroxide, but I believe it is a low amount, and no ammonia. Are you coloring to cover gray? I think ht does a great job of that.

Thanks for the kind words godgivenperm :D Of course my pix have been carefully selected :wink: removed most of the "here's a triangle head" and "here's a poof" examples (no one needs to see that). I wish I could get MY hair to look like YOURS :D

The HT webpage says to mix the mahagony with the natural color. I always did pure mahagony & the color wasn't at all natural. Will you be mixing? My natural color is pretty dark.

My wish for coarser hair seems to be slowly coming true in the form of gray hairs :evil:
    formerly Castella
  • superflycurlsuperflycurl Posts: 23Registered Users
    I used Herbatint to color my hair yesterday and today my hair feels like straw or a brillo :x
    I used Herbatint to color my hair yesterday and today my hair feels like straw or a brillo :x

i just recolored mine again yesterday too with Herbatint. I used the conditioner provided in the box and then i just did the CO wash tonight.

I have pretty dry hair and I have found that Herbatint is the gentlest of all the hair coloring products I've tried. But you do need to condition right afterwards.
    3B/3C
  • superflycurlsuperflycurl Posts: 23Registered Users

i just recolored mine again yesterday too with Herbatint. I used the conditioner provided in the box and then i just did the CO wash tonight.

I have pretty dry hair and I have found that Herbatint is the gentlest of all the hair coloring products I've tried. But you do need to condition right afterwards.

I just used the ordinary lightweight conditioner I have in my shower - I didn't use the Herbatint one. I guess that's the problem! I just put a big dollop of a shea based leave in into my hair ( I usually hate shea - makes my hair too greasy) and the brillo texture has given away to something softer and my hair's not as parched. Thank God.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file