What's with coconut?

I see alot of people talking about using coconut milk and oil...what's so good about coconut?
African American-to be more specific, Black Native american, White and Creole.
3b,c and 4a hair

Comments

• curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm going to try some coconut milk. I love using Suave Tropical Coconut conditioner! It gives great slip and it's very moisturizing! I'm thinking that the milk will be even more moisturizing.
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • curlywavybeautycurlywavybeauty Posts: 223Registered Users
    But I mean, like what is so good about it?
    What does it do that makes it such a good mosturizer?
    African American-to be more specific, Black Native american, White and Creole.
    3b,c and 4a hair
  • curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm not sure what about it makes it so moisturizing, but it keeps my hair from looking and feeling dried out on the ends. I guess I also had dry scalp and thought it was dandruff at one time, but since using the coconut conditioner, my dry scalp has cleared up. Some things just naturally attract moisture into your skin and hair, I think. Glycerin is really good for moisturizing, too.
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • CurlyMom73CurlyMom73 Posts: 123Registered Users
    If I remember correctly, and I could be wrong, just about every part of a coconut has oil in it and is packed full of moisturizing amino acids. On top of that, unlike many other oils, coconut oil in it's natural form is actually a solid not a liquid, so it's like a natural lotion for your hair.
    Corkicelli Now! YAY! Now all I have to do is update my avy pic. :)

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."- Albert Einstein
  • mushaboommushaboom Posts: 2Registered Users
    I use the coconut oil as a pre-shampoo mask,it's excellent :wink:
    Somewhere between 2B & 2C...
  • mushaboommushaboom Posts: 2Registered Users
    double post oops :oops:
    Somewhere between 2B & 2C...
  • MegnificentMegnificent Posts: 109Registered Users
    About once a week or so, I finger comb coconut oil into my hair and then twist it into a bun and sleep on it. It washes right out in the morning, but my hair soaks up the moisture at night. It is a lifesaver in this heat! I don't have to deal with humidity, but I would imagine it would be really beneficial in a umid climate as well.
    2a-3a

Fotki: curlymeg

Nature's Gate Awapuhi Volumizing Conditioner
    Graham Webb Making Waves gel
    jojoba or coconut oil as a DT

Hair is pretty great now that it's colder, now I'm focusing on my skin. Sniffle.
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    Ooooh, I need some I think. I was wondering what to look for to use for DTs and that sounds awesome to me. Where do you guys get it? Like in drugstores or do you have to order online?

What's the diff. between coconut and jojoba oil?
    DPTFm5.png
  • MegnificentMegnificent Posts: 109Registered Users
    I get Coconut Oil at the drugstore. It is usually sold in a jar. When it is chilly outside, it may be a white solid but it will melt in your hands immediately. Jojoba oil I get at Whole Foods, so any type of health food store should have it.

The difference is that Coconut Oil is a much more deep treatment, so I only use it once in awhile so it doesn't weigh my hair down. Jojoba Oil is very light. Some people even use it on their face. It is good for a nightly or every other nightly defrizzing treatment.

I hope you find them as fantastic as I have!
    2a-3a

Fotki: curlymeg

Nature's Gate Awapuhi Volumizing Conditioner
    Graham Webb Making Waves gel
    jojoba or coconut oil as a DT

Hair is pretty great now that it's colder, now I'm focusing on my skin. Sniffle.
  • RheannaRheanna Posts: 2,614Registered Users
    Meg, thanks for the information. So coconut oil added to condish for a DT every week or two is how you use it. And jojoba oil - could that be used like to smooth over hair (in place of finishing cream or biosilk) to tame flyaways without being too "weighty"?

That's awesome. I need to get some of both :)
    DPTFm5.png
  • one way streetone way street Posts: 772Registered Users
    i use coconut milk as a DT when I shampoo. I love it! I just saturate my hair with it while its damp and leave it in for 20 min! You can use the canned kind and just put it in the fridge. It leaves my hair soft, sliky, and smooth.
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • yogawavesyogawaves Posts: 368Registered Users
    angiecurls, Is it light enough for a fine haired wavey to use with out too much wieght??? I asked because when I used a coconut oil in my hair it was way too heavy and caused breakage..tia
    yogawaves, formerly known as yogagirl
    angiecurls, Is the coconut milk light enough for a fine haired wavey to use with out too much weight??? I asked because when I used a coconut oil in my hair it was way too heavy and caused breakage..tia
    angiecurls, Is the coconut milk light enough for a fine haired wavey to use with out too much weight??? I asked because when I used a coconut oil in my hair it was way too heavy and caused breakage..tia
  • one way streetone way street Posts: 772Registered Users
    yogagirl wrote:

its a lot lighter than the oil. my hair is thick, so i wouldn't know how it would work on fine hair, try diluting it with water (that's basicly what it is)
    mod. CG 2C-3A/M/iii
    Fotki album and journal updated: 10/01/07
    password: springlet

Currently: Trying to stop straightening so much. Using Elucence conditioner and whatever works for me.
  • lynnc72lynnc72 Posts: 13Registered Users
    Coconut oil has been used on hair in Asia for many years. Here's why:

"Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft."

Read more about it here:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=47766
    Lynn
  • futurehopefuturehope Posts: 40Registered Users
    This might be a stupid question.

But are you saying using Coconut Oil is more of a protein treatment?

I have some of this in my cabinet, but have been afraid to use it because I wasn't sure how to use and how much.

