We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Have appointment at Chicago salon tomorrow-UPDATE :(

PortaePortae Posts: 337Registered Users
Hey guys,
I have an appointment at a new Chicago salon tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes- wish me luck!

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soulsalonspa.net%2F" class="Popup

Comments

• krazykurlskrazykurls Posts: 31Registered Users
    Good luck tomorrow!! Let us know how it goes.
    3c/b
    No 'poo since March 2004
    Vo5/Suave/White Rain - co wash
    DevaCARE OneC, CK, Dove Curl Defining Styling Creme, Biolage Gelee,
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,144Registered Users
    Good luck! Post pics when you can.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

DC metro area
  • mafaldamafalda Posts: 510Registered Users
    Oh, please let us know how it goes. I'm always on the hunt for a great Chicago salon. I think we get the short end of the stick with no Devachan and no Ouidad-like salons. :(
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • solangesolange Posts: 2,539Registered Users
    Good Luck yo You!!!!!

I have my 1st appt. at a Ouidad certified salon this Saturday too!!
    3C, BSL Unstretched -
  • PortaePortae Posts: 337Registered Users
    Do NOT go to this salon! They basically butchered my hair. Well, butchered may be too strong, but I am not pleased at all.

First, my cut is significantly shorter than what I wanted. I brought in a picture from Miss Jessies website (formerly Curve) as the salon had instructed me. My stylist clearly does not understand shrinkage, even though I emphasized this to her several times. She decided to trim some of the pieces framing my face, and before I could say anything, she pulled them down and trimmed them. Well, she trimmed the PULLED STRAIGHT pieces to about eyelength, which means that when my hair bounced back up it hung about 1 inch down my forehead. Now I'm going to have to struggle with gel to get those pieces slicked back into a bun.

After she washed and conditioned my hair, I thought she would use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Miss-Jessies-Curly-Pudding-p-578.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=miss-jessies-curly-pudding]Curly Pudding[/buylink], which the salon had just stocked. Well, you only get that if you pay the $125 for shingling. I asked if they could just put some gel in my wet hair, and the only thing the stylist had was a styling foam. Well, my hair laughed at that. To her credit, the stylist really wanted to make things right so she asked me what gel I normally use and ran to the corner beauty supply to get some. She then re-rinsed my hair and then I proceeded to apply my gel.

I really want to cry right now. I am not happy with the cut- you can see my ears!!!! :( It may grow out into something decent, but I know I have to look forward to months of headbands, updos, etc. until I feel comfortable wearing it out again. I am particularly disappointed because this is a salon that compares itself to Curve, and supposedly specializes in natural hair of all types.
    Wow. I'm so sorry to hear the you had a bad experience there. That really sucks. I want to say that your hair will grow back, that maybe the cut will grow on you, or that it's probably not as bad as you think, but I feel like that would be insensitive right now. There's nothing worse than getting a bad cut.

((HUGS))

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fs211.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fbb133%2Fshyygirl_2007%2F" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fnaturalurbanista.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Ftinyurl.com%2F3yxneol" class="Popup

DC metro area
    Thanks so much, Shygirl! I think that it will look better when I have another inch or two, but that's going to take a while. :( The really sad thing is that I had been in a really bad funk lately, and wanted to do something to make myself feel better. Now I just feel worse. :(
  • =~ohura~==~ohura~= Posts: 255Registered Users
    Sorry to hear that, Portae. We are all our worst critics so maybe it is not as bad looking to the more objective eye. I know that it is important that you really like the style and feel good wearing it but I am just saying that you probably look much better with the new cut than you think.

Put the picture in your album and I'll tell you the truth of whether to invest in hats or not. :wink: j/k and trying to make you smile. It will grow back before you know it. :)
    .jpg
    Do a better job of covering your stinky aliass.
  • CurlilocsCurlilocs Posts: 821Registered Users
    Aw sweetie I'm sorry that you were disappointed. Give it a good two weeks, and I'll bet it will take on another shape and start to look really cute. Hang in there! :wink:
    Free your Mind and your Hair will Follow :)
    Curli's pics
    album pw: bangz
  • atlantisrisingatlantisrising Posts: 263Registered Users
    I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Hopefully it won't be too long before it grows back.
  • spiral-ncspiral-nc Posts: 716Registered Users
    (((( :( ))))) hugs Portae. So sorry that you had a bad experience. But you and your hair are so pretty - a haircut can't change that.
    spirals, kinks, s-shapes and coils.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FSpiral" class="Popup

H is for Henna and Healthy Hair!
    Use only the PURE STUFF
    So sorry to hear about your experience. Why is it so hard to find a decent salon in Chicago?
    "It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done."- Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    that sucks. :( I'm sorry to hear that.

I can't find anyone to cut my hair correctly, either.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    Hey guys,
    I just updated my fotki. I'm trying to make this cut work, so I would love to hear all of your honest opinions and suggestions.
  • spiral-ncspiral-nc Posts: 716Registered Users
    Just checked your Fotki. Like I said - Still pretty!! I know it's shorter than you wanted it, but I think the haircut is flattering, actually. Especially when it's fluffed up.
    spirals, kinks, s-shapes and coils.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FSpiral" class="Popup

H is for Henna and Healthy Hair!
    Use only the PURE STUFF
    spiral-nc wrote:
    Just checked your Fotki. Like I said - Still pretty!! I know it's shorter than you wanted it, but I think the haircut is flattering, actually. Especially when it's fluffed up.

I have to agree with Spiral. It is flattering. You make the cut work. In the first 3 pics, I can see why you were upset though. While the cut isn't bad, she didn't take into account the shrinkage factor. Especially when attempting to do face framing curls.

