Any one using vitamins and nutritional supplements as part of your weight loss plan?

Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
I’m wondering….how many of you are using things like taking vitamins and stuff to help get your bodies into shape? I’m curious because after struggling with the first two weeks of my diet, I called and talked to my doctor. I was having serious problems with portion control and still being hungry after eating a proper “serving” of whatever it was that I was eating.

His immediate response was that he wanted me to take a fiber supplement, and that it would make me fuller, longer and keep away the hunger pains and cravings. He specifically told me to try Glucomannan. Apparently, it’s a fiber that bulks when taken with water, which gives you the full feeling. Today is my first day taking it, and I can definitely notice a difference. I’m not hungry and I’ve had to force myself to eat the snacks that I brought with me (apple and trail mix bar) so that I’m getting all of my calories (I’m on a 1500-1600 calorie a day diet).

He also recommended that I take a B vitamin supplement along with my regular multivitamin that I take. He said that the B vitamins will help my body convert the food I’m eating into energy more effectively, and that it will also help with the sluggishness that I’ve been experiencing also.

Are any of you ladies incorporating stuff like this into your diet and exercise programs? If so please share any success you have had with a particular supplement/vitamin.

Thanks!
Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Registered Users Posts: 15,402 Curl Neophyte
    I've heard of glucomannan and given your feedback, I'll try it. I use Benefiber because it's tasteless, odorless and textureless. I also take a daily probiotic, Cal/Mag in a 2:1 ratio, and a Vitamin D supplement. Flax/borage/Fish oil too. 2Gms of B-12. In addition to my regular multi and hair multi.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • lauraloolauraloo Registered Users Posts: 2,121
    I'm not taking a daily multi anymore because I feel like my diet is a lot more balanced than it used to be. However, since I'm on a carb-restricted diet, I opt for the "High Fiber" V8 to help me feel full and to keep my digestive system happy.

I've been feeling worn down lately, too, so I started taking iron again; I'm taking Floradix which is a liquid iron supplement and it also contains B vitamins.

Finally, when I can remember, I've been taking a calcium supplement, well, because women are supposed to. It's calcium plus vitD for absorption and magnesium for happy intestines.

Nappy, if you aim for food combinations of fiber and protein, you will feel fuller and satiated for longer. Good fats are also a good thing to have in a snack because they take longer to digest and help you feel full, too.
    Not all who wander are lost.

Fine and thin 3a. PW: curls
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    SBB....I kinda like the glucomannan. I know I don't get the daily recommended amount of fiber from my diet (even though I'm regular). I've taken fiber supplements in the past and I always got gas...painful gas...that gas that gets up in your intestines and makes you think you are having a heart attack gas! But with this....no gas (at least not more that usual..lol) but all of the other benefits.

Laura: Even though I try to get a balanced diet, I'm sure that I'm lacking in getting my daily allowances of things, so I need the daily multi vitamin. I'm working 12 hour days so I need all the help I can get to keep my body from shutting down on me under all this stress.

As far as the food combinations, I'll admit that its hard. I tend to not eat a lot of meat in general, but I'm a total carb whore. Bread is my weakness. I'm not on a carb restricted diet per say, but I am cutting way back on the carbs. Since I've never been much of a meat eatter, I'm adding more whole grains and veggies to my diet in place of the carbs.

Traditionally, food has always been my soother. If I"m stressed....I eat. And working 12 hours a day 7 days a week for the past 4 months, I would say that I'm under a HUGE amount of stress. In response to that, my hunger has gone through the roof, so I need something that's going to "trick" my mind and stomach into thinking that it's full so that I'm not shoveling food into it all day.

12459237.png
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Don't know if you saw the thread about the chia seeds and whether they would make a good hair gel? In the literature I got with them, it talked about using them as a dietary supplement. They are rich in Omega 3 and 6, but the gel they make is supposed to be an appetite suppressant. I used the gel (had seeds so couldn't put it in my hair) in food. Today, I just added 1/2 t to my yogurt. They were crispy and nutty (kind of soft and tasteless in gel.) I haven't used them enough to know if they'll work in any other way. I figure it can't hurt?
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mpgirlmpgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,163
    These are my opinions based on my working relationship with my doctor and my own research and lifestyle. I am not a nutritionist but I wish I were.:bigsmurf:

A good multi-vitamin, preferably a whole food vitamin, is necessary for everyone. You may think that you're getting your RDA's for the day, but most people fall woefully short. Take a look at the food pyramid and evaluate yourself. Add to that the lowered nutrient density of our food today and I feel strongly that most people are NOT getting their RDA's.

