Exercise and your period

CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
Has anyone else found it impossible to workout while on their period? I have severe cramps and advice from my gyn was to exercise during it. I tried this morning and thought I was going to pass out after 5 minutes on the elliptical.

Anyone have a suggestions of a light routine I might be able to do?
Currently Loving:
Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam

Comments

• AmandacurlsAmandacurls Registered Users Posts: 6,252 Curl Neophyte
    I know that on the day I'm cramping (which is usually day 1 or 2) or at the very first when (TMI alert) my flow is extra heavy, I don't because I don't want to have an accident and I'm just plain uncomfortable. If you do something I would recommend walking, or maybe focus more on resistance training instead of cardio.
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    When my cycle is on, the only thing that I do in the gym is walk on the treadmill. I understand about not wanting an accident (trust me....been there done that)...so I usually will put on a super plus tampon AND a pad (a thin one with wings) and that will more than make sure i have no leaks. I take a nice medium pace walk and it DOES help with cramps. I don't think I could do the elipital, its too much when you are cramping like that.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    My advice? Listen to your body more than your gyn. At the very least, take some advil about an hour before heading to the gym - and start off lightly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    I find that sometimes exercise can distract me from cramps, but it all depends on the month....sometimes I'm more energetic during "girl time," and sometimes, less.

I agree with 2poodles: you know how you're actually feeling and "up for" better than the gyno. :female:
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    She recommended it because my cramps get so bad, I have fainted. I can't get out of bed at times. No amount of painkillers have helped and I have tried several BC.

Exercise was kind of a last attempt. I can try the treadmill but I often get motion sickness from it it.:dontknow:
    Currently Loving:

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • 2poodles2poodles Registered Users Posts: 2,485 Curl Connoisseur
    wow - those are some bad cramps. I assume your gyn has tested you for endometriosis/endometritis and anything else that might cause such severe cramps....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    CHF,
    It isn't normal to have that much pain. Exercise should normally help relieve cramping (walking, don't lift) and make you feel better. I'd seek more advice if it's bothering you so that you faint.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Some midol and a heating pad would probably make you feel better.
  • CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Registered Users Posts: 3,079 Curl Connoisseur
    2poodles wrote: »
    wow - those are some bad cramps. I assume your gyn has tested you for endometriosis/endometritis and anything else that might cause such severe cramps....

Oh yes, I had a laprascopy 2 years ago. She couldn't find any but she thinks that it might be hidden around my bladder and around my intestines. She couldn't go in those areas without risking my life.
    Currently Loving:

• RunemistRunemist Registered Users Posts: 13
    I've also heard that some exercise can ease cramps, but if the pain isn't muscular, I don't think there's much to do. Perhaps just a walk (not a power walk, or a jog) would help. I usually find when I've got my "girly thing" as I call it (house full of guys, you understand ;) ) I do only certain things. I've heard it's VERY bad to go upside down, say in yoga or pole dancing, when you have it. So, I suggest just something leisurely, easy, just to keep you going, get you outside if you can. If the weather's bad, maybe just easy treadmill walking. Seriously, you don't want to push yourself...your body is already doing that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file