How much do you pay for daycare?

webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
Hubby and I have come to the realization that Lex needs to be in daycare. his mom simply can't handle the little fireball.

Just curious how much you guys pay on average. I'm finding that full time care in Austin (approx 8 hrs) runs about $700-$775 per month.
hello.world.

Comments

• LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    We're in Des Moines, Iowa and pay $965/month. By the time she starts kindergarten we will have already paid for four years of college. :)
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I pay $534 because I use an in-home sitter. Daycare for a one year old runs about between 800 and 1000. Preschool for X next year will be between 600 and 800. It could be a lot more but I had to rule those schools out based on cost.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • AprilnUtahAprilnUtah Posts: 519Registered Users Curl Novice
    I pay $550 a month for 5 hours a day M-F at a Montessori pre-school.
    April
    3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

• SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    My sister pays $775/mo for her kid, and she has to supply his diapers/pull ups. Once he's potty trained, it'll go down to $725.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I pay 600/mo for Maya and 700/mo for Aidan. Once Aidan is 2, his rate will drop.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    $531 for preschool mdo m-f
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    Around here, it is anywhere from $85-100 per week. The parents pay the same fee whether their child goes part time or full time.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My son goes to a home daycare and I pay $140/wk for 3 days. He goes to preschool the other 2 days (1/2 day) and that's $165/month.

If we have another one I feel I'll be working to pay for daycare:sad6:.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Magoo wrote: »

That's how a lot of us get to be SAHM's. With 2 or more, daycare's often unaffordable and it doesn't pay to work.
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    DarkAngel wrote: »
    I pay $534 because I use an in-home sitter. Daycare for a one year old runs about between 800 and 1000. Preschool for X next year will be between 600 and 800. It could be a lot more but I had to rule those schools out based on cost.

Does the sitter come to your house or do you send X to his/her house?

We had the arrangement for a little while where a sitter came to the house but MIL drove her away.
    hello.world.
  • deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Right now Liam is at the in home daycare.. which is techincally $150/week but I usually pay her $170 because I am often late with pickup.. (damn DC Traffic!!!)

But starting in March.. He will be going to a preschool.. it's a little more than I want to pay almost $100 more a week but the pros outweigh the cons.. (so figure $1,079)
    • It's in the bldg right next door to my work.. so if I want to go visit, or if there is an emergency I can easily get him...
    • Its more structured... the in home daycare lady (she's in her 50's) has the TV going usually all day (educational programs, but still) they will feed him lunch and there is set times for everything.. and they will help with the potty (since we've seemed to have stalled on this)
    • tons of activities and learning so I'm willing to fork over the money
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • geminigemini Posts: 3,325Registered Users
    $220 a week, or about $900 a month, that is for a 3 year old. It was just slightly more than that when she was 2 and ridiculously more than that when she was a baby through 18 mos.
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    if you find a reputable daycare facility that has a 5-star rating, they probably get funding from, say, united way, and can afford to offer a sliding scale tuition rate based on your income.

both our kids went to the same daycare/preschool. we paid $525 a month for our son. by the time our daughter entered a few years later, we had to pay $600. that was still a bargain, considering that many facilities here charge $800+ for children and don't include food in their tuition! it goes up when you are talking about newborns and infants!

our son entered the facility just before he turned 4, which is why the sliding scale rates dropped (he was an older toddler). the same with our daughter, who entered the facility in the preschool class.

definitely ask if they offer help with tuition. it doesn't make sense to pay the full rate if you qualify for a cheaper one.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Chas just dropped. For full time 5 days a week we pay 187 a week. We provide diapers and they provide the rest. He has a great teacher and is learning a lot.

Addison is free right now because grandma is watching her...if we payed full time for her at the same school it would be 233 a week. We would have to provide food and diapers for this class. (We do however compensate Grandma...gift certificates etc, dinner out etc. She won't take cash).

I do have other breakdowns. For the Toddler 1 class this is after infant care (start walking). This class is 211 a week. At 18 months they move to Toddler 2 class which is 198 a week.
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Magoo wrote: »

That's how a lot of us get to be SAHM's. With 2 or more, daycare's often unaffordable and it doesn't pay to work.

