um...1st time straightener...can I ask some questions?

TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
Long post coming Ladies

Ok for starters I'm over 30 years old and I've NEVER straightened in my life and never wanted to.

My future MIL is a 3B who straightens all the time, and she has a really nice ceramic flat iron.

After a day of wearing my hair in a braid, it gets smoothed out but not straight. She let me borrow the iron a day after braid day and I said what the hell, I'll try it.

Wow! 20 mins and I was done! And that was on Thursday, and my hair is still straight and looks fine, I probably won't wash until Monday.

I am hardly turning my back on my naturally wavy curly self. I think my hair looks better curly and in a way is softer curly, BUT it's nice once in a while to be able to do a change and not have to do my hair every other day! Woot!

As for questions:

How often is too often to straighten? I was thinking that I'll only do it once a month or so. My hair got so hot I couldn't touch it, must be doing some damage there! Is heat damage ever repairable or negligable?

I saw steam coming off of my dry hair when I was straightening it, is that bad? Am I killing my hair?

The wash before I used Giovanni TTT and Nexus Leave In. Are there any products/ingredients I should be looking to use before I straighten?

Does straightening hurt your curl pattern?

Any advice, comments, criticism, stories, etc would be helpful. Like I said, I have never straightened before in my life!
Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
CK & ReCoil--Activator
Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
For inquiring minds who want to know:

• britney.britney. Posts: 292Registered Users
    Straightening your hair once or twice a month is fine. But definitely use a heat protectant on your hair. The steam is normal, that happens when you straighten your hair when it's still damp. As far as I know, it does not hurt your curl pattern.

I made the mistake of straightening my hair EVERYDAY, and without a heat protectant! My hair is now very damaged. I have really bad breakage, my hair is dry, dull, etc.

Hope that helps! :)
    2c/3a some 3b/Thick/Fine texture?/High Porosity
    Currently trying out the CG method again as of 1/3/12!

Current Routine:
    Co-wash/RO: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Low poo: Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat (when needed)
    Products: LA Looks Sports Gel and Curly Kinks Coil Jam

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file