I need help with 4 y/o's hair!

momtocurlygurlmomtocurlygurl Registered Users Posts: 2
My daughter is 4 and I'm guessing her hair type is 2a (I'm new to all this). My hair is straight so I have no clue what to do with her hair. It's very fine, tangles easy and is prone to frizz. I've tried mousses and leave-ins but they weigh her hair down. She also doesn't like much done to her hair. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    My daughter is 4 and I'm guessing her hair type is 2a (I'm new to all this). My hair is straight so I have no clue what to do with her hair. It's very fine, tangles easy and is prone to frizz. I've tried mousses and leave-ins but they weigh her hair down. She also doesn't like much done to her hair. Thanks for any help.

1. is her hair long enough to put in 2 ponytails? if so, i'd shampoo her hair with a mild shampoo and conditioner and detangle with a wide-tooth comb while it is still wet with conditioner. rinse well. part her hair down the middle from the forehead to the nape of her neck. then gently brush her hair into two neat plaited pony tails. use the no-snag elastics. if her hair unravels easily, buy plastic snap barrettes to secure her ends to keep her plaits in place. because you style her hair this way on already detangled hair, this should keep the majority of her hair free from tangles.

2. get a 4-ounce spray bottle that mists. put approximately half an ounce of detangling conditioner in the bottle and fill the rest with water. shake well to blend it. what you'll have is a spray that you can use when you don't feel like washing her hair, but her hair needs detangling and freshening up. there is just enough conditioner to ease the tangles a part, but not enough to weigh down her hair or attract lint. but you can always adjust the amount of conditioner you use if you find that half an ounce is too heavy for her texture.

3. most people don't have success with this, but you can find satin bonnets at beauty supply stores for young children. if you can get her to sleep in one, this may save you lots of tangles and frizz to deal with.

good luck.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    ive recently found a great set of routines for my daughter's hair. i thought she was a 2b/c but once i found the right products ive found that her hair is really closer to 3a/b.

in our home, everyone sleeps on satin pillowcases, even the munchkin. i even have a satin sheet lining her crib because she doesnt stay on her pillow. it helps reduce tangles dramatically as well as keeping her hair soft.

like rainshower mentioned, we use a gentle shampoo bar (burts bees makes a shampoo bar for little ones)once a week. the rest of the week i rinse her hair with water and use conditioner or do a conditioner wash(using the conditioner the same way you would use shampoo). im absoultely loving california baby calming conditioner. you can get it at target and whole foods. it also works as a leave in conditioner too.

i use a kids detangling spray on her in the morning. i think right now we use loreal kids but im going to try kiss my face's detangle spray next.

i was having a hard time trying to find products taht would reduce her frizz without weighing it down and my favorite products for that are either the california baby conditioner as a leave in combined with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]curl keeper[/buylink] or kinky curly knot today conditioner paid with the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]kinky curly curling custard[/buylink].

i have more information and pics on what ive found success with for my daughter on my blog and in my fotki.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file