I would love to try it as a deep treatment.

TIA!!
    2B/2C - Fine - II / Modified CG / No Oil Routine
    Color Treated - Shoulder Length, Layered, Poofy & Frizzy
    Certified PJ because I am still looking for something that works!!!!!
    Love CJ Deep Fix & Suave Coconut Condish
  • lynnc72lynnc72 Posts: 13Registered Users
    futurehope wrote:
    But are you saying using Coconut Oil is more of a protein treatment?
    Coconut oil reduces protein loss, helps to prevent future damage. An hour before washing, I just slather on as much as my hair will take. I use CO washing method and it works great when left on for 10 minutes.
    Lynn
  • SmallFrySmallFry Posts: 614Registered Users
    AngieCurls wrote:
    i use coconut milk as a DT when I shampoo. I love it! I just saturate my hair with it while its damp and leave it in for 20 min! You can use the canned kind and just put it in the fridge. It leaves my hair soft, sliky, and smooth.

I have this in a can. I know that you can leave it in the refridgerator but how long is it good for once it has been opened?

I want to use this for a DT but I'm trying to figure out what to do after I put it on. Should I just rinse it out afterwards? or Rinse then condition with conditioner?

Thank you!!
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • futurehopefuturehope Posts: 40Registered Users
    Thank you LynnC72 for the info.

I will do this!!! :D
    2B/2C - Fine - II / Modified CG / No Oil Routine
    Color Treated - Shoulder Length, Layered, Poofy & Frizzy
    Certified PJ because I am still looking for something that works!!!!!
    Love CJ Deep Fix & Suave Coconut Condish
  • teela1978teela1978 Posts: 278Registered Users
    I have this in a can. I know that you can leave it in the refridgerator but how long is it good for once it has been opened?

I want to use this for a DT but I'm trying to figure out what to do after I put it on. Should I just rinse it out afterwards? or Rinse then condition with conditioner?

Thank you!!

I've noticed that I have to shampoo it out or I have greasy hair for about 3 CO's.

Oh, and I wouldn't keep it in the fridge for more than 4 days or so after it's opened. Maybe you can learn some recipies? I usually cook something with coconut milk and then use the rest for a DT.

HTH :)
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    teela1978:

If you left your CO several minutes in your hair the surfactancts would have enough time to dissolve the excess oil. I used the straight oil last week and removed it with Suave Tropical Coconut CO and my fine hair which gets easily overwhelmed was not greasy at all. If you have VO5 Kiwi & Lime that may be an even better alternative for you.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
  • jujucabanajujucabana Posts: 153Registered Users
    i use to run coconut milk in my hair before i went to sleep, but i ran out! it really helped with preventing breakage!
  • echokittenechokitten Posts: 1,751Registered Users
    Further extolling the virtues of coconut milk...
    I transferred mine to a mason jar and so far it has kept in the fridge for about 2 weeks.
    I just tonight used it as a DT for about 10-15 min, and man oh man my hair is soo soft.
    I find that when I keep it in the fridge it is easier to handle and distribute through my hair.
    It is a great super cheap DT, it costs less than $2 a can. It lasts in the fridge for long enough to use it all and it is really easy to rinse out. Not super greasy like coconut oil, or other oils. I also think it works great for fine hair curlies when diluted with water or even a bit of peppermint tea.
    The can I got was organic too for those of us that prefer organic hair care, and it was not very coconutty smelling so it could be scented if you want.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    I really like using coconut oil because it really moisturizes my hair, esp when it's really dry. And it ends up being really soft every time i use it.
    I think you should try it for yourself. You might end up feeling the same way :)
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • sessac81sessac81 Posts: 690Registered Users
    Sorry guys, newbie here still trying to read all the great posts. I gotta bump this so I can finish reading at the office tomorrow. Yeah... I read nc.com at work all day. That's not so bad, right? :angel9: .
    :) Vanessa :)
    CG since 9/2007
    medium texture; slightly porous

Currently loving:
    anything from CJ, KBB Luscious Locks Hair Mask, Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
  • GeminiLeslieGeminiLeslie Posts: 190Registered Users
    I bought a jar of Coconut Oil last school year, and at first I really liked it, but after a while it seemed like it was causing damage to my hair. I also didn't like the way my hair felt when I used it.

But I've been hearing a lot of good things about Coconut Milk so I think I will buy a can today and use it as a deep treatment. I hope I'll have great results!!
    Mostly 4a..crazy hair

Currently using: 100% Aloe Vera Gel :), VO5 Conditioners for Co-Washes, Jojoba and Africa's Best Oils, GV Biolage Conditioning Balm :), Cream of Nature Detangling Shampoo, ACV rinses, Herbal Tea Rinses (rarely), Alba Botanica Leave-in

Goal: healthy hair and longer hair

• curlquestcurlquest Posts: 90Registered Users
    I just picked some up at the store that's for cooking, but when i got home, i realized that the ingredients also included

water, guar gum, polysorbate 60, sodium metabisulphite (for color retention)

could any of these things be bad for my hair? i hope not, because i am impatient to try it :bounce: so i will post results tomorrow
  • curlquestcurlquest Posts: 90Registered Users
    i tried it and nothing bad happened to my hair, it felt a little softer, but no huge improvement. maybe i have to try it a few more times until i see results
  • jujucabanajujucabana Posts: 153Registered Users
    i just used it before i went to the gym. i'll see what my hair is like after i shower.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file