You and your friend did a good job of re-styling your hair. Looks really good fluffed up.

I have to say that I almost teared up looking at the first 3 pics. I've had bad cuts before, and have cried. I recognized that look on your face and I felt so sad for you. But you definitely look happier in the last 3. I can tell you feel better about your hair.

DC metro area
  • dia99dia99 Posts: 1,998Registered Users
    I'm sorry you don't like it. I think it looks nice on you!
    People rise to the standard expected of them. GC
    But you definitely look happier in the last 3. I can tell you feel better about your hair.

It was the wine. ;)

Seriously though, after we fluffed it up, I drove home, put on a fabulous dress that I bought Monday, slapped on some makeup and earrings, and then tried to make myself feel pretty. I feel better, and I do think that it's flattering, but it's definitely not what I wanted or asked for. Do you really think it works for me?

[img][/img]
  • BiancaBianca Posts: 2,492Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Honestly Portae, it looks really good! I understand it's not what you wanted and it will probably take time getting used to but I think it's cute.

In the third picture my heart was aching for you. You look so unhappy. But in those last four, it looks really good. I like it fluffed up.
    Shampoo: Herbal Essences-NOYF

Conditioner: Herbal Essences NOYF Conditioner mixed w/ Coppola Keratin Complex Conditioner

+ TJ Nourish and Olive oil combo.
  • PauliePaulie Posts: 5Registered Users
    Hi Portae, I am sorry you didn't get the cut you wanted, I just want to let you know that I think you are beautiful, and I love your cut.

Paulie
  • atlantisrisingatlantisrising Posts: 263Registered Users
    I agree with the others, while it is shorter than what you wanted, you still look really good!
  • =~ohura~==~ohura~= Posts: 255Registered Users
    My opinions:

New pics 1-2 are so-so, not very noticeable or eye-catching

New pic 3 is definitely a hideous style

New pics 4-7 are fantastic! That style is very attractive on you. I actually like that style on you better than the older pics in the albums (I looked at the older ones too to get a complete picture). Whatever cutting and touching up you did to get from pic3 to those after was a good move, quite lovely. Could I hire you to cut mine now?

Long story short, I agree with you that #3 was horrible but your modifications spun straw into gold. :wink:
    .jpg
    Do a better job of covering your stinky aliass.
  • knatural31knatural31 Posts: 60Registered Users
    I understand how you feel, you have an idea of what you want and the outcome is completely different. It looks good and healthy, it will grow back, especially since it is the Summer time when hair grows like mad! Take it as a new look for the Summer, possibly get some color or highlights to jazz it up.
    Thanks guys! :)

I'm trying to look at this as a new spring/summer style that was thrust upon me. The one thing that annoys me is that I can't just wash and run out of the house. I have to scrunch and pat it into the shape that you see in the latter pictures.

Ohura, I love your metaphor of "spinning straw into gold." I was on the phone with my mom last night and said, "That stylist is LUCKY that I was able to stumble onto something semi-cute out of the crap she cut on my head." If not, I might recruit a few curlies to do a drive-by on that salon. ;)

I really want to thank all of you for your kind words and support. It has meant more to me than you know.
  • curliejcurliej Posts: 55Registered Users
    I agree with the others. When you spruced it up a bit it does look really really good!! But I can understand your pain. I'm so careful about who I let touch my hair.
    I really think the cut looks great on you. I know it's not what you wanted, but you made it work. :D
  • thirteenlbsthirteenlbs Posts: 205Registered Users
    The cut's adorable! What a fun summer style.

I know that it's not what you wanted, but wow-- I think your cut is incredibly flattering.

O, S, with fine strands
    Cottony
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Posts: 5,398Registered Users
    Ditto what everyone else is saying. With your pretty face, Portae, and some attitude, you make the cut work and look good. Also, it's not so far from the Alana Davis and Halle Berry cuts shown in your other album. Have fun with it!
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • st. louis bluest. louis blue Posts: 404Registered Users
    Portae, I don't think it's bad at all. The floofed up pix look great, and I'm not just talking about your pretty face. The haircut is cute. More importantly, I think it will grow out even cuter!

The thing with the bangs is so, so annoying. One thing that I did when my forehead hairs were problematically short is to pin them down while they dried; press the hair down against your temple and hold it down with a straight pin (after applying your products). Once the hair has dried, I pulled the pins out, and for the most part, those short hairs stayed down. Pinning them down that way helps keep them out of the way so that I didn't keep messing with them (read BREAKAGE) while they grew out.

Hope that helps. I know how painful it is to get a messed up haircut, but you really do look good. We wouldn't lie to you, girl.
  • UCurlGirlUCurlGirl Posts: 97Registered Users
    Portae,

I pm'ed you! :)
    3C, fine corkscrew. Carlos at Devachan devotee. "I don't poo, do you?" No Pooing for a year and a half. Holy grail products include: Kenra Moisturizing Treatment, Nioxin Scalp Therapy,Devacurl No-Poo Ouidad Botanical Boost alternated with Bumble and Bumble Leave-In, Ouidad Deep Treatment, and Biolage Gellee Gel. I HAVE FOUND ALL MY HOLY GRAIL PRODUCTS FOR CONSISTENT, RELIABLE GOOD HAIR DAYS!!!

"Hon, can you make me a scotch on the rocks? And can you make the rocks be my Vicodin?"--Karen from Will and Grace

"You're tacky and I hate you."--Fancypants to Jack Black in "School of Rock"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file