some questions about the CG method and lingo

I just switched to CG a few days ago. I now use Esencia by Samy Shampoo and Conditioner (it's not online but if you haven't heard of it, it says it's sulfate-free, vegan, etc). I use Garnier Fructis Curl Shaping Spray (no cones- at least I think).

My questions:
First of all, does my current routine sound okay? Also,
I don't understand what a co-wash is. Why would you wash your hair with conditioner when you can just use sulfate-free shampoo? Do you use sulfate-free shampoo, and co-wash, and condition? What's the difference between a co-wash and "normal" conditioner? What is the occasional more intense wash to clarify and make sure there's no build-up?

Thanks guys! :)
mostly 3a. a little 2c and 3b.
fine/thin, but lots of it.

Comments

• CurlGirl27CurlGirl27 Posts: 23Registered Users
    I don't understand what a co-wash is. Why would you wash your hair with conditioner when you can just use sulfate-free shampoo? Do you use sulfate-free shampoo, and co-wash, and condition? What's the difference between a co-wash and "normal" conditioner?

I am just bumping this up because I am new to all of this too and the whole co-wash, condition things has me confused too.
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Co-wash is washing your scalp. In your CG routine, a co-wash takes the place of shampoo. You're still washing your scalp, just with conditioner, not shampoo. Most people prefer a thinner conditioner that is easy to distribute on their scalp.

Regular conditioning, or a rinse-out, is just like conditioning your hair pre-CG - it's applied to the rest of your hair. A thicker conditioner is better for this, especially in the colder months.

Of course, all of your conditioners and styling products should be silicone-free. These ingredients are not water-soluble and need a harsh shampoo to remove. Silicones end in -cone, -conol, and -xane. There are also a few other water-insolube ingredients like lanolin, paraffin, petrolatum, and mineral oil.

Here are a few links if you need more info:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=14702

http://www.naturallycurly.com//curltalk/showthread.php?t=47564

And Laura Lee's awesome blog entry:

http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
  • CurlGirl27CurlGirl27 Posts: 23Registered Users
    Thanks CurlyJenn!!!
  • goldilocks036goldilocks036 Posts: 52Registered Users
    So can you just use a sulfate-free shampoo rather than co-wash?
    mostly 3a. a little 2c and 3b.
    fine/thin, but lots of it.
  • MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Some people do. That would be considered a low/no poo, depending on the ingredients I think. Typically people that get overconditioned more easily (myself included, though I use soap bars instead of a poo) go this route, as cowashing really imparts a good bit of moisture while it cleans.

If your hair is dry though, i'd go for cowashing, rather than the low/no poo. At least at first. Even though a shampoo is sulfate free, there are still detergents in there that might cause a little bit of dryness (though nothing CLOSE to what SLS does). Conditioners do, in fact, have cleaning agents in them, and they're generally a TON more gentle on your hair than any of the detergents in a shampoo. That's why it's recommended for curlies... more gentle, more moisture... good all around :)
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file