Questions about starting the no shampoo method?

i'd like to try the "no-poo" method, but i am afraid that my hair will look greasy, as when i don't wash my hair for 2 days, it becomes greasy. i'd really like to try this method as i am in middle school, and i currently have relatively frizzy (3a) hair,which is why i end up straightening it sometimes. i don't like being the only curly girl in my class, but i know that straightening my hair really damages it, and even though i don't straighten it that much, it is very dry. also, should i use a certain kind of conditioner? or is the typical pantene brand ok? and... does it really make a difference? in what way does it make your hair look better?

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Wow, so many questions! First, welcome :)

Here are some links that you should see, if you haven't already:

http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html (thanks to Laura Lee!)

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=47609

As far as going greasy, this usually only happens for a while as your scalp adjusts. It's used to having shampoo detergents remove oil and overcompensating because of that. Some people don't even have the greasy phase at the beginning. And if you, there are a few things you can do to help (like adding lemon juice to your conditioner, baking soda rinses, etc) which have been explained around the forum.

Personally, it's made a difference in my hair. The beginning was a little rough, but I got through it and it's so much better now! Good luck, and if you have any questions, everyone is happy to help!
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • LouisianaLeighLouisianaLeigh Posts: 211Registered Users
    1. the pantene probably will not work...most of their products are laden with cones.

2. if you are getting greasy roots, just wash your hair again. you may have to co-wash every day or every other day for a while. just accept that 2nd day hair may not happen for you at first. and then some magical morning you'll wake up on what heretofore would have been a wash day and your roots will look fine and you'll know your scalp has adjusted. :) as she said, sometimes it takes upwards of a month. but if you're getting greasy in the meantime, i think the best option is just to wash more. eventually it will even out.
    wurly, fine to medium, currently growing for waist-length
    embracing the waves since 10/20/08
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
  • sveetiepiesveetiepie Posts: 209Registered Users
    hope this is not a dumb question but, If your hair (mine!) is getting greasy with the poo less washing, which is the best way to do it? ie cond wash or water wash?
    for me just a water wash after a low poo the day before results in greasy heavy wavy- as opposed to curl- hair.
    Is it better to cond wash? I usually use either KBB SS or AOMM jelly as a leave in and style- not both , too heavy for my hair.
    thanks!

shoulder length long layered 2b/3a lots of it
    wash: Live Clean shampoo Abba pure curl Mop c hydrating
    cond: suave coconut Goldwell curly twist
    Protein: Redken Extreme Cat
    style: Ag:recoil Deva Mist-er right
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    sveetiepie wrote: »
    hope this is not a dumb question but, If your hair (mine!) is getting greasy with the poo less washing, which is the best way to do it? ie cond wash or water wash?
    for me just a water wash after a low poo the day before results in greasy heavy wavy- as opposed to curl- hair.
    Is it better to cond wash? I usually use either KBB SS or AOMM jelly as a leave in and style- not both , too heavy for my hair.
    thanks!

How often are you co-washing? How long have you been CG? What are you using for your co-wash?

In the beginning, I was co-washing every 2-3 days. I got greasy, so I upped it to every other day and that helped. You can also add a little lemon juice to your conditioner while adjusting.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • sveetiepiesveetiepie Posts: 209Registered Users
    I have been cg for over a year, probably mod though.
    I use what's in my sig- I find the 50/50 very mild, then cond the ends with AOHR,AOWC or Suave when it all gets too heavy and weighed down.
    I think I am a very oily person (sounds terrible!) but when I was wearing contacts even the optometrist would comment on the oil deposits on my lenses! I've since had laser eye surgery.
    I can't seem to find the right balance, even if I go one day without washing the hair it just falls flat and greasy-I don't mind washing everyday but I want better root curl which I do get when I don't wash (low poo) but is very yucky!-and not just the roots but all the way down the curl.
    All of my products are cg- i use a light hand - can't double up products eg LI with gel or jelly.
    Can you help a greasy gal?
    Oh yeah, forgot to add- my hair gets darker when I don't wash, I have strawberry blonde hair-when I wash with low poo the blonde comes out without it starts to get bronze like.

shoulder length long layered 2b/3a lots of it
    wash: Live Clean shampoo Abba pure curl Mop c hydrating
    cond: suave coconut Goldwell curly twist
    Protein: Redken Extreme Cat
    style: Ag:recoil Deva Mist-er right

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file