Is mineral oil/petrolatum bad? rop

I like to use Blue Magic conditioner hairdress on the ends/length of my hair. I use less than a dime size amount. I just pat my finger on it and rub my hands together and smooth it on. I read about it on a blog, (barbie blonde) and it's her hg to use after bleaching. It really makes my length soft/shiny.

Ingredients: Petrolatum,Lanolin,Lechithin,Mineral Oil, Fragrance.
Fine, Straight, Bleached, Long Hair,TJ Nourish lowpoo for rinsing out bleach, Kpak protein. Gvp hydrating balm. cowashing with vo5 kiwi.
I am a conditioning fiend!

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Those products prevent moisture from penetrating the hair shaft and are difficult to remove. Lanolin is another ingredient that can be difficult. Most of us wouldn't a product that had any one of those ingredients, let alone all of them.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've seen many notice that it does build up over time and cause dryness. I don't think it's something that should be used regulatly.

That being said, the GVP protein treatment that I use does contain mineral oil, and it doesn't bother me in that because I don't use it frequently enough for it to build up.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I guess it depends on what you're trying to achieve. Many of us limit our shampoo use, or use alternative means to wash our hair (like CO washing) and this would be a big no-no for us, due to build-up issues.
    If you shampoo your hair frequently, using commercial shampoos that have sulfates in them for instance, then it might be okay.
    How long have you been using this? If it's been a long while now, and you're not having any issues of dryness from it, then I say continue what you're doing. If it's new to you, you can either experiment and see how it goes...or don't use it. I'd vote don't use it personally, but everyone's hair is different and everyone's goals are different.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • sweettartsweettart Posts: 85Registered Users
    i've only used a few times, so I guess it's too early to tell. I use a sulfate free poo so that might not be enough to wash it out. I thought it might seal my hair and trap in all my conditioning, but if it doesn't wash out then all my conditioning wouldn't be able to absorb....sounds like it is just as bad as silicones
    Fine, Straight, Bleached, Long Hair,TJ Nourish lowpoo for rinsing out bleach, Kpak protein. Gvp hydrating balm. cowashing with vo5 kiwi.
    I am a conditioning fiend!
  • ReddishRocksReddishRocks Posts: 779Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    I guess it depends on what you're trying to achieve. Many of us limit our shampoo use, or use alternative means to wash our hair (like CO washing) and this would be a big no-no for us, due to build-up issues.
    If you shampoo your hair frequently, using commercial shampoos that have sulfates in them for instance, then it might be okay.
    How long have you been using this? If it's been a long while now, and you're not having any issues of dryness from it, then I say continue what you're doing. If it's new to you, you can either experiment and see how it goes...or don't use it. I'd vote don't use it personally, but everyone's hair is different and everyone's goals are different.
    Boomy, I love your balanced response. :thumbright:

From what I've read, mineral oil does require a strong sulfate to remove, and even then it's rather resistant.

17May09GlenEyriecrop-1.jpg

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
    2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
    M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
    Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
    Humectants: @ dew point 40+
    My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to be able to get away with using mineral oil occasionally. I rotate all my products, so I've never really had a problem with buildup.

I can't get away with it at all now. Since the summer, I've been using more natural products almost exclusively. My hair is healthier and curlier than it has ever been, but it also much pickier!! I used the product that had mineral oil in it and yuck. I paid for it for a week. My hair was limp and frizzy. It looked like I'd been cleaning it with chlorine.

I have since given all my products away. So ... ITA everyone's hair is different and even our own hair can change its mind with what it likes!! If you start having trouble with your hair, it would be one of the products I'd take out of your regime.
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lanolin is what keeps a sheep's fleece water resistent when they're in the fields. It's also what what has to be totally washed out when combing/processing the sheared fleece.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file