I would also be careful about using iron supplements. An excess of iron in the system is not eliminated through the urine as other supplements are when they are not needed. Overly high iron can cause serious issues.

Lean protein intake while dieting is extremely important. When you cut calories your muscles can suffer. You need muscle to maintain your ability to burn calories and to "look" good. Protein also makes you feel full and satisfies your hunger. I emphasize "lean" here. Bacon and sausage are NOT lean proteins.:wink:

For many of us, especially those of us above the age of 35 need to watch our carb intake. Our bodies and hormonal structures are changing at this time. Getting more of your carbs from fruits and vegetables instead of processed flours and seeds can be helpful in losing and maintaining weight. Starchy vegetables like green beans, peas and corn should be avoided. Green beans are actually legumes and those should be avoided as well.

Omega 3 fats are also very important. We need these fats and our bodies do not produce them. Fish, olive oil, walnut oil, walnuts are all good sources. Some of you may be concerned about the mercury found in fish. Up to 3 times a week should be okay if you can eat that much fish! Fish oil supplements are just as good and much more convenient.

Dairy products should be avoided because we all have lactose intolerance. It manifests itself differently or more severely in some of us, but we don't produce the enzymes to properly digest it after the age of 2. If you struggle with bloating/gas or suffer from plegm or sinus issues, you could be reacting to dairy. :puker: There are plenty of ways to get your calcium without it.

Eggs are good not bad. They do NOT promote high cholestorol in the body. They are high in protein and sulfphur. Eggs = good. They do have a high fat content in their yokes. Unfortunately, they have good stuff in there too. I limit my egg intake to six per week. Lots of benefits, low risks.:profileright:

Again, these points are my opinions, so vegetarians and vegans...don't scewer me. Lean meats are still the easiest and most available way to get your protein and successfully lose weight.

*she quietly gets off her soapbox*
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Registered Users Posts: 4,162 Curl Connoisseur
    humm...I'm curious mpgirl....what are your thoughts on egg beaters? I was in walmart and I saw the ones that have "a bit of yoke" to them. Slightly more calories, but I just assumed that the yolk would make em taste better...lol.

I'm thinking next week, about getting up maybe 10-15 min earlier so I can cook (ok...microwave) some breakfast rather than eatting in the car on the way to work as I do now. I'm thinking egg beaters, low carb tortilla, and a little bit of cheese....maybe some Canadian bacon? Currently, breakfast consists of a cup of yogurt and a fiber one bar, juice or water or I eat a pack of instant oatmeal and some juice when I get to work.

12459237.png
  • mpgirlmpgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,163
    humm...I'm curious mpgirl....what are your thoughts on egg beaters? I was in walmart and I saw the ones that have "a bit of yoke" to them. Slightly more calories, but I just assumed that the yolk would make em taste better...lol.

I'm thinking next week, about getting up maybe 10-15 min earlier so I can cook (ok...microwave) some breakfast rather than eatting in the car on the way to work as I do now. I'm thinking egg beaters, low carb tortilla, and a little bit of cheese....maybe some Canadian bacon? Currently, breakfast consists of a cup of yogurt and a fiber one bar, juice or water or I eat a pack of instant oatmeal and some juice when I get to work.

Egg beaters would be fine. I prefer fresh myself, but the convenience is worth it. If it is convenient you are more likely to do it.:wink:

Statistics show that starting your day with a high quality protein, like eggs, makes you less likely to over eat during the rest of your day so go for it. I think that sounds like a lovely breakfast. Watch the fat content of flour tortillas though. Some can be as much as 300 calories.:confused1:

Eating at home, sitting at a table is good too. Take the time to honor your food and yourself. Don't rush it.

Namaste
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi