Words your kids say that you don't understand

SpiderSpider Posts: 3,381Registered Users Curl Neophyte
My almost 2 year old keeps saying "bot", but not to anything specific. He just looks at me and says "BOT" and shakes his head like "you understand? bot!"

It's not bottle (which he hasn't had for months) or bath, which he says pretty clearly. I feel bad, but I don't know what a bot is!
Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.

Comments

• shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    "Cowby" We *THINK* it is "Cow Movie" (Barnyard), but not 100% sure.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    My son just turned 2, and he has lots of these! Actually, his pronunciation is getting better and I've learned what he means, so I usually can tell what he's saying. One of our favorites is "ginky" = blankie. Maybe bot = book?
    ehLB.jpg
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    My parents have a home video of me when I'm 2-ish raising my cup, as if to make a toast, and saying "A BIG YEEL!" Then for the next 5 minutes them asking me A big year? No. A big heel? No. Etc etc. I got increasingly frustrated that they didn't understand what a "yeel" was. I think they thought I'd be able to tell them what I meant when I got older and they showed me the video, but I had no clue.

Sol says something that sounds like "go sheen" a lot. We think he's trying to say "got you", like we'll say when we tackle/tickle him.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Chas repeats a phrase over and over when he's reading books to himself. We have no idea what he's saying...for the life of me right now...I can't remember what it even sounds like to attempt to spell it. It will pop into my head later and I'll post.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Xander has a lot of made up words. We know what most of them mean but some are beyond our understanding. Jesse finally caught on that they may not be in English. Here are some of the ones we know.

Mot - chapstick
    Nocum - penis
    Hair tat - hair gel
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I'm glad we aren't the only ones who can't understand what our child is saying. DD speaks in sentences (complete with gestures and inflection). We frequently have no idea what she's trying to tell us, but it's obviously something important to her. :dontknow:
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    I think they thought I'd be able to tell them what I meant when I got older and they showed me the video, but I had no clue.

For some reason, this is just hilarious to me. LOL! :lol:
    3c/4a
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    LoloDSM wrote: »
    I'm glad we aren't the only ones who can't understand what our child is saying. DD speaks in sentences (complete with gestures and inflection). We frequently have no idea what she's trying to tell us, but it's obviously something important to her. :dontknow:

majerle does that!

this morning her and her dad were in the living room while i was in the bedroom and he yelled, "what does 'cheese' mean again?" :laughing6: a few days earlier he had called me at work to ask what it means when she says what sounds like "cheese." for her it either means actual cheese or it meanse that she wants to watch noggin. in both cases, she wanted to watch noggin.
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    My brother would say 'chumpin' instead of 'something' and called my sister Valerie: Bagwee.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    DS says one thing that could mean 3! He says "tay-do' He could be saying 'potato,' 'tomato,' or 'Play Dough' It is perfectly reasonable to be confused, because he LOVES all 3.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When Isaiah does that I say "Right back at you, Darling"
    Yeah, mine calls "Nemo" & "Elmo" both "Melmo".

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Chas repeats a phrase over and over when he's reading books to himself. We have no idea what he's saying...for the life of me right now...I can't remember what it even sounds like to attempt to spell it. It will pop into my head later and I'll post.

Okay, I finally remembered. He repeats...

Smer, Smer...Smer, Smer...

Any ideas? :D
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    Connor has a few words that mean several things. You have to use context clues to figure it out.

"crocka" = cracker or crocodile or ****-a-doodle-doo
    "honey" = honey or hungry
    His words for ball and bar (as in a granola bar) sound alike.

No idea on the "smer" sound! :mrgreen:

ETA: Oh good heavens, the censors just blocked the sound a rooster makes.
    ehLB.jpg
    "Poop" means both "poop" and our dog "Cooper".

• PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users

Okay, I finally remembered. He repeats...

Smer, Smer...Smer, Smer...

Any ideas? :D

Hmmm...

Sometimes when I'm skimming something I read it aloud very quietly, skipping every third word or so. It sounds like "sph, sph, sph." Maybe he's seen/heard you or your husband do something similar.
    3c/4a
    We have an unrecognizabel one now too... "Fuffy". I have no clue. He says it urgently on occasion. It doesn't mean potty...and I don't think he is referring to his lovies "Fe" & "Fefe"

• noelaninoelani Posts: 665Registered Users
    My friends cousin I think he was 2 at the time and he was constantly saying "Se callo" That means "it fell" in Spanish. So I would say back to him, "Que se callo" Which means "what fell". His response back would be "Se callo". And over and over and over and over he would just say "Se callo". And every single time I'd ask him "Que se callo" he would just respond with "se callo". :lol: I don't think I heard him say anything but "se callo" all night long. And the thing is every time he would say it he would look at you with this look of like "duh, you know what I'm talking about" :lol:
    "When you are not afraid to fall, that's when you fly the highest"

"You shouldnt let random people who dont love you , arent there to help you with a flat tire, or there to fix you soup when your tummy hurts dictate your choices in life."
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When S was around 18 months, we moved into this house, which has a pool. Everytime we went swimming, she would babble on about "chinese wall" and doing this weird hand gesture - over and over. We eventually figured out she was saying "shiniest pearl" - like on the Volcano Sisters episode of Backyardigans. She would play on the steps and make this open/close gesture with her hands and say, shiniest pearl! Shiniest pearl! I think she was pretending to be the oyster.
  • KitathenaKitathena Posts: 1,666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mine does this all the time. He'll go into a big spiel sometimes and he seems satisfied with a smile and a nod in response.

A lot of time we'll be out in public and he'll say something to the cashier or something and they'll ask me like I should understand. I just shrug. I don't speak toddler fluently yet.
    00f0fe4a-6e80-4412-94d4-a8bc465cb7ae_zps1be28d8c.jpg?t=1377261778
    My blogs: NewlyNatural.com
    My fotki pw:hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file