Cutting your own hair?

boticellicurlsboticellicurls Posts: 17Registered Users
So I just went CG and shampoo-less four days ago. I'm a type 3a, and I'm loving it so far!

Trouble is, I have tons of leftover split ends from my flat ironing days. I need a haircut, but I'm terrified to get one. My old stylist has naturally curly hair, but she usually straightens hers. Whenever I go to her, she cuts my hair dry after she blow dries and flat irons it straight. Yikes.

I have read Lorraine Massey's book, and I'm considering trying my own hand at cutting my locks based on her chapter on cutting hair. Has anyone else tried this? It is a crazy idea? Thoughts? Feedback?

Comments

• j-jill. j-jill. Posts: 147Registered Users
    DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT cut your own hair.
    you will regret it, and it will be veeeryy uneven. Trust me. I've had friends and people I know who've done it before, and instantly regretted it.

Go to your stylist.
    If you do not want her to blow dry it and flat iron it, then ask her to trim it while it's wet instead, and then make her leave it to dry naturally?
    Or, better yet because you are embracing your naturally curly hair, ask her to cut it while it's natural, dry, and NOT blow dryed.
    Tell her firmly what you want.

Sorry.. I tried to help haha.
    Hair Type: 2b/2c (:

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I completely disagree. I've been cutting my own hair for more than 2 years. And plenty of girls on this board cut their own.

To the OP - you can totally cut your own hair. Just remember that you are going to want to cut individual curls. If you try to do an all over even cut like a stylist would, you'll probably end up a little hacked.

Here's an idea of what I do. I'll wash/condition/and style my hair while it's still wet. If you don't want to put product in at this point, you may want to use conditioner as a styler. This way you'll encourage specific curls into the shape they want.

If I'm doing a big cut, where I'm taking off a bit of length, I will take curl chunks, and twirl them around my finger in the direction they are already curling, then while holding it in the twisted postion, I snip off the bottom, and let it go. I'll do this randomly around the head for pieces I want to be more layered.

Then, to encourage curl and reshape, I let the curls form, by moisturizing and scrunching - then, I will cut the curl at the top, which means the top of where the curl makes an 'S' or a 'C' shape. Angle the scissors so that it will cut the INSIDE of the curl shorter, and the OUTSIDE of the curl longer - this way you encourage the curl pattern to continue along in the direction is going.

Does that make any sense? I hope that helps. PM me if you need more information!
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Babywavy: I'd like to hear more details, please. This is an interesting thread. I'm toying with the idea of trimming mine too--or having a friend do it to my specifications.

Please tell us more about how you do it. :confused1: (I don't have the book.) Is there a link to an article about how to do it anywhere on here?

TIA,
    CurlyLinZee
    Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
    Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
    Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
    Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
    Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
    Stylers:
    KCCC
    Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
    Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
    Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ETA: OOPS, I just realized you aren't Boticellibabe, so disregard this first paragraph unless your hair is pretty long, too!

I'd say that if you want to give it a try, give yourself a little trim and just see how it goes. Yours is long enough that you could still go get it professionally trimmed if you don't like the results.

I used to always cut my own hair, especially when I lived in a place that had three-way mirrors in the bathroom (large one over the counter with medicine cabinets on each side - it was great!). My hair was only about shoulder length at that time, so I needed to be able to see what I was doing. However, when it was longer, I did it much as Babywavy describes with just a single regular bathroom mirror.

I started cutting my own in high school (a l-o-n-g time ago, LOL) when I couldn't find anyone in my small town who could do it halfway decently. Continued with mine and all my friends in college (mostly straighties) and for several years after. Have continued to do my own on and off over the years.

