Build-up of dandruff and dry scalp...

Hi, I have a really dry scalp and of course dry, coarse hair. I've been relaxing my hair on and off and I'm trying to go shampoo-less while also transitioning. I've been noticing a build-up of dandruff because I'm not using shampoo. Is this normal?
Also, which conditioners or shampoos would you guys suggest that would get rid of my itchy scalp and dandruff?
Mod CG since Feb 2009
Hair Type: 3a/3b - 2c on back canopy
Clarifying: Deva Curl Low Poo
CO Wash: Deva Curl No Poo, Vo5, Suave Coconut
Conditioners: AOHR, CJCR
Styling: KCKT, KCCC, CK, JCNS, BRHG
Currently experimenting with Pink Boots and CJCCCC.

Comments

• curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    What products are you using? All they are CG?

If so, try a brown sugar scrub for the itchiness. Just add some to your co-wash. You would probably also benefit from something with tea tree oil in it.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • CurlyLocks921CurlyLocks921 Posts: 32Registered Users
    Actually I just started going shampoo-less and I'm using a conditioner that isn't CG. I just ordered some Mop Top conditioner and other hair products. I'm waiting for them to ship. In the meantime..I think I will try something with tea tree oil in it. Thanks!
    Mod CG since Feb 2009
    What products are you using? All they are CG?

If so, try a brown sugar scrub for the itchiness. Just add some to your co-wash. You would probably also benefit from something with tea tree oil in it.
    Hi curlyjenn10...I was just reading your blog and I have to ask what GTTT is? Does it have tea tree oil in it?
    I'm not familiar with all the acronyms.
    Mod CG since Feb 2009
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    Here's a thread with a long list of acronyms

If you're using a conditioner that is not CG (ie: it has silicones) and you are not removing those 'cones with a sodium laurel sulfate shampoo, you will get build up and you'll have a hot mess on your hands.

You should keep shampooing until you have silicone free products/conditioners to use. For now, I'd suggest running to your supermarket and picking up something cheap and effective like a suave naturals conditioner (for cowashing) and a clear gel. That should get you through your transition period.

Using 'cones and not removing them means that you're literally sealing up your hair shaft from the outside, creating a layer of gunk that is inpenetrable to air and moisture. Your hair shaft is literally suffocating. You definitely should not using a non-cg conditioner without removing the cone's using a harsh 'poo. It's just not a good idea. A few more days of shampooing while you procure some CG conditioners and products is better than letting those 'cones build up on you
    That's what I had feared. I knew the cones would build-up since I was not using a CG conditioner but I didn't want to use the harsh shampoo anymore because of what I've recently learned. I guess I will use the shampoo to wash out all the build-up and start fresh. Thanks for the advice.
    Mod CG since Feb 2009
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    GTTTT is Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat. Some people use the shampoo as a low-poo. I'm using the conditioner as a co-wash.

Laura Lee gave you some good advice. I think this is the thread she was trying to link:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=58468
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    GTTTT is Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat. Some people use the shampoo as a low-poo. I'm using the conditioner as a co-wash.

Laura Lee gave you some good advice. I think this is the thread she was trying to link:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=58468

I both low-poo with the shampoo (about once every 10-14 days - just when itchies become more than the co-wash is correcting) and co-wash with the conditioner the rest of the time. It controls even my seborrheic dermatitis - worse than just plain dandruff or dry scalp - better than any medicated shampoo ever did. Be sure and leave either on your scalp for at least a couple of minutes for best results.

I also use AVG right out of the shower for moisturization, definition and frizz control, and when I'm working it thru my hair, I also massage it into my scalp, which probably helps, too.

A weekly ACV rinse also helps, but don't overdo it.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • zcurlygirlzcurlygirl Posts: 217Registered Users
    ACV rinses really work well for me. I use this recipe: http://www.pioneerthinking.com/hairrinse2.html.
    2c/3a/3b
    Co-Wash: TJ's Nourish
    Conditioner: 1/2 TJ's Nourish, 1/2 AO Honeysuckle Rose
    Leave-in: GDLI, CJ Curl Assurance
    Love: Pineappling, FSG and this website!
    CG Since Sept. 5th, 2009!!!:thumbup:

With the help of StruttsWife's E-book:
    Normal Porosity, Fine Texture (who would've thunk!), normal elasticity, and medium density.

PM me if you have suggestions for my hair (i.e. product, etc.), help would be very much appreciated!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file