Pretty much.
  • marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    Hubby has a buddy at work with 3 kids under 4 years old at work in care/preschool. He pays $2600 a month.
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users
    We are in suburbs of NYC. The baby is $1600 a month :O and my 4 year old is $1200 a month. That's 5 days a week, 7:30 AM to 6 pm , with two meals and a snack provided. They do have financial assistance but we do not qualify. It is a *****, but we are looking at this year as a loss-leader. Next year my son will be in free kindergarten, so it is only 1 year that we have to pay for both of them.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • SimbathekatSimbathekat Posts: 140Registered Users
    It really is a shame that daycare costs so much. My daughter goes to a home daycare and that's $200/week, plus formula (which runs about $20/week). The provider is nice and really looks out for the kids, but she had us issue a $400 deposit up front and there's an annual fee of $150 every June for "supply maintenance".

I managed to actually talk her down from $270/week to $200/week, so we're getting a great deal in comparison to the other parents.
  • FieryCurlsFieryCurls Posts: 2,904Registered Users
    geeky wrote: »
    We are in suburbs of NYC. The baby is $1600 a month :O and my 4 year old is $1200 a month. That's 5 days a week, 7:30 AM to 6 pm , with two meals and a snack provided. They do have financial assistance but we do not qualify. It is a *****, but we are looking at this year as a loss-leader. Next year my son will be in free kindergarten, so it is only 1 year that we have to pay for both of them.

:shock:
    2qhtm5.png

WNckm6.png
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    webjockey wrote: »
    DarkAngel wrote: »

Does the sitter come to your house or do you send X to his/her house?

We had the arrangement for a little while where a sitter came to the house but MIL drove her away.

I take him to her. He needs a change of scenery.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Karan used to go to a home daycare, 2 mornings a week for $4/hour. The more structure preschool-daycare on my college campus is closer to $800/month.
  • violetsviolets Posts: 1,689Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    For my first grader its $440 a month ( 7:30 - 8:30 am and 3:30 - 6:00pm after school)

During summer its $3,000 for camp and before/after camp care for 11 weeks of care.

Although I only pay half of all this, because I share it with my exhusband.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Posts: 791Registered Users
    DS is in full time daycare from 8 am to 5 pm. They provide two snacks and lunch. I provide diapers/pull ups and they provide wipes.

I receive partial subsidy, and I pay $306. Subsidy is $410, so I guess his daycare fees are $716.

I should also point out that DS's daycare is a non-for-profit daycare.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    dc area is high - a lot like geeky's numbers
    often people around here find it less $ to have a nanny if they have 2 or more

we've been lucky with help from relatives
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • geekygeeky Posts: 4,995Registered Users

A nanny would definitely be less for us too. But a) I would have a hard time trusting a stranger alone with my kids all day, I trust the daycare center more because it as all open doors all the time b) my son is at the age where he needs some social interaction and more stimulation than a nanny could provide, so we would likely end up paying for some kind of preschool anyway.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    Here is varies on type of daycare, location ect...when Steven was in the center, I chose one of the top centers, it was on my college campus, 2 mins away from were I was working, about 12 mins from home...We payed $650 a month for mwf 8-6, 2 meals and a snack provided. This was for level 2 infant (12 months - 24 months)

Home care at someone elses home runs from $2.50/hour to $200 a week. If you want someone to come to your home it will run about 10-25 dollars an hour.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    geeky wrote: »

A nanny would definitely be less for us too. But a) I would have a hard time trusting a stranger alone with my kids all day, I trust the daycare center more because it as all open doors all the time b) my son is at the age where he needs some social interaction and more stimulation than a nanny could provide, so we would likely end up paying for some kind of preschool anyway.

I agree. Kennedy is 3. We considered a nanny when Cassidy was born but Kennedy needed social interaction badly. She had been with my aunt who was a nanny and had another child (but she didn't charge us nanny prices). Cassi is in home care with another relative and Kennedy is in a wonderful preschool.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I live in Georgia. I didn't start working until my son started school. The aftercare at the school was $5 a day and was until 6pm. I paid $80 a week for daycare during the summer. He started daycamp when he was 6 and he still attends now (he's 12 and this will be his last summer) and it's $75 a week.

I used to babysit at my house before my son started school - I made sure he had other kids to play with since he's an only child. I charged $50 for the first child and $75 for two kids. I usually had 2-3 kids at a time.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users Curl Novice
    $700/month 7:30am-6:00pm (one hour earlier AND later is fine as well) - all meals/snacks provided.
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    I pay $40/week for after-care (3:00 pm-6:00 pm). Before-care (6:30 am-8:00 am) would be an extra $5.

Before he started school he went to Head Start ($45/week for before and after care), and until he was 3, my mother watched him.
    3c/4a

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file