I only don't now because I don't want to screw up the decent face frame I finally have started. If Struttswife gives us tips on that as she once discussed, I may go back to cutting my own - once I get past the bob I'm contemplating for next week to get rid of old highlights.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • swirlycurlyQswirlycurlyQ Posts: 2Registered Users
    auntnett wrote: »
    ETA: OOPS, I just realized you aren't Boticellibabe, so disregard this first paragraph unless your hair is pretty long, too!

totally uncool to practically copycat a name...there is only one Boticelli...and it's boticellibabe!!!!
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users

totally uncool to practically copycat a name...there is only one Boticelli...and it's boticellibabe!!!!

LoL what? The OP probably didn't know, seeing as she just joined. Even so, who cares? Like how many people here have "curly" or some variation of it somewhere in their SN? :laughing2: LoL
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    aislin wrote: »

LoL what? The OP probably didn't know, seeing as she just joined. Even so, who cares? Like how many people here have "curly" or some variation of it somewhere in their SN? :laughing2: LoL

Really! There are already other Boticelli this and that - it's not copyrighted. My bad - I just read it too fast, got it wrong, and didn't notice until after I'd already posted.

Welcome, Boticellicurls!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Posts: 5,297Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Babywavy: I'd like to hear more details, please. This is an interesting thread. I'm toying with the idea of trimming mine too--or having a friend do it to my specifications.

Please tell us more about how you do it. :confused1: (I don't have the book.) Is there a link to an article about how to do it anywhere on here?

TIA,
    CurlyLinZee

If there's anything more specific you need explained, let me know!

I know there are many threads about self cutting. I'm sure if you did a search you'd find some.

Good Luck!
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • CurlyLinZeeCurlyLinZee Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, BW!
    Hair type: 2c/3a ii, medium/coarse, desert hair
    Cleansers: CJ Daily Fix
    Conditioners: CJ Beauticurls Argan Oil, Tresemme
    Leave-In Conditioners: CJ BCLI
    Deep Conditioners: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Deep Fix, SS DDMT
    Stylers:
    KCCC
    Holding Gels: CJ Curl Queen
    Pomade: Jane Carter N&S
    Hair Likes: agave nectar, oils of any kind

• parzyparzy Posts: 246Registered Users
    I'm growing out so trying not to cut much, but my best trim/shapeup since a horrifying and traumatic hair disaster came from a friend of mine who is a landscaper.

He knows nothing about hair but he is an art-eeeest!.

I showed him where to cut the curls like babywavy is talking about and I told him to take his mad bonsai skills and shape me into lovely.

Because dry cutting is so completely different from traditional cutting his 3-D spacial understanding and ability to visualize what happens to shape on the other side of my head when he cuts this one piece on the opposite side, etc, was much more applicable than any stylist I have ever encountered. He also understands, again from thinking about shurbbery and vines, etc, what will happen to the shape as it grows.

Kinda goofy but it worked for me.
    2b (a fine 'n porous wavy)...and finally growing out :-)

Wash: Deva Low-poo
    Condish and leave in: OneC or Suave Coconut

Styler: Angell or the Deva foam, sometimes KKKC

Etc: Set It Free as a refresher

Protien: Looking for one

I love hairspray...don't judge
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    parzy wrote: »
    I'm growing out so trying not to cut much, but my best trim/shapeup since a horrifying and traumatic hair disaster came from a friend of mine who is a landscaper.

He knows nothing about hair but he is an art-eeeest!.

I showed him where to cut the curls like babywavy is talking about and I told him to take his mad bonsai skills and shape me into lovely.

Because dry cutting is so completely different from traditional cutting his 3-D spacial understanding and ability to visualize what happens to shape on the other side of my head when he cuts this one piece on the opposite side, etc, was much more applicable than any stylist I have ever encountered. He also understands, again from thinking about shurbbery and vines, etc, what will happen to the shape as it grows.

Kinda goofy but it worked for me.

interesting that it worked because that is how my hairstylist, carlos flores at mario diab salon in nyc, tells me he thinks about and cuts hair -- like a bonsai. he says the hair tells him when to cut. i've been having him cut my hair for 4 years now, and ALWAYS love my cut, always have good or great hair days, always get compliments. maybe your boyfriend has a second career!! lol glad it worked!

