Ouidad Ad Annoys Me

Doesn't her hair look weird? Like they used a curling iron on like 4 parts on the top of her head?

Does this lady's hair bug you too?

Comments

• jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, indeed, those Ouidad ads have always annoyed me -- they are always photos of women whose curls don't look real or natural.

The other ad you asked about doesn't annoy me as much. :)
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • sarahthewarriorsarahthewarrior Posts: 252Registered Users
    I've always thought that model's hair was kind of ugly--maybe it's because it doesn't look right. It certainly doesn't make me want to try Ouidad products. I do like this model's hair, though. I have no idea if her hair is natural.

[URL="http://www.naturallycurly.com/adsystem/www/delivery/ck.php?oaparams=2__bannerid=243__zoneid=35__cb=33057a50c1__maxdest= http://www.ouidad.com/default.asp?sc=O9A-FDS-L-HP-natcurl"]09a-fds-l-hp-natcurl.gif[/URL]

However, I'm madly in love with this Hair Rules ad. If she's a wavy, I'll trade my curls in any day!

rules160x600_03.jpg
    Fine but dense 3B: naturally red, naturally curly
    CG since July 8, 2008!
    Co-Wash: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom Conditioner
    Rinse-Out: Giovanni TTTT Conditioner
    Leave-In: Suave Wild Cherry Blossom Conditioner
    Products: Clairol 3-in-1 Condition mousse with L.A. Looks Sport gel
    Fotki pw: curls Updated 9-4-09
  • smokindivasmokindiva Posts: 90Registered Users
    jillipoo wrote: »
    Yes, indeed, those Ouidad ads have always annoyed me -- they are always photos of women whose curls don't look real or natural.

The other ad you asked about doesn't annoy me as much. :)

I totally agree with you. I never buy products or fall for the hype of a product where it is obvious that her hair was curled with an appliance. Doesn't sit well with me either so I understand your annoyance
    "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    -MLK

Loves: Henna, Amla, Rhassoul clay, avocado butter, aloe vera gel, flax seed gel and castor oil.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I haven't been liking it either: straight sections, curling-iron ---blah.
  • jaimersjaimers Posts: 98Registered Users
    The thing that annoys me the most is that they couldn't find a girl with naturally-occurring, normal-looking curls to use out of all the curly girls out there??

We should volunteer our hair for these ads. I've seen much better hair in this forum than in many ads.
  • tctc Posts: 986Registered Users
    the red-haired girl in the ouidad ad looks like the hair would feel really crunchy.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Her hair looks very producty and looks like it should be curlier.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ninja dogninja dog Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    jaimers wrote: »
    The thing that annoys me the most is that they couldn't find a girl with naturally-occurring, normal-looking curls to use out of all the curly girls out there??

We should volunteer our hair for these ads. I've seen much better hair in this forum than in many ads.

You're right! Yours, for example!
  • nutterbutterflynutterbutterfly Posts: 137Registered Users
    that ad has always bothered me. get someone with REAL curls, and leave them REAL for the ad since that's how people use the product!

...btw, they do have incredibly awesome climate control gel (use it in the summer) ... thought I might throw that in there. it DOES work. gave me some pretttty incredible curling action. (no curling irons required!)

But yes, I do love the hair rules ads :) I always look for them on the side bars
    I am a 3a/b with normal-coarse hair that is medium-thick and fairly porous.

Currently using:
    ~VitaminShampoo (CG :mrgreen: )
    ~L'oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss for medium to long hair that's curly/wavy
    ......wow that is a mouthful.
    ~Garnier Fructis curl-shaping spray gel
    *or*
    ~Pantene curl defining mousse
  • kitten59kitten59 Posts: 68Registered Users
    Yeah. it doesn't look natural a all. I don't like it when each individual curl is so clearly defined and rather stiff looking. If anything, I prefer the women's hair in that Batia and Aleeza ad- more natural, more volume, and like you could maybe run your fingers through it without getting stuck ;-).
    CG for 1.5 months
    Wavy + curly
    Products I'm rotating:
    Suave, Vo5, ACV w/honey, Giovanni Tea Tree, Giovanni 50/50
    Leave-ins- KCKT, Bioinfusion Cond. Balm, Biosilk Smoothing Balm, Giovanni DLI
    LOOB, KCSS

Protein DT: Joico K-Pak

Playing with:
    Loma Imply, KBBSS, KBHN, shampoo bars from KM
    KCCC, CBSS WSHP, DM Lock + Twist, DM Coco Curly

http://public.fotki.com/kitten59/
  • jaimersjaimers Posts: 98Registered Users
    ninja dog wrote: »

You're right! Yours, for example!

awww, thanks!
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lol, ok, now... the second pic you asked about... the red head? TOTALLY doesn't bother me at all, simply because it's almost identical to how my hair behaves on nearly a daily basis.

http://public.fotki.com/MimsTX/random-experiments/dsc00334.html

http://public.fotki.com/MimsTX/just-beginning-cg/dsc00235.html

I have bits at the front that spiral perfectly, like she does, and bits underneath that are those weird, kinda stringy/wavy curls. And believe me, it's 100% naturally occuring. I don't even wind bits around my fingers to encourage the curl. Just scrunch and diffuse.

For whatever reason, my curls are usually INSANELY well defined. TOO defined at times, to me personally. There are times when I wish I could have all that lovely, fluffy volume I see others rocking. But especially when I try to photograph it, my hair always looks really defined and like it might be crunchy, like the girl in the ad, even though the curls are quite soft to the touch.

*shrug* just throwing it out there. It's very possible those curls are mostly, if not all, completely natural.

