The acne.org regimen - UPDATE help

tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
I started the regimen over the weekend. I am using Dan's 2.5% bp gel, eucerin spf 15 skin renewal lotion and my neutrogena facial cleanser.

My skin is already oily and this regimen makes my skin 3x oilier, most likely because of the lotion.

It's been a few days and I think I'm already giving up the regimen. I hate acne but I can't walk around with my skin being waaay oilier than normal. It feels sooo gross!

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
3b or 3c curls | My Fotki
combo2.gif________________________________________________

event.png

Comments

• briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    Have you used the Eucerin prior to this weekend? For me I dont really like the Eucerin spf lotion...it makes my skin feel real greasy. On the other hand my friend uses it and loves it..says it doesnt make her feel greasy at all.
    .png
  • tgreyztgreyz Posts: 1,627Registered Users
    I've never used eucerin before trying the regimen. I don't use a moisturizer because my skin is oily enough.

event.png
  • SYBSYB Posts: 305Registered Users
    I am on the regimen too! I have been on it for over a month now and I have oily acne-prone skin. I don't use the Eucerin Lotion recommended by Dan because that stuff makes my face greasy too! I only use moisturizer when my face feels dry(which is usually during the winter months). This is my current regimen: I wash my face with Oil of Olay's Sensitve Skin Foaming Wash(either the pump or tube version) and then I take about a pea size of Dan's Gel and apply it to each affected area rubbing it in ever so gently. I use the gel morning and night when I am not wearing any makeup. But, whenever I do wear makeup during the day, I will only apply the gel at night.

So, I guess that using a modified version works better for me-than the full-on version that Dan recommends. I do think that Dan's BP Gel is the most gentlest one that I have used so far!
    "Curls Tester"
    Products in my current regime: Nioxin Scalp Therapy Shampoo, ORS Replenishing Pak, Curls Whipped Cream, Curls Souffle, Curls Spiral Curls Cream, Curls Milkshake, Curls Quenched, BB(Bonner Brothers) Growth Lotion
  • curly_princesscurly_princess Posts: 360Registered Users
    Tgreyz, I'm so sorry you're having problems with the regimen! I do recommend though that you don't give up yet! If your face is getting to greasy, try another moisturizer. I use the Neutrogena one Dan recommends, and I have learned only to use one squirt. And it's possible you don't need a moisturizer... you could try skipping that step and see how your skin handles it. If it doesn't get dried out, all the better because then you don't have to spend money on moisturizers anymore!

Also, which Neutrogena cleanser are you using? Make sure it is extra gentle, otherwise it is possible that it is cleansing your skin of all the good oils, which makes your skin produce even more oil.

Good luck and I hope you can find something that works!
    3a/b, fine hair... with a mind of its own!
    PW- frenchfries

Your hair, it's everywhere. Screaming infidelities, taking its wear.
  • stars629stars629 Posts: 84Registered Users
    tgreyz-- dont give up yet!!

here are things I would do:
    1. Stop using the neutrogena cleanser- switch to Cetaphil Extra Gentle. You may not think this will make a difference- but it totally does. Cetaphil is amazing, it is so gentle, smells great, and works amazing in conjunction with his gel and moisturizer.

2. How much moisturizer are you using? And how much bp gel are you using? Because you should apply the BP, wait a few minutes until your face is 100% dry (at which point your skin should be so dry b/c all the oil should be sucked away by the BP gel, if you're applying enough- apply a TON remember!) and then apply moisturizer as needed. He suggests Eucerin after you've used the regimen for a while- so you may want to start out w/ the Neutrogena Lotion.

Anyways, it takes a few days to get used to. but dont give up! It really works-- whenever I tell people I used to have really bad acne no one believes me b/c my face is so clear and smooth these days. we'll coach you through it :) youve got me and curly princess!
    3a

Faves: Deva One C, Spiral Curls Cream, NECL, Aura Hypoallergenic, Curl Junkie, Jessicurl
    B&A Gel + AG Recoil + CurlKeeper
    It really sucks buying a bunch of products and finding out they don't work. I have a bottle of eucerin lotion and cetaphil normal to oily skin cleanser that I used once and doubt I ever will again. The cetaphil was extremely drying and the eucerin makes my face greasy as previously stated.