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • LunacurlLunacurl Posts: 150Registered Users
    I used to go to Devachan and got great cuts, and have been cutting my own hair for the last three years since moving out West and it still looks great.

What I do is turn gather my head in a pineapple ponytail, turn my head upside down, pull the hair as straight as possible through the ponytail holder, and cut straight across. This creates even layers. Then I might go in and do the s/c cuts on the curls the way babywave describes and cut a few of the strands around my face to frame it, and wallah! done.
    CG since 2002
    True 3b, but looser curls since moving to drier climate. BSL thick, medium-course hair with some 2C/3a on canopy. Curlygirl since 2001. Devachan client NYC from 2001-2005.

-co-wash w/Devacurl No-Poo or Suave conditioner
    -condition Deva One Condition or GVP Balm
    -i never use a leave in
    -style with KCCC or Angell or Devacurl Styling Cream
  • aeroheadaerohead Posts: 179Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

I bet the OP REAAALLY feels welcome now!!

BOTICELLICURLS......WELCOME!!:hello1:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thick, 2C with little 3A's thrown in to make my hair look a little more wild.FIA:2c/3a-M
    Last Haircut:17/1/07
    Ultimate Goal: To go as long as possible
    Products Used:coconut cowash, tescos own gel citrus spice whipped butter
    Hair Length:BSL
    NEW PHOTOS ADDED: 20th August'09
    http://public.fotki.com/aerohead/
  • Katina128Katina128 Posts: 560Registered Users
    Lunacurl wrote: »
    I used to go to Devachan and got great cuts, and have been cutting my own hair for the last three years since moving out West and it still looks great.

What I do is turn gather my head in a pineapple ponytail, turn my head upside down, pull the hair as straight as possible through the ponytail holder, and cut straight across. This creates even layers. Then I might go in and do the s/c cuts on the curls the way babywave describes and cut a few of the strands around my face to frame it, and wallah! done.
    I've been tempted to do this. So it really works? I hate spending so much money every time I need a cut. But, it's definitely worth it, just not always in the budget. I'd love to get it cut right now, a bit shorter, but don't have the money for it.
    Katina, 3a redhead with spirals/waves
    My Faves:
    CJ CCCC Lite, Mirracurls gel, Marie Dean Curly Styling Cream
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte

REALLY?????? You don't find that it creates a harsh line for the layers???? They blend nicely??? You are so brave! Do you have pics you can post in your fotki or something???? I wonder what a Pro would say to this!! OH SUNSHINE & Strutts Wife where are you??????
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    Yup. If you do a google search you will find this technique. It blends fine, and as I mentioned I go back in and clip the curls that need it at the "c", "s". Sorry, I do not use fokti, nor am I big on taking hair photos. But I promise you, it works for me. However, proceed at your own risk. I would hate for anyone to butcher their hair using this method.
    CG since 2002
    True 3b, but looser curls since moving to drier climate. BSL thick, medium-course hair with some 2C/3a on canopy. Curlygirl since 2001. Devachan client NYC from 2001-2005.

-i never use a leave in
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=41301

There are some video links on there too, you gotta be BRAVE!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • eche428eche428 Posts: 2,782Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I cut mine the same way as Lunacurl. It turned out great. Someday when it's grown out long enough I'd like to get a Deva cut. In the meantime I just do S&Ds when ever I need it.

Here's my before and after using Lunacurls technique. Plus one was before CG and the other was about a month after CG. But the cut was also after CG. ETA the really short layers at the top are actually my bangs pulled straight back with a clip.
    < member since 2006 (no idea where 1969 came from :toothy10:).

