CurlTalk

House Passes $819 Billion Economic Stimulus

misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• CottonCandyCurlsCottonCandyCurls Posts: 344Registered Users
    And kudos to the House GOP for doing the right thing.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users

The Republicans are doing everything they can to sabotage Obama, so he will fail and they can get back into power next election cycle. They are doing this even though the f*cking country is falling down around our ears. They don't care if we all fail along with Obama. Yeah, that's the "right thing". :roll:
  • 3cCurly3cCurly Posts: 114Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    The Stimulus Bill = the Biggest Failure of all time
    Get ready for Hyper inflation and a whole lotta of goodies. :sad10:
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    For those who think it's a bad idea:

What are your suggestions?

The Republicans are doing everything they can to sabotage Obama, so he will fail and they can get back into power next election cycle. They are doing this even though the f*cking country is falling down around our ears. They don't care if we all fail along with Obama. Yeah, that's the "right thing". :roll:

Please "the Democrats & liberal's" who had sense shouldn't have voted against this wacky bill. GOP didn't have nothing to do with their foolishness of sabotaging their own butts. I give props to the
    GOP for having the guts to stand up against this hot mess!
    wild~hair wrote: »
    For those who think it's a bad idea:

What are your suggestions?

It's not rocket science to figure out what do, It's been proven throughout history that you cut taxes!
    Are you serious?

Is the conservative memory, like, 2 minutes or something?
    Are you serious?

Wow your so lame LOL

Do me the pleasure sweetie of reading a book

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGlKL_EpnSp8" class="Popup

Start off with basic principles of Economics
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB123310466514522309.html" class="Popup

For starters, how about maybe spending a little bit more than .12 for every dollar on real economic stimulus. This bill is nothing but a bunch of pork.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
    3cCurly wrote: »

Please "the Democrats & liberal's" who had sense shouldn't have voted against this wacky bill. GOP didn't have nothing to do with their foolishness of sabotaging their own butts. I give props to the

"Didn't have nothing"? Is that English?

And what is your alternative plan to keep Americans working?
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users
    Scarlet wrote: »
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB123310466514522309.html" class="Popup

For starters, how about maybe spending a little bit more than .12 for every dollar on real economic stimulus. This bill is nothing but a bunch of pork.

Obama said he was going to cut "pork" and this bill is full of it. I think that is the big complaint about it. My husband and I were both wondering about some of the places money is to be spent. . . why?

We are just back to politics as usual. Republicans voting against Democrats just like the Democrats voted against the Republicans the past 8 years. Somewhere, somehow, our politicians have to start working together for the better of the country. Not so sure all of the pork in this bill is the place to start, but I was very disillusioned that the whole GOP voted against it. That was too much down party lines.
    3b/c
    So, Republicans should vote for a bad bill just to show bipartisanship? I'm not being snarky, i'm just asking if that's what you meant. I'd rather be vote be right down party lines than vote for something that is going to do nothing to stimulate the economy and just cause massive inflation in 1 or 2 years.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • BBBB Posts: 475Registered Users
    The problem I have is the bill doesn't put money in people's hands.I don't mean tax cuts - if you are going to spend billions then directly help people pay their debt, refinance their mortgages, etc. The trickle down theory doesn't work, as proved by the bailout.
    A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.

-Mohandas Gandhi
    BB wrote: »
    The problem I have is the bill doesn't put money in people's hands.I don't mean tax cuts - if you are going to spend billions then directly help people pay their debt, refinance their mortgages, etc. The trickle down theory doesn't work, as proved by the bailout.

Paying people's debts and refinancing their mortgages doesn't solve the problem. We need to put people to WORK, and keep them working. And using those working people to rebuild our infrastructures kills two birds with one stone, because our infrastructure is falling down anyway...thanks to Reagan's policies of deferring maintanence for decades. This bill covers those things.
  • BBBB Posts: 475Registered Users
    ^^^
    RCW, I agree that our infrastructure is a mess and we need to invest in mass transit. The WSJ editorial about the stimulus bill was complaining about the $1 billion for Amtrak. Uh, how many times have we bailed out the airlines? And trains carry more people and are more resourceful.
    A coward is incapable of exhibiting love; it is the prerogative of the brave.

-Mohandas Gandhi

There was a plan being proposed by some House Republicans that would include reducing the lowest tax rates from 15% to 10% and from 10% to 5%. Also up to a 20% tax deduction for small businesses. This would immediately put money back into the economy.

Anway, here's a link to the CBO's analysis of the House package:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbo.gov%2Fftpdocs%2F99xx%2Fdoc9968%2Fhr1.pdf" class="Popup
    ^^^
    RCW, I agree that our infrastructure is a mess and we need to invest in mass transit. The WSJ editorial about the stimulus bill was complaining about the $1 billion for Amtrak. Uh, how many times have we bailed out the airlines? And trains carry more people and are more resourceful.

Exactly. It's ridiculous that the conservatives don't want to invest in mass transit. That tells me they are more concerned about being in power than in fixing our country, because any idiot knows that we NEED mass transit.

We also need birth control. I'm so sorry that Obama caved so quickly on that one. For some people, the only healthcare they get is their visit to Planned Parenthood for birth control. We need to do everything we can to get people medical care, especially in areas of sexual health and family planning.

I can't speak for all House Republicans. But this is not personal. You will find that many of these same House Republicans opposed the Paulson bailout under Bush. So there is no need to make it personal or political.

Right thing = avoiding government interventionism that increases inflation (read: tax), and devalues the dollar.

