CurlTalk

Ppl With Wavy Hair Think Its Curly. Am I the only one who's annoyed by this?

BoricuaBoricua Posts: 1Registered Users
I don't know if it's just me but i hate when my friends who have wavy hair or just anyone with wavy hair say "oh i like my hair better curly." Also when the complain the talk about there "curls".

And ppl go up to me and say oh how do you get your hair so wavy?!

"Its curly!"

Comments

• jmwjmw Posts: 130Registered Users
    It hasn't bothered me in my adult life, but when I was a kid my aunt would take my cousin (her daughter) and I places, and when people would say how cute my curls were, my aunt would almost immediately start talking about my cousins ONE FREAKING CURL that was hidden under her otherwise wavy/straight hair. :protest: I was probably 7or 8 years old and I would get so mad about that!!! Like she was always trying to steal the curly spotlight away from me!!!!
    Hair Type: 3a/3b
  • lily44lily44 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Boricua wrote: »
    I don't know if it's just me but i hate when my friends who have wavy hair or just anyone with wavy hair say "oh i like my hair better curly." Also when the complain the talk about there "curls".

"Its curly!"
    It's just you...curly or wavy, why do you care what others say about their own hair; we aren't the ultimate curly judges after all! :banghead:

Look at it this way, maybe in an off-handed way they actually aspire to have the hair they crave by comparing their waves to your curls, hmm!? Consider it a compliment not a threat to your curliness!

Lighten up already....too much stress is bad for the skin (and hair!)
    :toothy4:
    HairType: 3B Coarse hair w/pale blonde highlights--I'm transitioning the gray into my hair over the next year.
    :clock:
    Cleansers: Deva Blonde
    Cond: Deva Blonde; 2x/wk Loreal Artec White Violet shampoo & cond.
    Gel: Curlisto Structura Lotion & Control II Gel, finish with Phytodefrisant Botanical Hair Relaxing Balm when dry
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    Well I guess I should be really specific at all times, like the first inch or two of my hair at the roots is straight, then a good portion of the length is wavy, and the ends will curl...

Should people with kinky hair also refrain from calling their hair curly?

I'm not trying to be (too) snarky, but 'curly' is kind of an all purpose word sometimes when talking about hair that isn't straight. It doesn't put anyone down or anything.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.public.fotki.com%2FTillyErnissee" class="Popup
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    The only time I get annoyed, is when someone says they are something they are not when classifying their "curls" stating they are curlier then their pics show. I just don't get why they do that? Just embrace what you have no need to say you're a 3 when you're clearly a 2!

I'm a wavy and I usually refer to my hair as such. Sometimes I'll say I get better "curl" from this or that product but it's just an expression. No reason to get uptight about it really.
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • CandycaneCandycane Posts: 291Registered Users
    One of the girls at my job did a braid out and her hair went from being pin straight to crimped like waves---she kept tellin people that her hair was curly for the day lol--i just let her b happy for the moment n kept my mouth shut---although i was sayin wtf? in my mind
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    This post really intrigued me.. I've never really thought about it; I know what curly hair looks like and what wavy hair looks like, but I'd never really put that much thought into it and that by using the words interchangeably would be at all offensive.

After doing some research (was intrigued on what the definition of curl was), I'd have to agree with tillymunchywaves...
    I'm not trying to be (too) snarky, but 'curly' is kind of an all purpose word sometimes when talking about hair that isn't straight. It doesn't put anyone down or anything.

all the definitions of curly I found said something like this..
    "curly
    adj. having curls, wavy (of hair); having a wavy grain (of wood)"

which could be where the confusion starts...

I also think that classes ones hair is a rather complicated as we are all so different, and our wave/curl patterns are unique.

I'd also have to agree with Del2c in terms of describing my hair.. i wouldn't say my hair has better waves.. I'd say it's "curling" more, it just makes more sense to me...?

DEL2C wrote: »
    I'm a wavy and I usually refer to my hair as such. Sometimes I'll say I get better "curl" fromthis or that product but it's just an expression. No reason to get uptight about it really.

I guess it will be interesting to see what others have to say about this, and whether this is a common occurrence.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlywurlygurly%2F" class="Popup
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • KinkyKeeperKinkyKeeper Posts: 963Registered Users
    Well to me wavy is actually any S pattern at all and curls are ringlets and Os. Like Shirley Temple. So actually IMHO there are type 4s that are "wavies" (like my hair is actually just really little S shaped waves) and type 3s who I wouldn't call "curlies". And that's how I see it. One of the benefits of going natural and accepting my natural kinky texture is not having to be envious of anyone else's texture.

The whole kinky curly wavy thing is confusing. People are still trying to put their hair into a box they wish it belonged to becuase of this confusion. Not gonna point any fingers but there are still people with clear lovely kinks 4B straight up who are gonna insist they have some 3C hair. There are gonna be people who you might think are wavy who want to be called curly. There are people who think any texture whatsoever is "kinky" or "curly". Eh.
  • SpiderSpider Posts: 3,380Registered Users
    My hair is wavy (with the stray curl or two underneath), and it's easier to wear straight, but I still consider myself a "curly girl" :pirate:
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
    all the definitions of curly I found said something like this..
    "curly
    adj. having curls, wavy (of hair); having a wavy grain (of wood)"
    Well that certainly sums it up!! We're ALL WAVY :laughing6: so really the 2 are interchangeable simple as that!!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • lazykerrilazykerri Posts: 650Registered Users
    People are still trying to put their hair into a box they wish it belonged to becuase of this confusion.

:laughing3: Hair in a box? Nice imagery ;)

What is a curl?
    A curl is a ringlet, springlet or wave
    a curl is wary, scary and brave
    A curl is proud, a curl is flowing
    A curl is thriving and always growing

This silly poem written for you by lazykerri.
    :cat:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Always naturally lazy and curly! ~

Photo album password: curly
    Blog: lazykerri.wordpress.com
    Curl Type: 3a Fii
    Current Favorites:
    • Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner
    • Jessicurl Confident Coils
    • Rockin Ringlets, and
    • Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    Shoot. I won't lie. it bugs me. I don't tell them. Let them think their waves are the same as curls. Whatever.

then again, I only started to think that when my best friend (who loves all curls of all kinds) compared my curls to a girl-I-can't-stand's waves. I argued the point then, and can't stop ever since.

I'm not sure I cared ever before.

hmmm... I may need to re-evaluate the basis behind my feels about this....
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • Koukla72Koukla72 Posts: 1,680Registered Users
    Well to me wavy is actually any S pattern at all and curls are ringlets and Os. Like Shirley Temple. So actually IMHO there are type 4s that are "wavies" (like my hair is actually just really little S shaped waves) and type 3s who I wouldn't call "curlies". And that's how I see it. One of the benefits of going natural and accepting my natural kinky texture is not having to be envious of anyone else's texture.

The whole kinky curly wavy thing is confusing. People are still trying to put their hair into a box they wish it belonged to becuase of this confusion. Not gonna point any fingers but there are still people with clear lovely kinks 4B straight up who are gonna insist they have some 3C hair. There are gonna be people who you might think are wavy who want to be called curly. There are people who think any texture whatsoever is "kinky" or "curly". Eh.

00000697.gif And I'd like to add on to the bolded that one of the benefits of confident and serene self acceptance is also not feeling the need to bash or belittle other people's curl patterns in comparison to one's own, whatever those patterns may be - straight, wavy, loopy or kinky. When I see or hear someone doing that it seems pretty obvious they're only revealing the pathetic little insecurities their arrogance must be based in.

I'm just sayin'. Since we're being honest, and all. 8)
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    Koukla72 wrote: »

00000697.gif And I'd like to add on to the bolded that one of the benefits of confident and serene self acceptance is also not feeling the need to bash or belittle other people's curl patterns in comparison to one's own, whatever those patterns may be - straight, wavy, loopy or kinky. When I see or hear someone doing that it seems pretty obvious they're only revealing the pathetic little insecurities their arrogance must be based in.

I'm just sayin'. Since we're being honest, and all. 8)

OUCH!

Since I was the one that wasn't going to lie and your being honest, i figure you mean me.

You are right. I already said that. But thank you for pointing out my pathetic little insecurities more than I did. I only got an issue about it after someone very important to me made a comparison between myself and someone I don't care for (and who didn't have hair like me at all). Before that, I didn't think twice about it. So it IS my insecurity. I dunno about arrogance (on a personal level), so maybe you meant the larger group of people who bother to think about this.

Personally I never considered it an arrogant thought to have an opinion on what a curl is versus what a wave is, unless you (the general 'you') weren't really comparing the two and comparing someone elses hair to your own. That is arrogant (if you think yours is better of course).

eta: I hope that i'm reading too far into this. Either way: I agree with you. A curl is anything other than straight. I can give opinions all day as to what I think, but at the end of the day, a curl is anything that isn't straight. Anything more that I say is just my personal opinions and views.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    Most of the time, it doesn't annoy me. I think what annoys me (and it's clearly my issue, I know) is when someone who has mostly straight hair (and it's occasionally wavy looking on the ends because they didn't flat-iron it that day) talks about having curly hair and they think they can relate to problems that curly haired people have. I know someone like this. She's 90 percent straight with a little wave on the bottom of her hair...she talks about having frizz issues and how her hair is sooooo dry. I feel like saying "Girl, you don't know the half of it."
    I'm aware she might have hair issues as well, but she seems to exaggerate her issues. Her hair isn't dry...there isn't much frizz to it when she forgets to flat-iron...but, of course, I'm comparing her hair to mine. In her mind, it's oh so frizzy. Ack!!!
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users
    I think "curly" is kind of a more generic term. Out there in the regular world (where people don't have complex classification systems for their hair type), people will use the word curly pretty loosely.

KinkyKeeper is also onto something with her comments about the shape of curls/waves. I consider myself a wavy, but I'm not sure I have a single s-curve on my head. They're spirals -- just very, very loose and stretched out spirals. And yes, I describe them as curls at times -- even though they may not "technically" qualify.

It's another problem with the hairtyping systems we have, and with semantics. But I think it's unlikely that anybody using those terms is trying to steal anybody's anything.

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • VerityVerity Posts: 616Registered Users
    I think "curly" is kind of a more generic term. Out there in the regular world (where people don't have complex classification systems for their hair type), people will use the word curly pretty loosely.

I use the word "curly" for any hair that isn't board-straight (or straightened). I have never understood or been motivated to learn the hair typing system on this board.
  • j-jill. j-jill. Posts: 147Registered Users
    It doesn't bother me.
    To me, "Curly" defines all of those different sorts of textures that don't accompany straight hair, and when I say curly I somewhat mean Wavy too.
    But what does get on my nerves, is that some people with straight hair claim they have wavy hair because they took a shower and slept on it, which resulted in a little bit of a wave.
    Hair Type: 2b/2c (:

• A teN jaDe neWtA teN jaDe neWt Posts: 7Registered Users
    I don't care about wavy vs. curly because honestly I have curls on my head that are 2b wavy and curls that are 3c curly. But what does bother me is when people with straight hair put a whole bottle of gel in their hair and scrunch until they can't scrunch anymore then claim they have curly hair.
    ~Jeanette

My curls are a fun mess of 3A/3B!

Currently using:
    * AOHR-shampoo and conditioner
    * FOTE AVG
    * HFSG (plus magsulfate)

• MintMint Posts: 1,143Registered Users
    I think that for simplicity's sake the full definition of "curly" should include all hair types that aren't straight. Like in Curly Girl, the subtypes of wavy, botticelli and kinky are covered. :happy5:
    2a/M-C/ii hair. Super long.
    People call me curly all the time :) it's only on this site that we differentiate between Curly and Wavy
    Discovered CG 2007

• curlycaramelcurlycaramel Posts: 472Registered Users
    I admit it does bother me at times, mainly when someone with almost straight hair complains about their " unruly really curly hair" or compares their hair to mine and I'm thinking to myself ' you have no idea'

What bothers me more is in magazines when they talk about Curly hair and you see a picture of some actress or singer who has straight hair that has been curled using an iron, so it has loose waves and they bang on about how lovely their curly hair is but you hardly ever see pictures of someone with real curly hair (I'm talking 3b and above)
    Long thick curls, mix of 3b/3c
  • curlybrunette5curlybrunette5 Posts: 264Registered Users
    Ahh! I thought it was only me! I have ringlet-y hair...3a, 3b and a bit of 3c underneathe. A friend of mine has BEAUTIFUL 2a wavy hair. She has that type of hair that you can do anything with: it holds a curl beautifully, you can flat iron it stick straight in a minute and it stays, it never gets dry or puffy, etc. She used to always argue with me and tell me her hair was so curly and frizzy and I had nothing to complain about. It used to frusterate me so much! She did not know the meaning of "frizz!" Magazines drive me nuts to when they have "curly" hair advice (which, do you notice is always the same?) but show a picture of a straight-haired actress with hair that's clearly been curled by a curling iron.
    lazykerri wrote: »
    People are still trying to put their hair into a box they wish it belonged to becuase of this confusion.

What is a curl?

That is too cute!
    3a on top and sides/3b underneath...lots of hair

My HG: Sabino Lok & Blok
  • mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    I don't know why on earth this would make someone that angry...lol. Especially because so many of us with 2C-3A hair have waves and ringlets and such of varying tightness, it's not like there's a clear cut difference between Wavies and Curlies. People refer to my hair as curly all the time, even on its flatter, looser days where there is considerably less ringlet action, and my hair has its "wavier" days and its "curlier" days.

I agree that there's a huge difference between, say, 3C hair and 2A hair in terms of hair care, but there's a lot of overlap of types and it's a little ridiculous to insist on DEFINITE DISTINCTIONS.

What DOES bother me is when someone has fake curls in their hair and calls it "curly hair" (you find this a lot in fashion magazines and whatnot, esp when looking for updos) or if someone thinks that having a few ends flipping or one loose wave in the back (think 1B or 1C hair) is really obnoxious and "too wavy" or whatever and they complain about having to straighten it out. Just....no.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • Freefallin525Freefallin525 Posts: 2Registered Users
    I admit it does bother me at times, mainly when someone with almost straight hair complains about their " unruly really curly hair" or compares their hair to mine and I'm thinking to myself ' you have no idea'

What bothers me more is in magazines when they talk about Curly hair and you see a picture of some actress or singer who has straight hair that has been curled using an iron, so it has loose waves and they bang on about how lovely their curly hair is but you hardly ever see pictures of someone with real curly hair (I'm talking 3b and above)

YES. Biggest pet peeve of my life. I know I shouldn't be so bothered by it, but everytime I read a magazine and they have hairstyles for "curly" hair, I get so aggravated when it's a picture of a celeb with obviously CURLED hair. And I feel the need to point it out to anyone who happens to be around meat the time. My friends are pretty tired of hearing it, I think. :)
    **No day but TODAY**

~3bc, just past shoulder length~
  • dmiller311dmiller311 Posts: 122Registered Users
    Boricua wrote: »

"Its curly!"

I must agree. It does annoy me a bit. I guess it's a black and white thing. They don't see the gray area.
    3c with some 3b in there
    Current Faves:
    Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave In
    Kinky-Curly Curling Custard
    HE none of your frizzies
    Fantasia Hair Polisher Styling Gel
    Diez en Uno Super Conditioner

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.crownnglory.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

comic-p.jpg

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    You know, it varies for me. In one sense, I consider anyone from 2a to 4b to be in the curly family.

But, it does feel weird, mostly IRL, to hear a 2a or 2b complain about having very curly hair or unruly curls because when compared to me, their hair is more wavy.

But the reverse holds true as well. I'd feel weird complaining about how curly my hair is to a type 4, when she'd probably be wondering why someone with a relatively loose curl pattern (compared to her) would be complaining about tight curls.

The only time it bothers me here is when someone asks for typing help, and they refuse to believe the 15 posters who told them one type, insisting that it is really something else.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • Hakim NuraldinHakim Nuraldin Posts: 1,467Registered Users
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm so caught up in my own hair, that I never think/worry about anyone else's.
  • lazykerrilazykerri Posts: 650Registered Users
    lazykerri wrote: »

What is a curl?

That is too cute!

Thanks curlybrunette! I was beginning to think no one read it ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Always naturally lazy and curly! ~

Photo album password: curly
    Blog: lazykerri.wordpress.com
    Curl Type: 3a Fii
    Current Favorites:
    • Jessicurl Too Shea Conditioner
    • Jessicurl Confident Coils
    • Rockin Ringlets, and
    • Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
  • kema1vkema1v Posts: 107Registered Users
    I'm a wavy, i'm happy to be a wavy and I will try harder not to use the curl word to describe my hair if it bothers people.

But what I don't like seeing in this thread is curlies who don't seem to think wavies have a right to complain about their hair! :protest:

I have hair problems too - it's frizzy, it's dull, it always looks messy, the ends are damaged and I can never get 2nd day hair. I want to moan about my hair too! :crybaby:
    Hair type: 2c-M-ii with extra frizz
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    kema1v wrote: »
    I'm a wavy, i'm happy to be a wavy and I will try harder not to use the curl word to describe my hair if it bothers people.

But what I don't like seeing in this thread is curlies who don't seem to think wavies have a right to complain about their hair! :protest:

I have hair problems too - it's frizzy, it's dull, it always looks messy, the ends are damaged and I can never get 2nd day hair. I want to moan about my hair too! :crybaby:

For me, it's not much an issue here when someone has issues, no matter what type. There's more of a family thing here for me.

I do notice it much more IRL when someone less curly than I am complains about being "too curly." I just have to wonder what they are thinking.:cheese:
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
This discussion has been closed.