look at my routine.. i'm new and desperate.

low-poo: devacare

co-wash/condition: suave naturals coconut

gel: [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-Angell-p-57.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-angell]deva angell[/buylink]

clips and air dry.

i have no clue what i'm doing. my hair looked good yesterday. today i just did co-wash and it's all poofy. i'm not liking it at all. I am a 3a I think.

Do you al use the same thing to co-wash and condition?

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    I can get away with it during the summer, but not during the colder months. I need a thicker and richer conditioner for my rinse-out.

Did you distribute your gel evenly? If I don't, I'll get some poof.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • ReddishRocksReddishRocks Posts: 779Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Depending on where you live, you probably need a more effective rinse-out conditioner. Most people I know use the Suave as a co-wash because one of its primary ingredients is a surfactant. The Deva low-poo contains a surfactant that's just a step below Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. If you're not using Deva's One Conditioner, which contains amodimethicone, then you probably don't need to use their low-poo all the time. I still use a low-poo occasionally, but not every time I wash. Welcome to the wild world of curls + chemistry! :D On my blog, I've got lists of posts from this site, plus other curlies' blogs that have great information on the confusing world of CG. I especially like Laura Lee's blog post.

I also agree with Jenn - if you didn't distribute your gel equally, you'll get poofy spots. ;) Keep asking specific questions and we can help!!!

17May09GlenEyriecrop-1.jpg

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
    2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
    M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
    Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
    Humectants: @ dew point 40+
    My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
  • rheinfrankstephrheinfranksteph Posts: 22Registered Users
    i just scrunch the gel in? should i comb it in the shower? i'm about to give up. seriously. i straightened today and i had a ton of breakage on the top and i never get that. i'm not sure where it came from.
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    If you are low-pooing and co-washing, you're basically cleaning your hair twice, which is unecessary and potentially drying. The "breakage" you're seeing is probably dried out frizz. Suave coconut is not very rich at all; the reason most of us use it is for cleaning, not conditioning. You're using 2 methods of cleaning but no conditioning, hence, frizz and poof. I think you definitely need a richer conditioner and you need to pick which method of cleaning you're going to use. If you choose to cowash, it's still perfectly fine to low-poo occasionally. But you really shouldn't do both every time you wash
    http://www.dormroomcurly.blogspot.com

www.twitter.com/dormroomcurly

Fine/thin 2c/3a, Low-Medium Porosity, Dry!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file