I can't believe Geithner was approved

munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
After his not paying over $30,000+ in taxes, the man still gets approved for Secretary of the Treasury (and head of the IRS). Come on. He was told in 2006 he owed this money and still didn't pay. I would say this is the first mistake of the Obama presidency and the Democratic congress. Someone should have said "hey, we didn't know this and we are withdrawing the nomination." Not "ok, so what, let's approve the guy regardless."
3b/c

Comments

• misspammisspam Posts: 5,318Registered Users
    munchkin wrote: »
    After his not paying over $30,000+ in taxes, the man still gets approved for Secretary of the Treasury (and head of the IRS). Come on. He was told in 2006 he owed this money and still didn't pay. I would say this is the first mistake of the Obama presidency and the Democratic congress. Someone should have said "hey, we didn't know this and we are withdrawing the nomination." Not "ok, so what, let's approve the guy regardless."

I agree his confirmation was a misstep for the Obama administration. This man has committed a fraud and now he's in charge of the Treasury?!? I just don't get it.

I can't fault the democrats exclusively as a few linguini-spined republicans were on board as well. Nuts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    misspam wrote: »
    munchkin wrote: »

I agree his confirmation was a misstep for the Obama administration. This man has committed a fraud and now he's in charge of the Treasury?!? I just don't get it.

I can't fault the democrats exclusively as a few linguini-spined republicans were on board as well. Nuts.

The republicans in congress were as guilty too, but the liberals were always so fast to criticize the mistakes they thought Bush was making, that it's only fair we point out when Obama and his administration slip up too. I like President Obama and don't think this is the worst mistake a president can make (though with the economy in the tank like it is, I think this is not the best move), but at the same time, we can't overlook when he does do something we don't agree with.
    3b/c
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users
    I clearly don't know enough about this man or this case. Maybe someone can chime in that does. From what you said, it doesn't make sense at all. Maybe there's some things that the congress and Obama know that we don't know. I've noticed that Fox News (not saying you got it from that source...but it's just an observation here) will tell part of a story and then give their conclusion. A partial truth can be just as distorted as an all-out lie...depending on how it's spun. Just saying. Sometimes there's more to it than that...so, until I know more about this, I don't want to say this was a good or bad thing.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • ScarletScarlet Posts: 3,125Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Boomygrrl wrote: »
    Maybe there's some things that the congress and Obama know that we don't know. I've noticed that Fox News (not saying you got it from that source...but it's just an observation here) will tell part of a story and then give their conclusion.

The entire mainstream media does this, not just Fox.
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
  • susancnwsusancnw Posts: 1,374Registered Users Curl Novice
    This man is a crook, liar and a cheat. And now he's the head of the Treasury. Does this mean that if I forget to pay part of my taxes, act on bad information, or the software messes up on my return, do I get a 'do-over'?

Very big mistake on the part of the new administration. Now, groups claimed for years that President Bush couldn't admit to a mistake. Can the new administration admit it and take responsibility and can the guy? And yes, the rubber spined Republicans need to be taken to task too...even better, taken to the woodshed.
    My son wears combat boots (and a parachute). So does my son-in-law.
    The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
    Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

s-event.png

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree. He should have withdrawn or something. It's going to boomerang.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/01/bumps-in-the-ro.html

Funny how all of these supposedly brilliant people keep messing up on their taxes. Oops!
    The first lesson of economics is scarcity: There is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics - Thomas Sowell
    Scarlet wrote: »
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/01/bumps-in-the-ro.html

Funny how all of these supposedly brilliant people keep messing up on their taxes. Oops!

I saw a clip online the other day where one of the commentators hinted that we haven't seen the last of Obama's appointees *ahem* tax troubles. I wonder if this is who he was referring to.....:happy10:

and it is funny!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • curlyjenn10curlyjenn10 Posts: 2,034Registered Users
    Why didn't any of these problems come up during the vetting process? I know McCain got a lot of flack for Sarah Palin, but three of Obama's appointees have had problems (Geithner, Daschle, and Bill Richardson). I don't understand.
    CG since 6/15/08!
    Medium-Fine/Normal Porosity

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/
    Why didn't any of these problems come up during the vetting process? I know McCain got a lot of flack for Sarah Palin, but three of Obama's appointees have had problems (Geithner, Daschle, and Bill Richardson). I don't understand.

Well, there you go again, being all logical and everything. :wink:

Seriously, you do bring up an excellent point that is flying right over the heads of all the so-called geniuses in the mainstream media. Nobody is talking about it.

Hmmm, I wonder why.........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seriously, you do bring up an excellent point that is flying right over the heads of all the so-called geniuses in the mainstream media. Nobody is talking about it.

That reminds me. I have to pick up Bernie Goldberg's book today
    Scarlet wrote: »

That reminds me. I have to pick up Bernie Goldberg's book today

True that. You mean this one......

http://www.amazon.com/Slobbering-Love-Affair-Pathetic-Mainstream/dp/1596980907/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233411807&sr=8-1

That's definitely on my Amazon Wish List. :thumbright:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    That's it!
    illustrative and kinda funny.....

driving_miss_daschle.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CottonCandyCurlsCottonCandyCurls Posts: 344Registered Users
    As much as I find all this silly tax dodging funny. Wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to highlight a flat tax of some sort? If even Geithner makes these kind of "mistakes" why not make the tax system simpler. Oh I know, that would make sense.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file