I'm also concerned about bleaching my sheets or else I would wear the lotion to bed. Is there a chance it could bleach my eyebrows?

I have heard that the cetaphil extra gentle doesn't cut through grease very well.

Neutrogena rapid clear oil control foaming cleanser, is what I am currently using as a facial cleanser.

event.png
    I haven't had a problem with my eyebrows getting bleaced by the bp gel, and I have really dark eyebrows. I have noticed my pillowcase case lost some coloring - not big obvious bleach patches, just a little lighter, but I haven't had any problems with my sheets. If you're really worried, why not use a white pillowcase and/or sheets?

I love love cetaphil gentle skin! It doesn't remove all my makeup though so I started using witch hazel at night after I wash my face. Like I said before, a gentle cleanser is best for oily-prone skin because harsh cleansers just strip your skin of all the oils, which makes your skin produce even more oil to replace the oil you just washed away.

Again, I'm sorry you're having trouble. Feel free to pm me for moral support! I wish you the best of luck, I really hope you find something that works.

P.S. Hey stars!!!! I keep meaning to pm you, but then I never do... :? Sorry. That's so great that your skin has improved so much!!! Yay!!! Mine is doing great as well, at least acne-wise. I'm still struggling to get rid of red marks and scars, but I'm just happy to not have to worry about breaking out anymore. Yay!
    PW- frenchfries

I've been using the bp off and on for a few days and I can already see a difference. Why don't more people know about this?

I wish I could coat my back with this stuff but I can't go around bleaching all my clothes.

I was going to use a 10% panoxy bar on my back but my pharmacy has to special order it and they're giving me the runaround about it.

event.png
    tgreyz wrote:
    I've been using the bp off and on for a few days and I can already see a difference. Why don't more people know about this?
    YAY!!! :D
    PW- frenchfries

• stars629stars629 Posts: 84Registered Users
    i'm happy you stuck w/ it tgreyz!! it makes a huge difference.

i know curly princess, i've been meaning to PM you too!! i'm so glad to hear your skin is clearing up!! GO ACNE.ORG REGIMEN!! :D
    3a

Faves: Deva One C, Spiral Curls Cream, NECL, Aura Hypoallergenic, Curl Junkie, Jessicurl
    B&A Gel + AG Recoil + CurlKeeper
    I got some breakouts on my cheeck and jawline. I know they mentioned the bp might make things worse before it gets better. Nothing major.

Also my skin is still oily, but also getting dry and flaky if that makes any sense. I'll have to research how much lotion I'm supposed to use.

event.png
    HELP

So I've been on a modified regimen for about a week. It is clearing up my face but I'm getting random dry patches on my cheeks and forehead.

I wear makeup during the day so I don't do the bp. I wear bp at night along with the eucerin moisturizer. Since I'm not going anywhere my face can be as greasy as it likes. The lotion feels a little stingy when I put it on, I wonder if it's the spf that is in the moisturizer or just the moisturizer itself.

How much lotion should i be using? Should I cut back on the bp and that will minimize the patches or add more lotion. I put on about a third of a finger length of bp. And as much moisturizer as I feel necessary.

event.png
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    I just read the info on the site--fascinating. It says the Eucerin lotion is only for experienced BP users. It says not to use Eucerin until you've been on the program for a bit and are ramped up on the BP. The alpha hydroxy acid causes stinging--sometimes severe. The flakiness and dryness is probably just your skin getting used to the BP, unless you're still using the oil control cleanser.

I happen to use the Neutrogena oil-free for sensitive skin lotion. It's not greasy at all and it doesn't cause irritation. Maybe buy some of that then switch back to Eucerin in a couple weeks. Have you checked out the sample aisles in Rite Aid and Target to see if they have smaller sizes of any of the lotions?
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • LucilleLucille Posts: 588Registered Users
    If you have combination skin, you might consider treating the different regions differently. The dry/normal parts like dry/normal skin and the oily parts like oily skin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file