What did you do for your baby's first birthday cake?

sonnysonny Posts: 467Registered Users
My little girl has never had eggs and has had minimal sugar... so the question is what do I do. I don't want her to get sick from eggs or overload of sugar. Furthermore she is not eating foods with too much texture.... I am at a loss. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.:lurk:
We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people. ~.Martin Luther King Jr

Comments

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    A girlfriend made his cake. I didn't give her special rules about it but felt that it tasted more wholesome than store bought. Xander hadn't had eggs and very minimal sugar up until that point as well. He didn't get an awful lot of cake into his mouth but loved what made it in there.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I just had Dylan's made at the Publix bakery. I'm usually more selective about what I give him, but I figured once isn't a big deal. He didn't eat much of it anyway. Most of it ended up on his face, clothes, and flying in chunks across the room.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    We got a bakery cake too, and let him have a few bites. He had tasted sweets and eggs and such a few times, so I wasn't worried about him reacting badly to it. I was a party pooper and didn't let him feed himself and smear it all around his face; I just gave him bites off a fork.
    ehLB.jpg
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    One year olds get sick from eggs and sugar? That's news to me. Mine loved getting a little cake and frosting (especially the frosting) on their first birthdays, even if they weren't eating much regular food by then.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    I baked a carrot cake (skipped the nuts). It wasn't super-sweet like a store cake might be, but sweet enough. And think about it, if you use 2 or even 4 eggs for a cake that servers 12, and your baby doesn't even eat a whole slice, how much egg are they really eating? I wouldn't worry about it.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm bad mommy, I guess. I got my little girl one of those mini-cakes and let her have at it! She didn't eat much, but she did wear a lot!

August07117-01.jpg
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Neither of my kids had more than a bite or two of their first birthday cakes. The cake is mainly for pictures and for the other guests.

I baked my son's cake - just a normal chocolate birthday cake. He had a little frosting and cake. We didn't do the smash cake or anything.

My daughter is allergic to everything that goes into a normal cake so I made her a wheat-free wacky cake with fondant icing. I tested all the new ingredients out on her beforehand. I think she just had a little nibble anyways. She was more interested in her applesauce. Oh and I made a regular cake for everyone else.

If you are concerned about it, I would pick up a cupcake from the grocery store and do a test run. Unless you have reason to think that she has allergies, I'm sure she'll be fine.
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    We bought cupcakes for DD's birthday and scraped the frosting off hers so she wouldn't get totally sugared up. She took the first bite, and then never removed the cupcake from her face. She kept shoving it in as if we were going to take it from her. LOL
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    I had never giving River much sugar, but let him dig in on his birthday. I just didn't let him eat a ton of it. He was really more interested in playing in it than eating it anyway. Cupcakes are an easier way to ensure how much or how little they eat. He was eatign lots of solids by then, so that wasn't an issue... maybe a birthday pudding???
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i made her a smash cake from one of those box mixes and bought cupcakes for the guests. she didnt really eat more than a few bites of either.
    Looks wise: We did a small round cake for him to destroy and then I did four cupcakes on "top" of that one so it looked like a puppy dog paw print. Then more cupcakes with pawprints on them.

• AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    He hadn't had many solids until then either, but you have to try things out some time, unless you have a reason to believe the baby might have a severe allergy to eggs. For his actual birthday, I made a cupcake and that was fine, so for the party, which was that weekend, I made a regular cake. He also just took a few bites and then played with it. I'm not anti-sugar - I think everything in moderation is fine. I do have some food allergies and have been watching him for them, but I can eat eggs and he hasn't shown any signs of allergies other than eczema which he had when he was EBF.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    We bought cupcakes for DD's birthday and scraped the frosting off hers so she wouldn't get totally sugared up. She took the first bite, and then never removed the cupcake from her face. She kept shoving it in as if we were going to take it from her. LOL

That is so cute!

And so is Nynaeve's birthday girl!

I really thought my son would get into his piece of cake but apparently he is OCD about getting sticky. My daughter - well, her cake tasted like a**, so I wasn't expecting much.
  • Yes, Still PaulaYes, Still Paula Posts: 485Registered Users
    My daughter's b-day is 2 days after Christmas, so for her first b-day, I actually bought a New Year's cake from the store (the only thing that was really available) and turned it into a b-day cake. You couldn't tell the difference much by looking at it. I was too worn out at the time to try to make it.

But for her 2nd birthday last month, I actually DID make her cake myself. It came out real good.

I gave her a small piece each time and it was no problem at all. We normally don't give her sweets anyhow.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I made a plain sponge cake in the shape of a 1 for DS1, it was disgusting. He had a sensitivity to dairy at the time so I had to use soy margarine and milk. To this day I can't stand the smell of soy milk! He enjoyed it though and played happily with it.
    3b in South Australia.
  • sonnysonny Posts: 467Registered Users
    Think we are gonna get a cake from the bakery and just get a whipped frosting cause those have less sugar. You guys are right she won't be getting a lot of eggs, really and I do want her to have sugar for her bday. I can't tolerate eggs but I have never really had a problem with minimal amounts in cakes/breads, etc. Thanks so much for all the replies!
    We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the vitriolic words and actions of the bad people, but for the appalling silence of the good people. ~.Martin Luther King Jr
  • curlygirlymecurlygirlyme Posts: 1,340Registered Users
    I made my son a cake for his first birthday and I made my daughter cupcakes for hers. Like everyone else has said don't give them a huge piece and they will wind up wearing a lot of it away so it's not a big deal. My daughters skin still reacts to eggs, but other than minor skin rritation I've not had a lot of problems. But my kids don't eat a lot of ice cream, cake, candy, etc. Mostly if they want a sweet they get a cookie after dinner.
    My kid thinks Crackers are "Cookies". He says "Cookie!" but he really wants a cracker. Everyone probably thinks he eats a ton of cookies b/c he is always talking about them! Haha! Also, he thinks raisens are like candy. that is what he gets as a sweet usually. On occassion I give him somethign that really IS junky, but very rarely....

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I ordered a cake from the bakery. For the first birthday they include a free mini round cake for the birthday kid. He got the whole cake...he really didn't eat much just played with it and enjoyed the icing.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I ordered a cake from the bakery. For the first birthday they include a free mini round cake for the birthday kid. He got the whole cake...he really didn't eat much just played with it and enjoyed the icing.

Same
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    sonny, you should definitely post pics after whatever cake you decide to go with has been destroyed.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • sonnysonny Posts: 467Registered Users
    Will do!
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    For DS's first birthday, I ordered an ice cream cake from Dairy Queen. But since DS doesn't like chocolate, I had them make it all vanilla with strawberries in the middle. He seemed to like it.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file