[FONT=&quot]Med/high porosity; color treated; med [FONT=&quot]d[/FONT]ensity 2c/3a.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Summer: (high dew point) co-wash [FONT=&quot]& leave-in [/FONT]Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair[FONT=&quot]. [/FONT]Ouidad Climate Control Heat & Humidity Gel.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Spring and Fall: (perfect dew point) co-wash & leave-in Curl Junkie Repair Me! or [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]BeautiCurls Strengthening Hair Conditioner; f[FONT=&quot]ollo[/FONT]wed by [FONT=&quot]CJ Pattern Pusha & [/FONT]Curl Queen.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] W[/FONT]inter: (low dew point) add in [FONT=&quot]CJ [/FONT]Coffee-Coco Curl Creme Lite[FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]
    Wow, looks fabulous!!! Great job!! I might have to try this!
    My Faves:
  • tctc Posts: 986Registered Users
    I cut my own hair too, using the comb-straight-up-and-cut-straight-across technique

The only downside is that it can get a bit mullety when your hair is only shoulder length like mine, so I stagger a bit with the crown longer than the sides & nape, so that the layers look more like they are evenly cascading and there's not a big mullety gap in between the crown layers and the lower layers. I don't think longer hair would have this issue but mine is short enough, and my nape hair is straight enough, that it makes a big difference.

I should post a pic ... I just cut mine last week and I'm loving it! I've been cutting my own hair for about 4 years now.
    This is basically what I do, but with my head upside down. My hair is long, so it comes out fine, but I can imagine that if your shorter hair you might need to be more careful.
    CG since 2002

-i never use a leave in
  • the23rdelfthe23rdelf Posts: 37Registered Users
    I just did this a few days ago and it was scary but worked out well! I grabbed a curl chunk, twisted it, and clipped off the end at the top of the C. Did it on some pieces right in front, but also on my canopy and it's just given my hair some new life. Something to consider is as was suggested: it is easiest to see what you are working with when you have super defined curls with some hold. I did it on 2nd day hair so the curls were a little longer than usual but I could clearly see what I was doing.
    I should add, though, I have been cutting my son's (curly) hair for his whole life (all 2 years now) so taking scissors to hair isn't quite as scary.
    Overall, I think I gave myself another month easily onto my last haircut, which is giving me that much more time to grow it longer!
    3a/3b Product Junkie, Mom of 2
    If you've done this recently, can you post pics for those of us contemplating it? I would love to see! :D
    My Faves:
    Weeeelll, OK!
    1st pic is just so you see I already have shorter pieces in the front and some shape throughout. Hopefully you can see, I took over 2" off some pieces in the front (crazy, but measured) and on both sides. May be hard to see where I took off on the sides, but working with a small mirror and an iPhone here :D
    Oh, and I think it looks way shorter today, but I didn't take any length off at all - I just have awesome clump today (thanks, Boots)!
    (Pic 1 has the obligatory pic of son, I'm a proud mama)
    Hope you can see a difference.
    I love it!! So cute!! Your son is a sweetheart too. I'm a proud mama, too, so I totally love seeing other's kids. :D Mine is almost to the top of my bra strap when dry. I'd love to get a couple of inches taken off, but I think I might be better suited to let my stylist do that. LOL
    My Faves:
    Oh thank you! That's very kind of you to say!
    I plan on going to my girl for a cut in a few weeks where we can address the overall shape and length together. For now, these teeny tweaks are doing the trick!
    Hehe, I just might try it for now to see how it works out.
    My Faves:
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I did a light trim last night as well, since my ends were feeling scraggly.

It took about an hour and change to do it, but I literally took each individual curl and just trimmed off the single strand knots and the very tip of the curl.

I tried not to cut off more than the tips that I was holding btwn my finger and thumb. So far so good.. my hair is not noticeably shorter or misshapen, and the ends feel much better. So for me this was worth doing.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    Great job Bekkapoo! Your hair is beautiful!

I decided I'd just let my stylist do it, so I went this morning and did the big chop. I now have a curly inverted bob and so far, I love it.
    My Faves:
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thank you..
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file