Deva Cut, IL ?

ElvishThistleElvishThistle Posts: 130Registered Users
So I checked the Deva Concepts site for trained stylists in my area (West Suburbs, IL) and found a few I'm interested in. But I looked back here for reviews and none of them are listed! I have a stylist i'm just ok with, but I want something better than ok. Any reviews on a salon you curly girls love? Please help me out, I can't find any reviews i'm looking for :glasses7:
Fine, 3a/3b
Modified CG
Low Poo: TJ's TTT, ACV/beer Rinses once a month or so, Soap Bars once in a while, Carols Daughter Khoret Amen shampoo
Conditioner: AOHR, AOGPB, Suave Coconut, vo5 Kiwi, etc
Style
HE gels, occasional hairspray, Garnier Fructis Curl shaping gel spray, FSG when I actually make it
Honey/AVG only in the summer

HG I fell into the craze and my hair is happy with Deva! No Poo, Angel, and one condish = awesome hair day.
My hair loves Protein!

Comments

• ElvishThistleElvishThistle Posts: 130Registered Users
    Really, no one? I'll take any recs from the 'burbs then! I just want to finally find someone who knows what they're doing. I thought I had found a salon by the reviews but the salon has moved and I have no clue where. :confused3:
    Fine, 3a/3b
    Modified CG
    Low Poo: TJ's TTT, ACV/beer Rinses once a month or so, Soap Bars once in a while, Carols Daughter Khoret Amen shampoo
    Style
    HE gels, occasional hairspray, Garnier Fructis Curl shaping gel spray, FSG when I actually make it

HG I fell into the craze and my hair is happy with Deva! No Poo, Angel, and one condish = awesome hair day.
    My hair loves Protein!

• tsjmomtsjmom Posts: 85Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm looking for one too. There is a recent review of a stylist at Mario Tricoci in Oak Brook that I may look into. Please post if you find one!
    3a, fine, highlighted, BSL. HGs so far: GF C&S leave in (d/c), Aussie Tizz No Frizz gel, honey, ACV, CK. Searching for a leave in curl cream to replace GF.
  • tsjmomtsjmom Posts: 85Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I went to Cookie at One Salon and Spa in Oak Brook today. I got her name off the Deva website. I broke down b/c I desperately needed my hair shaped just a bit. It was looking straggly, and I want it to look nice while I'm trying to grow it longer.

Although she'd been to a training class with Lorraine Massey, she doesn't Deva cut curly hair regularly. I don't think she felt very comfortable doing it, and I wouldn't go back to her. After she sectioned off my dry hair, she'd finger comb a section, pull is taught, and snip. No cutting each curl above the 'c'. I asked about cutting each curl clump and she said it would take her all day to do it that way. Through out, she kept pushing Kerastase products with all their cones and mineral oil on me even though she knew I was CG.

All in all, I think it looks better than before but not the best it could with a real Deva cut.
    3a, fine, highlighted, BSL. HGs so far: GF C&S leave in (d/c), Aussie Tizz No Frizz gel, honey, ACV, CK. Searching for a leave in curl cream to replace GF.
  • ElvishThistleElvishThistle Posts: 130Registered Users
    Thanks for the review tsjmom! I was looking at that salon and considering going there. I think I will look around a bit more, I don't think time should be a huge issue for getting a great haircut.
    Fine, 3a/3b
    Modified CG
    Style

My hair loves Protein!

• nucurlsnucurls Posts: 25Registered Users
    I live in the western burbs too, and I haven't tried any of the salons in the area. Instead, I take the long drive to Highland Park to visit Stacie at Mane Cutters. She is fantastic, her prices are good, and if you use Deva products, they are quite a bit cheaper than Ulta. Looks like they also carry Kinky Curly, so I'm looking at their prices on that line tomorrow when I make the trek.

She is listed as the first stylist in Illinois to be Deva-trained, and that's what I went for. I like her a lot and since I don't get my hair trimmed often, I'll keep spending the additional gas once every 4-5 months.

EDIT: the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] was also $26 at Mane Cutters. She was willing to give me a sample big enough to last a week or so. I also forgot to mention that Stacie has two price points: one for the cut only, no style or cowash. That is $40. The other includes full cowash and style, deva-style.
  • IroIro Posts: 71Registered Users
    Cally at Tojours Spa in Andersonvile gives great curly girl cuts. There are quite a few reviews of her in the salon section.

I realize that Andersonville would be quite a hike from the western burbs, but it might be worth it. And you could go out for a yummy meal in one of the many restaurants nearby! :-)
    Fine, thin & tight 3B curls. Currently using Curl Keeper & Boots Curl Creme.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file