Sensitive skin

I have really senistive reactive skin and wahtever I use on my hair has to be determined by that. I break out so easy or my eyes swell shut. Is there any hope for me. I have to shower twice a day because if there is anything in my hair at night forget it, I am a mess the next day. SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
I am a 3b hair.

Comments

• B-wavyB-wavy Curl Connoisseur Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wow, I'm so sorry you're having such a bad time! The skin on my face is also very sensitive, so it's been very challenging finding products that don't make my face turn red and itch and burn. When I first started having the problem, I began paying attention to the ingredients in the worst offenders and realized that the ones that are heaviest in carrier oils set off the most severe reactions for me.

Oddly enough though, I can use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner even though it has some oils in it. I also really like the Giovanni 50:50 conditioner -- I've never had any kind of a reaction to it, and it's mostly water, fatty alcohols and essential oils. Just this week I switched over to the Trader Joe knock-off of the Giovanni condish. It's the one called Nourish Spa, and I like it even better. To clarify, I only use these as rinse-out conditioners, not as a leave-in. For a leave-in, I use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Kinky Curly Knot Today[/buylink] because it doesn't contain any oils at all. I also use home-made flax seed gel.

Your triggers may be different than mine, but if you study the ingredients of the products that affect you the most, you should be able to identify the problem(s). I hope this helps and that you find some relief soon.
  • TavymamaTavymama Posts: 10Registered Users
    Thank you for the advice I will try them. What type of shampoo do you use?
  • tctc Posts: 986Registered Users
    I have really sensitive skin too ... here's my shopping list for you: :)

1. Get a filter showerhead ... chlorine causes skin irritation too.
    2. California Baby Shampoo (if you like to wash your hair with shampoo) or Whole Foods 365 conditioner (if you'd rather wash it with conditioner)
    3. Aubrey Organics conditioner.
    4. Castor oil and another non-comedogenic oil to wash your face. (google OCM please) Or if OCM weirds you out, then Burt's Bees Orange facial cleanser.
    5. John Master's Organics body lotion (if you need a lotion)
    6. Tom's of Maine deodorant.
    7. Seventh Generation laundry detergent.

That is a complete list of everything I put on my skin and my sensitive skin is extremely happy now.

Also, you might find it useful to become slightly OCD about ingredients. Spend an afternoon (or two, or three) at cosmeticsdatabase.org and educate yourself about which ingredients cause skin irritation.

All of the products I listed are totally non-irritating to the vast majority of people. Everyone is different though. My skin had the biggest improvement when I stopped using any ingredient that causes skin irritation. Switching to a filter showerhead cleared up the last of it.
  • phyeephyee Posts: 5Registered Users
    I was recently diagnosed with +10 food, chemical and plant allergies and agree whole heartedly with the others. And can identify with your fustration!!

I also have a couple of suggestions...

- I HIGHLY recommend, like the others, Aubrey Organics and Seventh Generation products.
    If your store does not carry SG; try Arm & Hammer's product line or Purex Clothing Detergent.

- If possible change your air conditioning filter at least 1x monthly.
    (Sometimes really irritated skin can be affected by indoor air quality). A brand you could try is Arm & Hammer's Allergen Reducer Filter.

- Look into a good clarifyer for your skin and scalp.
    Your scalp & skin may have built-up a thin layer of residue over time. I recommend Chamomile, Peppermint Tea-Bag Rinses for hair and scalp. *Becareful, a chamomile rinse left on the hair can create highlights in blondes. Also invest in a good facial toner, like those containing Witch Hazel.

- Do some research online to see if anyone else has an allergic reaction to the product(s) you use!
    I have found many people with my same food allergy, and those with a similiar/same chemical allergy. They maybe able to point you in the right direction of what products to use (and avoid).

I hope your allergies get better!
    <3s
  • TavymamaTavymama Posts: 10Registered Users
    what is OCM?
    OCM stands for Oil Cleansing Method. There's a huge thread about it on the Makeup/Skincare board. I tried it with a few different oils and had bad reactions to all of them which is what helped me realize that the carrier oils in the hair conditioners were triggering the reactions on my face. Such a bummer since my hair loves the oils and is happier with them. :sad2:

I'm not currently using shampoo, but when I was, I used the Giovanni 50:50 shampoo. Or now, I would buy the Trader Joe's knock-off of it since it's cheaper.
  • dimples12553dimples12553 Posts: 69Registered Users
    Have you ever thought of using plain old jojoba oil?