(and as for the Hair Rules wavy redhead... I would KILL for those spirals, though I'm fairly certain they're not naturally occurring. I've never seen that particular curl pattern with THAT kind of uniformity in the curls. Maybe I"m wrong though...)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    :Insanely Jealous: Life is so not fair Mims! Seriously though, that red haired chick on the Hair Rules ad is really cute, but looks really manufactured or photoshopped. It doesn't stop me however from having the guilty pleasure of wanting that hair every time I look at it though :angry3:.
    MimsTX wrote: »
    lol, ok, now... the second pic you asked about... the red head? TOTALLY doesn't bother me at all, simply because it's almost identical to how my hair behaves on nearly a daily basis.

http://public.fotki.com/MimsTX/random-experiments/dsc00334.html

http://public.fotki.com/MimsTX/just-beginning-cg/dsc00235.html

I have bits at the front that spiral perfectly, like she does, and bits underneath that are those weird, kinda stringy/wavy curls. And believe me, it's 100% naturally occuring. I don't even wind bits around my fingers to encourage the curl. Just scrunch and diffuse.

For whatever reason, my curls are usually INSANELY well defined. TOO defined at times, to me personally. There are times when I wish I could have all that lovely, fluffy volume I see others rocking. But especially when I try to photograph it, my hair always looks really defined and like it might be crunchy, like the girl in the ad, even though the curls are quite soft to the touch.

*shrug* just throwing it out there. It's very possible those curls are mostly, if not all, completely natural.

(and as for the Hair Rules wavy redhead... I would KILL for those spirals, though I'm fairly certain they're not naturally occurring. I've never seen that particular curl pattern with THAT kind of uniformity in the curls. Maybe I"m wrong though...)
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• kitten59kitten59 Posts: 68Registered Users
    MimsTX, are you kidding me? That first pic of your hair is killer! And way better than the redhead's!
    CG for 1.5 months
    Wavy + curly
    Products I'm rotating:
    Suave, Vo5, ACV w/honey, Giovanni Tea Tree, Giovanni 50/50
    Leave-ins- KCKT, Bioinfusion Cond. Balm, Biosilk Smoothing Balm, Giovanni DLI
    LOOB, KCSS

Protein DT: Joico K-Pak

Playing with:
    Loma Imply, KBBSS, KBHN, shampoo bars from KM
    KCCC, CBSS WSHP, DM Lock + Twist, DM Coco Curly

http://public.fotki.com/kitten59/
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    lol, i was kicking myself that I don't have any recent pictures, because it looks more and more like hers every day lately, it seems like. I lost my cord for my camera though, and haven't uploaded anything in ages >.<

Still, lol, thanks!
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
  • burgundy_locksburgundy_locks Posts: 2,420Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You guys are silly :pottytrain1:
    para los gustos se hicieron los colores

i has no hair type? (medium, f-iii), normal porosity, LOW elasticity.
    CG journey began 2/8/09 - 4-08-09.. and then mod cg 4/14/09 -... 03/02/10- Barely CG but I like CG products :)
    wash with Low Poo or Poo
    condition with GVP Conditioning Balm or CJ BC Daily, Loreal Color Vive for Color Treated Hair Thats Normal
    Leave ins- Garnier S&S; Marrakesh oil
    style with - Ohm SHP; KCCC- BRHG or Boots- KCCC- BRHG; CIAB; CCCC
    Protein- GVP Joico K-Pak
    Play with ACV
  • helloitsiohelloitsio Posts: 1,369Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    The way her curls start almost exactly where the barrel of a curling iron would end bothers me. And the way her roots lift in such an odd fashion is a dead giveaway of a touch up...either that or a REALLY odd way of clipping
    2 b/c :: slight protein sensitivity :: med/coarse texture :: normal porosity

http://public.fotki.com/Helloitsio/
    http://skinandhairjunkie.wordpress.com/
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    Yeah, I have a problem w/the Hair Rules Redhead. I really don't think you could make a transition like that. Generally wavy hair is straight at the roots. You can adjust for volume and things but I doubt that any product will make your hair curl at the root.

OTOH, wavy girls, if you do have a product that does this please share! I just know my hair will never curl at the roots...because wavy hair doesn't really do that.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • mary99mary99 Posts: 52Registered Users
    The Ouidad ad annoys me because of the flesh-colored tube top. Hideous. That ad needs some color.

The hair rules girl looks like they hit her with a fire hose or something in that top pic.
  • ARTHAROSEARTHAROSE Posts: 59Registered Users
    WOW ---

I just found this thread and can't believe the reaction.

Of course they're "Natural" curls in the Photos.

My hair is a combination of ringlets and waves, and lots of frizz without the right combo of products, but I've been following the instructions on the Ouidad website about ten years, using her products almost exclusively, and my hair looks pretty good most of the time. Not at all like the Models of course, but pretty good if I'm diligent about deep treatments, take my time gelling and clipping, and don't touch while my hair is drying.

The four times that I've been to the Ouidad salon (Gift certificates mostly) my hair looked AMAZING once they were done with the cut and styling, and I've watched them do many heads that came out looking like those models.

No curling irons, just proper use of Product, and clipping to give height and definition.

It's funny, but I posted a few days ago about thinking of switching to Deva products just because I wanted to try something new ( I even ordered some things) but now I'm almost afraid to use them if they aren't intended to give me smooth, shiny, bouncy curls like these models.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
  • hazelnuthazelnut Posts: 199Registered Users
    Doesn't her hair look weird? Like they used a curling iron on like 4 parts on the top of her head?

Does this lady's hair bug you too?
    They kind of bother me because it looks like they used a curling iron on her hair. Companies do whatever they can to sell their product.
    My hair is: 3b-4a, at my shoulders

My goal: To have my hair down to my waist or near my waist by 2012!

My favorite quote:
    Don't be afraid of death... but rather the unlived life. - Angus Tuck in the movie Tuck Everlasting

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file