Carrier recommendations

iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
My little one is over 15 pounds now and getting heavy for me to carry around. She doesn't like to be held facing inward (ie facing my chest). Is there a carrier that is good for heavier babies that allows them to be carried in the front, but facing outward?

I looked at the ergo but I didn't like that my only two options were back carry (can't see her) or front carry facing inward (which she doesn't like). I need something good for a small mama with a big baby!
3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Comments

• mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    hi iris,

you can carry out in a bjorn, but most people find it to be hard on the back when they are bigger.

you can also do an outward facing carry with a wrap, and you can buy a high enough quality wrap that the weight is mitigated (a didymos, etc. - actually i'm selling mine, so if you are interested, pm me).

however, the outward facing carries are supposedly not good for hip development, all the weight being distributed in the crotch area and legs dangling (knees above bum is supposed to be best - the way their legs naturally go when you hold them and carry in arms).

i think you will like a back carry once she is bigger - so an ergo or mei tai, etc. it gets to be less worrying to have them where you can't see.

however, your best bet may be a good, sturdy rebozo to do a hip carry in. when lydia was around little iris' age i started liking the hotsling for a hip carry a lot (hated it for a cradle carry when she was tiny). now that she is almost 20#, i love the woven wool rebozo her grandma sent from guatemala. the fabric has next to no give, so it really supports her weight and i carry her for long beach walks, or to the farmer's market, etc. with no back or shoulder strain whatsoever.

you can get good tips on tying them on the babywearer.com - but if you know any indigenous women who can show you in person, that is the bomb because they have super awesome knots and tricks. there are a few videos on youtube from peru and honduras, etc. too.

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

• KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Out facing front carries are generally not recommended because they're not good for hip development. One of the keys of a good healthy carry is that the baby's knees are higher than the bum--something that is almost impossible if the baby is facing out. You can try a mei tai and cinch the front with a hair tie, leaving the bottom wide so she has to spread her legs and sit in the seat rather than dangle. I personally found this uncomfortable. You could also try a pouch, ring sling, or a short wrap (rebozo) and have her in a kangaroo type pouch facing out. This will only work if she will tolerate having her legs scrunched in front of her. If she likes to have them out, she will likely try to stand up from that carry. Also, these are all one-shoulder carriers, so they do tend to feel heavy after a while. You could also try a long wrap and work on having her facing out. It's not ideal, but if you spread the wrap crosses between her legs well, she shouldn't dangle too badly. This would be my recommendation if you're really set on having her FFO, since you could do two-shoulder carries.

What I think the best thing to try is to have her high up on your back. If you have her high-enough where she can see over your shoulders, she shouldn't be unhappy. You can do a very high back carry with a mei tai or a wrap. This would also be a better solution for you in the long run, just because having a heavy baby on your back is much easier on your body than having them on the front.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    When Sol was that age, we loved the "front carry" with a Hotsling. He could face out (with his legs scrunched up) and it took mere seconds to pop him in and out. But it is a one-shoulder carry and will get heavy after a while. I wonder if you could do something similar with a stretchy wrap, so it would be two-shouldered. I found this on the Moby site:

satu4months_5.jpg
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    I wouldn't recommend a stretchy wrap for a 15 pounder though. That's about the point where you need the support of a woven wrap. You may be able to make the same thing work with a non-stretchy though.

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a friend who does something like that Moby carry Pixie posted. She ties a front wrap cross, but put her baby in facing out with their legs folded/froggied in front.

When we got to that stage, Iris, someone here suggested letting one or both of her arms out of the wrap when I wear her facing in. We do that almost all the time now, except when she's sleeping, and she usually carries a toy or two with her. (The other day I took off the wrap and a couple toys fell out that had gotten lost in the folds. :D) She's learned to turn her head back and forth to see on either side, and sometimes I kind of turn to the side a little so she can see what I'm doing. As long as the wrap is tied snugly, I feel she's still secure.

I do wear her on my hip sometimes now, but I don't like anything one-shouldered for very long. I have yet to get really comfortable with back carries, but we work on them from time to time.
    Kaia wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend a stretchy wrap for a 15 pounder though. That's about the point where you need the support of a woven wrap. You may be able to make the same thing work with a non-stretchy though.

I thought about that. I wonder if it would be difficult to get a baby in/out of a carry like that with a woven wrap.

I also second BEG's rec about going arms-out in a facing-in carry, and turning to the side so Baby can see what's going on.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • iris427iris427 Posts: 6,002Registered Users
    Thanks everyone. I did not know that about it being bad for their hips. I guess I can just do a back carry and get a mirror hehe.

In that case, what kind of back carrier do you all like? I am thinking about the Ergo.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
    iris427 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I did not know that about it being bad for their hips. I guess I can just do a back carry and get a mirror hehe.

In that case, what kind of back carrier do you all like? I am thinking about the Ergo.

I don't think you can do a high back carry with an Ergo or any SSC. I'd recommend a mei tai or woven wrap.

Also, an Ergo will be huge on you. I have a Yamo SSC which I love but they're not easy to get in the states, I got mine on the FSOT at thebabywearer. I've heard the petite Calyx is fabulous for small mamas. And if you want a buckle-tai (like a mei tai that buckles instead of ties, so no structured waist like an SSC) I think the Connecta is good for petites too.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    My first babywearing love were mei tai's, but now I'm almost strictly a wrapper. I love the versatility of wraps, but if you want something easy to learn and with just a few carries, I think a Mei Tai is the way to go. The Ergo will swallow you up I think, and it's really meant to sit on the hips. With a mei tai, you could tie the waist straps above your boobs and get a really high carry that way. If you are willing to put time into learning more carries, I can't gush enough how much I love wrapping! Dylan seems to like it the best too. I think he likes the feeling of being snuggled all around, but all babies are different when it comes to that. He doesn't even like having his arms out, he just scrunches all in the wrap and rests his head on my neck when he's tired.

• DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    if you have a wiggly baby like me they wont like the front carry that pixies post showed.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Lydia wiggles a lot, but she still likes being in the wrap. Sometimes the wrap seems to calm her down a little, and sometimes it feels like I'm wearing an octopus on speed.

I think it took her a little bit to learn she can still look around even though she is facing me, and now that I think about it, it might have helped as she gained more control over her head and neck.
  • DelmaDelma Posts: 1,121Registered Users
    my wiggler is good in the mei tai but he doesn't really like the wrap especially the front carries ,he tries to get out.Maybe I need a stiffer fabric at his weight.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have a wiggler and he likes both the wrap and the mei tai. I haven't been able to get him on my back in the wrap yet, though. Delma - you might need a woven wrap for his size.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file