CurlTalk

Spinoff: When do you usually do your taxes?

MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
In the thread about what people are doing with there returns, someone mentioned they'd already done theirs and should be getting their return soon... I was impressed. I'm usually pretty quick about our taxes, but I'm still waiting for tax documents from our bank. Our mortgage documents just came the other day, and our employer documents came late last week. I plan on doing our taxes as soon as the bank documents come, so this year will be on the early side.

Last year I didn't do them until mid-March. One year I didn't even think of them until Valentine's day, and then didn't file for a few weeks after that for some reason.

When do you guys usually do your taxes? You get like 18 weeks to do them, but it seems so many people wait until the last minute.
"And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
Stolen.

Comments

• MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    I do them as soon as I have all the paperwork. I'm still waiting for my employer to send me my W-2 though. They like to mail it on the last day they possibly can. Ugh.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
  • gekko422gekko422 Posts: 4,869Registered Users
    Yeah, mine are pretty well done. I am missing a couple forms, but once I get them in, I will be finished.
    Democracy is not a spectator sport.

You know why pandas are endangered? Cause pandas ain't got no game.

Jesus loves you, but I'm his favorite.
    MizKerri wrote: »
    I do them as soon as I have all the paperwork. I'm still waiting for my employer to send me my W-2 though. They like to mail it on the last day they possibly can. Ugh.

Can you not download yours? That's what I did.

• pooks1213pooks1213 Posts: 211Registered Users
    We just got all of our documents yesterday, so I will be doing them tonight!
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    We usually do them...late. I think we're up to 2006, which is the most caught up we've ever been.
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Posts: 5,581Registered Users
    I do mine as soon as I have all the forms. I have a second job and I haven't received that W-2 yet. But as soon as I get it, I'm off to the races.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlymix%2F" class="Popup
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey
  • MizKerriMizKerri Posts: 1,701Registered Users
    gekko422 wrote: »

I tried that last night and Turbo Tax couldn't find them yet and said to wait a couple more days.

If a news story breaks and no one on the Internet comments, did it really happen?
    That sucks, MK.

• CurlyGina2CurlyGina2 Posts: 1,048Registered Users
    Never before April.
  • MoppyTMoppyT Posts: 998Registered Users
    I will do mine the day I get my W-2.

I'm getting impatient. Yes, already.
    The best revenge is living well. The second best revenge is fire ants.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Posts: 2,671Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have mine prepared early but since we owe, we take our time paying. Sometime in the summer, most likely.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    gekko422 wrote: »

I tried that last night and Turbo Tax couldn't find them yet and said to wait a couple more days.

If you have last years forms you could use your last pay stub. That's if you do your own.

I'm waiting on a the interest forms from the bank.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • StarrwithoutniteStarrwithoutnite Posts: 1,732Registered Users
    Im done :) Got my W-2 today, turbotaxed it already...I need new tires REAL bad :)
    "Someday love will find you...break those chains that bind you!!"

XIJ2VeH.jpgXIJ2m8.png

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users
    Not as bad as RCW :laughing8:
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    We usually do them the first week in Feb. We are always given our W-2's right at the last minute.
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    I do ours as soon as we have all the paperwork.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    Like as soon as we get our W-2's. My husband already did everything but that, so when we get the W-2's on the 30th, we'll just have to enter in a couple of numbers and submit. We want our moolah!
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • MichelleBFTMichelleBFT Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    I started mine tonight. I think I'm missing some stuff from the bank, and I need Purple Heart to get me a copy of my receipt from a December donation.
    "And politically correct is the worst term, not just because it’s dismissive, but because it narrows down the whole social justice spectrum to this idea that it’s about being polite instead of about dismantling the oppressive social structure of power.
    Fun Fact: When you actively avoid being “PC,” you’re not being forward-thinking or unique. You’re buying into systems of oppression that have existed since before you were even born, and you’re keeping those systems in place."
    Stolen.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users
    I haven't received my W-2s yet. It can take me years to do taxes, but since I'm caught up with my Federal, I'm doing 2008 before April. As soon as possible in fact. Thank you Turbo Tax.
    My blog - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fsuburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
    My FOTKI - /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwhatsnew.fotki.com%2Fsuburbanbushbabe%2F" class="Popup
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users
    We are doing ours February 2nd. We've received all of our necessary paperwork except my husbands W-2's. He is supposed to get them next week.
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users
    We're another family that does them as soon as we get all our paperwork. No sense waiting around. We've only owed one year (hubby messed up his W-4!), and we like to get our refund money as soon as we can!
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fnynaeve77%2F" class="Popup
    Password: orphanannie
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If we have to pay, we do them in March and send them in at the last minute. If we get money back, we do them as soon as our W2s and bank statements come in. This year we're getting money back so I'm just waiting for one last thing to come in before I sit down to do them.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • webjockeywebjockey Posts: 2,786Registered Users
    whenever. I just file as many extentions as I need.

This is the first year I'm filing jointly. Should be interesting.
    hello.world.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I try to do them in February once I have all the documents. It's a pain since they are a bit complicated. I do my dad's taxes as well, and they are more complicated. Without tax software I would be doomed.

For my dad I deduct medical expenses, so it takes quite a bit of time to add everything up in a spreadsheet, calculate the mileage for doctor appointments, etc.

I also do a spreadsheet for my future FIL's medical expenses too. He has an accountant but he still has to provide the medical stuff. If I didn't do it he wouldn't bother.

I'll say it again -- I hate tax season.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,251Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have done mine as early as January 2nd.

Now that I do them online, they can't be filed til January 15th which is when I did them. My refund should be in my checking account any day now.

Since I don't have to send in W2's or any other forms, I don't have to wait. And I can figure out most things like property taxes, mortgage interest, etc before any forms come in the mail.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I don't have my W-2 yet. I get mine done right away pretty much. I love getting my return super-fast, directly deposited into my account, especially knowing some people just keep waiting around!
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    While we have finally starting getting a refund again (albeit a small one), we don't mail our taxes in until the last minute because we are on a payment plan for back taxes.

We should pay that off this year, thank God. If only they would reimburse me for the hours I spend on the phone each year, talking terms with the IRS!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    My goal is to have them to the accountant (yes I'm too chicken to do TurboTax once again. I do all the work and pay him to sign his name) by 2/28.