Here are some of the benefits of using this amazing oil:
    1. For healthy skin and hair, Jojoba Oil is found to be an ideal moisturizer and conditioner which is derived from a natural plant. Its oil is highly regarded as an effective conditioner, moisturizer, cleanser and softener for the skin and hair.
    2. Jojoba oil is non-greasy, colorless and odorless. While application of oils directly on the hair can be very obvious from afar, using Jojoba oil is non-greasy and unnoticeable.
    3. Jojoba oil is not irritating to the skin if applied to dry, itchy and sore scalp. Our scalp is sensitive when it is dry and applying Jojoba oil and then rinsing your scalp with clean water is one way of treating this scalp condition.
    4. If there is too much sebum found on the scalp, Jojoba oil can dissolve and take out the sebum, allowing the hair to be cleansed.
    Do you realize how much money you can save on NOT having to purchase the other products IF this one works. And it is also NATURAL.
    Dimples12553:afro:
    • Type: 4B, feels more like a 4C
    • Last Relaxer: 6/2001
    • Moisturizer: Raw unrefined shea butter, virgin coconut oil cream
    • Daily Spritz: recipe of Aloe Vera Gel, water & glycerine with some peppermint essential oil for a little tingle
    • Remember HAPPY hair is HEALTHY Hair. :wav:
    Not sure if you're asking me or the OP about the jojoba, but yes, I've tried it. And castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, shea butter, and those are just the ones I can remember right now! I would love to be able to use these, but they just aren't for me. Just because something is natural or organic doesn't mean it won't trigger a sensitivity in someone. Unfortunately.
  • dimples12553dimples12553 Posts: 69Registered Users
    Sorry, but I was responding to Tavymama. You already have an idea as to what you get reactions from she does not. Your post mentioned the OCM , and with that you still had a reaction.

Until I do more research, I would not be able to give you any information. The only thing that I can even think of is that there has to be something in the ingredients that you are having a reaction to that you are overlooking.

I am guessing that you do wash your hair be it regular was or cowash. There has to be a way that you use to remove the debris from your hair. Have you ever thought that it can be the additives in the water that you are having a reaction to unless the reaction is localized only on the face an scalp.

See, this causes me to want to do more research to find out all the particulars.

B-wavy wrote: »
    Not sure if you're asking me or the OP about the jojoba, but yes, I've tried it. And castor oil, olive oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, shea butter, and those are just the ones I can remember right now! I would love to be able to use these, but they just aren't for me. Just because something is natural or organic doesn't mean it won't trigger a sensitivity in someone. Unfortunately.
    Dimples12553:afro:
    • Type: 4B, feels more like a 4C
    • Last Relaxer: 6/2001
    • Moisturizer: Raw unrefined shea butter, virgin coconut oil cream
    • Daily Spritz: recipe of Aloe Vera Gel, water & glycerine with some peppermint essential oil for a little tingle
    • Remember HAPPY hair is HEALTHY Hair. :wav:
  • tctc Posts: 986Registered Users
    it is possible but pretty uncommon for a non-comedogenic oil by itself to cause a skin reaction. I think it's a common misconception to associate oil with acne because skin tends to produce more oil when it's irritated.
    If you had a reaction when you tried OCM, I'm curious to know what other products you used on your face around the same time and what were their ingredients?

not ruling out the possibility of irritation caused by oil ... but it's pretty uncommon. according to http://cosmeticsdatabase.org, oils are some of the least irritating ingredients out there.
    My theory is that the true irritant for me is actually the Vitamin E that naturally occurs in the carrier oils. Years ago when I was in my mid-20s, I read a magazine article that advised applying pure Vitamin E oil to your skin for its benefits, so I did it and had a horrible reaction. Ever since then I've had to be careful of products where E occurs too high in the ingredients list. I didn't associate it with the carrier oils until I read something online about various vegetable oils and their Vitamin E content -- the lightbulb went off!

Don't worry, I've learned to be very careful when introducing anything new to my routine whether it be skincare or hair products. I always wait until I've been in an established routine and haven't had any reactions for several weeks before I throw something new into the mix. It's the only way to know for sure what the problem is.
  • rosabearrrosabearr Banned Posts: 165Banned Users
    I have sensitive skin as well
    I am light complected Hispanic - American/Mexican/part black/German

- Laundry detergent - I use ECOS powder/Gain w/Baking Soda
    -Shampoo - Clarifying by Silk Elements
    -Conditioner - One that has lot of moisture and contains some vegetable oil
    -Body wash - I have to be real full as what I am using
    I prefer to use hand wash as body wash because this is really mild - I like milk & honey.

I also think wise to as if in my budget
    I don't like spending 20 dollars for something i might not use again so for example if body wash is 3.99 for 40oz this worth my money. I also take into face how well return policy as if you were going to get your money back

I do my shopping at Walmart store or supercenter as this store will take returns within 90 days with or without receipt "you need state id" you get store credit

If you have your receipt than you get your money back

Ex walmart worker that does not like hiring beifts

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file