You are welcome to read up on Keynes, Minsky, Marx, Hayek, Mises, Friedman. Then compare and contrast. And make an actual argument as to why this bill should even be called a stimulus and how it will "work". But it's nice to see you are still an angry and rude in the New Year.
    ^^^

They were complaining about Amtrak because it's been failing for the past 40 some odd years. And many of these same people did not want the airlines bailed out either. The airline industry in America is a joke. It is not competitive or efficient.
    ^^^

Exactly. It's ridiculous that the conservatives don't want to invest in mass transit. That tells me they are more concerned about being in power than in fixing our country, because any idiot knows that we NEED mass transit.

We also need birth control. I'm so sorry that Obama caved so quickly on that one. For some people, the only healthcare they get is their visit to Planned Parenthood for birth control. We need to do everything we can to get people medical care, especially in areas of sexual health and family planning.

It would help if you weren't conflating terms as conservative can apply to more than Republicans on social and economic issues. Sorry to burst your bubble but any politico or political party is mostly concerned about being and staying in power, that is the nature of the game. Hence why we have "checks and balances" and are supposed to have a limited federal government.

No one is denying that people need birth control or quality medical care. But how do condoms for the poor in anyway stimulate the economy? I have a problem with the way bills are festooned with unrelated pork and policy. It was actually smart for Obama to remove it, it is not economic stimulus. And if Democrats want it, they can present again. They have at least 2 years to pass most anything they want.

"Didn't have nothing"? Is that English?

And what is your alternative plan to keep Americans working?

Does that make you feel all swole in the chest? I know nitpicking is your way of dealing with your rage and confusion but if try getting a hobby it will make you feel a whole better about youself.

Now back to the second question, cutting taxes for businesses and consumers to all time low, or just eliminating all types of taxes for everyone across the board. Would create more revenue for businesses to keep people employed and consumers to have more money to invest - buy/spend on all products, goods, services, housing and etc. We need to create that cycle of capitalism this is the way ultimately help saving jobs. It's that simple!

Offensive photo posted by 3CCurly removed per request of guide.

Oh, that's lovely.
    Yeah I have to go with RedCatWves on that last one. That picture and comment was completely uncalled for and in poor taste 3cCurly.:angry3:
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users
    If they really want to save the economy, for starters, they can cut income and business taxes. Everyone is taxed to the hilt. "Oh", some will say, "but if we cut taxes, how will we be able to fund all of our wonderful programs?!" Short answer: we won't. Shorter answer: good!

I'm no economic expert, but common sense tells me that if you let people keep more of their own money they will have more money to spend. If you let employers keep more of their profits they will be able to hire more employees. It's a win-win situation.

They can also start drastically reducing those who are on the dole. You want to have 16 kids out of wedlock? Be my guest, but YOU can pay for it. I don't want to pay for your kids, your kid's food, your kid's housing, or you and your children's health care. Period. You made them, you get to pay for them. I have my own family to take care of, and I don't need to take care of yours, too.

If we get some of these people off the dole, they will start working. They will have no choice. If they start working, they will pay taxes just like the rest of us mere mortals. Then the US will have more tax revenue to work with, which means those of us who are NOT on the dole can stop shouldering all the tax responsibilities.

Sound harsh? Yes. But someday we are going to have to start making people embrace the concept of "personal responsibility". When are we going to stop bailing people out of their self-made problems? When the economy completely crashes and there is no more money left? Is that when we're going to wake up?

Here is a classic example of what I'm talking about: I worked with a very nice women, my age, who made the same exact amount of money I did. The difference? She was a single mother with 3 children (out of wedlock) and I was married with one. She got housing vouchers, free medical and dental insurance, food stamps, and day care vouchers. Who paid for all that? I, the taxpayer, paid for it. Meanwhile I was struggling to get food on the table.

There is a whole lot our government could do to stop what's happening, but they won't do it. It doesn't matter what party is in office. We got a bailout in the Bush Administration. Did it solve the problem? No. Neither will this bailout.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users

Photo removed per mod request

You should be ashamed of yourself.
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
    Are you serious?

Wow your so lame LOL

Do me the pleasure sweetie of reading a book

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGlKL_EpnSp8" class="Popup

Start off with basic principles of Economics

And this, my friends, is what the "ignore user" feature is for. :D

ETA: As well as the above response to RCW. Jeesh. :roll:
    No one is denying that people need birth control or quality medical care. But how do condoms for the poor in anyway stimulate the economy?

Preventing unwanted pregnancies seems a good thing to do when people can least afford more mouths to feed.

This so obvious to me, and yet the above quote is a Republican talking point in this debate.

If anyone has insight on that point, something I'm not getting, I'd be glad to hear it. [Other than from that one poster who just got all ad hominem on me. :usa2:]
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    I'm sure there's pork in the package. That's too bad. There have to be tax cuts and there has to be spending. The way to get it done would have been to Steve Pence (out of Indiana, should have been McCain's running mate but I digress), Nancy Pelosi, and the most moderate house person in a room. No food, no phone, no Web. Tell them that they had 10 hours of oxygen to come up with a plan. No plan - no oxygen.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Yeah I have to go with RedCatWves on that last one. That picture and comment was completely uncalled for and in poor taste 3cCurly.:angry3:

Yes, absolutely offensive. :angry3:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    Myradella3 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's pork in the package. That's too bad. There have to be tax cuts and there has to be spending. The way to get it done would have been to Steve Pence (out of Indiana, should have been McCain's running mate but I digress), Nancy Pelosi, and the most moderate house person in a room. No food, no phone, no Web. Tell them that they had 10 hours of oxygen to come up with a plan. No plan - no oxygen.

That's actually Mike Pence. :usa2:

But, I do like your novel idea. :occasion5:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment