CurlTalk

Spill the beans! Tell me how you use Lustrasilk

I caved and bought the Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus. It's one of the few new-to-me things I can actually test!

I'm thinking of playing with it as a curl cream. Ladies, tell me what you do with it!
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Comments

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    Oh how FUN!! A whole thread about Lustrasilk?? Imagine the possibilities! So far I've used it as a Leave In. BUT, I really like it on Dry hair and as a finisher so to spesak and to give my hair a little extra BOOST.

I know some have used it as a DT and mixed all kinds of yummy things into it like Olive Oil and Coconut. Let's hope we get some more replies!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    I'm going to my local Sally's today and pick up some Lustrasilk. My poor hair has been so dry lately with all this cold weather. It's starting to lose some curl. :sad6:

Hopefully, Sally's will have the shea butter or olive oil variety and I will report back in a few days with my results.

Thanks ladies! :blob5:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LouisianaLeighLouisianaLeigh Posts: 211Registered Users
    i picked up some of the olive oil yesterday when i hit sally's for the GVP version of nexxus aloe rid for hard water build-up. i am planning to use it as a leave-in, which kind of doubles as a curl cream because when my hair is properly moisturizes it curls more. will report back with findings when i've had a chance to use it. so probably later today :)
    wurly, fine to medium, currently growing for waist-length
    embracing the waves since 10/20/08
    my hair loves protein and hates jojoba oil, my scalp hates propylene glycol, my face hates silicones.
  • ResRes Posts: 2,911Registered Users
    I just used it for the first time today. But I've used the Shea Butter before.

Well, I woke up for school but I felt really sick so my mom let me stay home so I was going to go back to bed but first I put some Lsilk Olive Oil on my dry hair and it works pretty well at taming frizzies and just bringing the curl back. That worked as a little DT for about four hours while I slept.

Then when I did a real wash I used it as a leave in.
    3A/B - low-normal porosity - med to coarse texture

Shampoo - GTTTT
    Co-Wash - As I Am Coconut Cowash
    RO - GVP Cond. Balm, Tresemme Naturals, Yes to Carrots Nourishing, AO Honeysuckle Rose
    LI - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cream Headdress
    DT - Hollywood Beauty Olive Cholestrol, SM Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment
    Stylers - BRHG (old formula is my HG, but the new one has silicones)

Trying out - MGA Sculpting Gel, LA Sports Gel, Got2b Spiked Gel, Got2b Glued
  • Laura LeeLaura Lee Posts: 1,828Registered Users
    Residual wrote: »
    I just used it for the first time today. But I've used the Shea Butter before.

Well, I woke up for school but I felt really sick so my mom let me stay home so I was going to go back to bed but first I put some Lsilk Olive Oil on my dry hair and it works pretty well at taming frizzies and just bringing the curl back. That worked as a little DT for about four hours while I slept.

Then when I did a real wash I used it as a leave in.

That's dedication right there. Sick and likely tired and she goes straight for the DT! :laughing5: I love it!
    Okay, just got back from Sally's and ended up buying a tub of both the Olive Oil and the Shea Butter. The only thing that concerns me is the wheat germ oil. My hair does not care for wheat anything!

RCC - I think you do not like protein either, am I correct? Before I slather some on my hair, what do you think???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    misspam wrote: »
    Okay, just got back from Sally's and ended up buying a tub of both the Olive Oil and the Shea Butter. The only thing that concerns me is the wheat germ oil. My hair does not care for wheat anything!

RCC - I think you do not like protein either, am I correct? Before I slather some on my hair, what do you think???

I didn't do anything with my hair yesterday, and won't be doing it today for a few more hours, so I can't tell ya yet. It's protein free at least, which is part of why I bought it.

• AprilnUtahAprilnUtah Posts: 519Registered Users

misspam - wheat germ oil does not have protein in it, it isn't the same thing, so you should be ok.

experts - Is there any difference between the Olive Oil and the Shea Butter tubs as far as performance goes?
    April
    3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

I didn't do anything with my hair yesterday, and won't be doing it today for a few more hours, so I can't tell ya yet. It's protein free at least, which is part of why I bought it.

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I am willing to play the guinea pig for the both of us!!! :laughing5:

It's been a long while since I have touched wheat germ oil, but my hair is so dry right now, I am willing to give it a shot if it can impart some moisture into my sad and dry curls. LOL

I'm hopping into the shower and will report back later this afternoon when my hair is mostly dry.

And thanks again - you're the best! :color:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Miss Spam if you want to play it SAFE try the Olive Oil one 1st! That one doesn't have wheat germ oil, my hair doesn't like wheat either so I am curious how the SHEA one will fare......DO KEEP us posted!!!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    AprilnUtah wrote: »

misspam - wheat germ oil does not have protein in it, it isn't the same thing, so you should be ok.

experts - Is there any difference between the Olive Oil and the Shea Butter tubs as far as performance goes?

Thanks April! You know, I used to use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Condish when I first went cg. When I started noticing bad reactions to wheat protein and hydrolyzed wheat protein I just figured wheat germ oil was related and cut out all products containing wheat anything. Now I'm starting to wonder....

I remember a thread quite a while back, I think Riotcrrl and RCC were involved in, where there was much discussion whether wheat germ oil did contain protein. If I remember correctly, there seemed to be conflicting opinions and data.

I did not have time to do a DT at 2:00 in the afternoon, so I cowashed with Suave and raked through some of the Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol as a leave-in/curl creme. I plopped for about 10 minutes and scrunched in a small amount of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]. After diffusing for about 10 minutes, I must say, my curls are back and closer to the roots than it has been in a few weeks.

My hair won't be totally dry until later this evening, so I can't tell whether or not it is soft and properly moisturized. No obvious disaster so far! lol :toothy5: I will report back later this evening or tomorrow morning.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nappy_curly_crownNappy_curly_crown Posts: 4,162Registered Users
    I use it as a DT mixed with varying amounts of the following items

honey
    melted shea butter
    coconut milk
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    grapeseed oil

Apply to hair, under plastic cap overnight...or under a heat cap for 30-45 min. Leaves my hair soft and moisturized.
    Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!

12459237.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    DEL2C wrote: »
    Miss Spam if you want to play it SAFE try the Olive Oil one 1st! That one doesn't have wheat germ oil, my hair doesn't like wheat either so I am curious how the SHEA one will fare......DO KEEP us posted!!!

Hey Del! :wave:

I just read the Olive Oil ingredients and it contains wheat germ oil as well. Read my post above to April - I tried the Shea Butter one this afternoon and so far so good.

It has been a pain in the arse trying to find rich, moisturizing conditioners that do not contain wheat of any kind, but I may have to reconsider the wheat germ oil. :error:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

honey
    melted shea butter
    coconut milk
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    grapeseed oil

Apply to hair, under plastic cap overnight...or under a heat cap for 30-45 min. Leaves my hair soft and moisturized.

oooohhh! That sounds good enough to eat. Bonus if it also makes your hair soft. :laughing5:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    HI! :wave:

Well I'll be! I just looked at my tub for the 10th time and there it is way down the bottom! I haven't noticed any ill effects. Jus the opposite actually my hair seems to love this stuff. SO maybe Wheat Germ Oil is perfectly OK! I know when I use Wheat Protein by the 2nd time I try it again 2 days in a row I get that horrid dry scratchy feel on my hair. Not with this though, hmmmmm..........
    Discovered CG 2007

oooohhh! That sounds good enough to eat. Bonus if it also makes your hair soft. :laughing5: __________________

I actually DID eat my coconut milk DT the other day by accident! I was making coconut pudding with the rest of the milk and took the wrong spoon and stuffed it in my mouth! It didn't taste that bad either :laughing7:
    Discovered CG 2007

honey
    melted shea butter
    coconut milk
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    grapeseed oil

That sounds pretty good

Misspam (like pam, not spam ;) )

Yeah, there was some conflict on whether or not wheat germ oil had protein.

I do stand by my thought that any pure oil is 100% fat, thus protein free.

But, coconout oil helps with protein retention, so some people have problems with it. I can't use coconout oil alone, but can handle it in some amounts if it's mixed with other stuff. Maybe wheat germ oil does the same thing, maybe not. I've not read much. Coconut milk does contain some protein.

It doesn't help that some "organic" and "natural" sites that sell wheat germ oil talk about how their wheat germ oil contains proteins and amino acids. That is hogwash IMO. If it's 100% oil, it's 100% fat and 0% protein. If there is protein in your oil, it wasn't processed properly. But, hey, it's just my NSHO.

That being said, I've used the AOHR for some time with no issue. AOHR does have jojoba oil, which is really a wax and not an oil, and it does have protein. I can't handle jojoba alone, but I like it in the AOHR. Everything else in there overpowers the protein in the jojoba for me.

• mochalatta408mochalatta408 Posts: 214Registered Users
    I love Lustrasilk shea and mango! I use this exclusively as a DT in the same way that Nappy_curly_crown does. Overnight, or for 15-20 minutes with or without heat cap. I use the same mix ins she does (except for the shea). For less than 3 bucks for a 16oz jar I recomend it!

honey
    melted shea butter
    coconut milk
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    grapeseed oil

3c/4a, thick cottony/silky little spiral curls. Loves moisture, hates cones...www.beijaflornaturals.com
  • bak2wavybak2wavy Posts: 69Registered Users
    Just purchased the Lustrasilk Olive Oil yesterday. Tried it this morning on dry hair and my waves had nice big clumps. I spritzed a little of my refresher spray and a nickel size dab of Mop Top gel over my hair. Now it's 2:30 pm and my top is straightening out as it tends to do toward the end of the day. My waves are all at the bottom. Wish I could find something to keep my roots lifted all day. I'm going to try it tomorrow as a leave-in.
    I'm still reading and re-reading threads to decide on what other products I want to purchase & try. I'm so indecisive :confused: . Once I nail that down I'd love to experiment more with the Lustrasilk OOC & the new stuff I get.

2 B/C Coarse Normal to High Porosity

Low Poo/Condish: CJ Daily Fix, CJ CR, CJ CA Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, CJ CA Smoothing Lotion
    Styling: HESMU, BRHG, CJ CCCC-lite, CJ CIAB, CJ AFL, Ecostyler Krystal
    OK, I'm using it and wet headed as we speak. It did blend in nicely in my hair, and one 50 cent piece blob took care of all of my hair, which is saying something.

• BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    My hair has been really dry lately, even with less shampooing. I think I might need to buy a DT. Is Lustrasilk a DT? Is that how it's marketed? Tell me more about this thing you call Lustrasilk. :)
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    My hair has been really dry lately, even with less shampooing. I think I might need to buy a DT. Is Lustrasilk a DT? Is that how it's marketed? Tell me more about this thing you call Lustrasilk. :)

On it's own, AOHR feels more like a DT than this does, but the way NCC mixes it, it would make a fab DT.

It seemed moisturizing, yet light and creamy. I used it as a leave-in today to see what it would do.

Do you dilute it or do you put it all in your hair (as a leave-in)? Also, is it marketed as a DT? or how is it marketed? Just curious.

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.

3a/3b
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    Do you dilute it or do you put it all in your hair (as a leave-in)? Also, is it marketed as a DT? or how is it marketed? Just curious.

I slapped it in just like I would with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]Knot Today[/buylink].

It's marketed as a cholesterol conditioner according to Sally's system.

It's not thick at all to me.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sallybeauty.com%2FShea-Butter-Cholesterol%2FSBS-119070%2Cdefault%2Cpd.html" class="Popup

Hmmm, maybe I will go get some this weekend, esp if my hair still feels dry.

3a/3b
    HA! Take that 12 degree dew point! I thumb nose at you. This Lustrasilk gave me autumn curls. PFFFFT!

This stuff is the $hit. Srsly.

I had my doubts while my hair was drying, as it looked sort of stringy and frizzy. But, totally dry, I have my normal curl formation, with a few low dew point flyaways. After my hair was dry, I scrunched in two dime sized amount to go after those. Oh, and I have volume, and I air dried! WTH.

Must. Take. Pictures.

I'm going out for a bit, but will try to post one late tonight.

The DT I did Saturday probably didn't hurt, but dayum, if this Lustrasilk works like this all of the time, I'll buy it every winter.

I'm with you rcc!

I just got done diffusing the rest of the way. WOW!!! My ringlets are back and I have nice volume. It feels nicely moisturized, yet not heavy or product-y at all.

This stuff is a keeper for the cold dry days of winter and hopefully I can use it in the humid summer as well.

Thanks again for starting this thread and saving my curls.

I owe you one! :blob5:

btw - thanks for the "pam not spam". :wink:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users
    I caved and bought the Shea Butter Cholesterol Plus. It's one of the few new-to-me things I can actually test!

I'm thinking of playing with it as a curl cream. Ladies, tell me what you do with it!

Whats the difference between the Plus and the not Plus? I am sure it's ingredients but can someone do a compare?
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
    OK, quick comparison post before I leave.

Here is a pic of January hair (under the July hair)

And now...

331qhpf.jpg