substitute for shallots?

JillH410JillH410 Registered Users Posts: 594 Curl Neophyte
I forgot to get shallots at the grocery store so I'm wondering if anyone knows of a substitute I could use? I'm making a wine mustard sauce for peppercorn steak... do I really have to have the shallots?
cowash: Tresemme Naturals
rinse out: Garnier Triple Nutrition
Leave in: Suave naturals, whichever scent I'm into at the moment
gel: Garnier Fructis or LA Looks

3a-3b - high porosity

Comments

• ruralcurlsruralcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,574
    I have done that, too. Do you have any regular onions?

If not, make it without and see how it tastes.
    That sounds yummy, by the way.
  • JillH410JillH410 Registered Users Posts: 594 Curl Neophyte
    I have yellow onion... think that would work? This is actually the first time I'm making this so I'll see how it turns out. If it's any good I can definitely pass along the recipe!

3a-3b - high porosity
  • HoneycurlsHoneycurls Registered Users Posts: 1,889
    JillH410 wrote: »
    I have yellow onion... think that would work? This is actually the first time I'm making this so I'll see how it turns out. If it's any good I can definitely pass along the recipe!

Yes. I have made this substitution before in recipes. The shallots have a little stronger flavor than yellow onions, but unless you are serving it to a Cordon Bleu-trained chef or someone of that ilk, I doubt they would ever notice the difference.

Good luck...and, if it turns out well, please post the recipe!

Thanks!
    OK, I admit it.....I'm an alias! I wasn't born with the name Honeycurls!
    :lurk: Dood, get over it; there's no time limit on lurking.

I so busy runnin' allllllll over the place and ain't nobody chasin' me! :confused5::laughing5::jocolor:
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Registered Users Posts: 4,858 Curl Neophyte
    ITA with what Honeycurls told you about using onions. You might want to use slightly more to come closer to the more intense flavor of shallots. However much onion you use, it'll probably be closer to the original recipe than it would be without.

And, yes, recipe, please!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • ninja dogninja dog Registered Users Posts: 23,780 Curl Neophyte
    ITA yellow onions.

But I love shallots.
  • JillH410JillH410 Registered Users Posts: 594 Curl Neophyte
    Ingredients:

4 beef tenderloin steaks, 1 inch thick
    2 tsp crushed season pepper blend or freshly ground black pepper
    vegetable cooking spray
    2 T chopped shallots
    1 cup beef stock (not broth)
    1/2 cup burgundy wine or other dry red wine
    1 T dijon style mustard
    1 T butter
    chopped fresh parsley

Season the steaks with the pepper blend. Spray a 10-inch non stick skillet with the cooking spray and heat over medium heat for 1 minute. Add the steaks and cook 10 minutes for rare or to desired doneness, turning over once during cooking. Remove the steaks from the skillet and keep warm.

Add the shallots to the skillet and cook until they're tender, stirring often. Stir in the stock, wine, and mustard and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 10 minutes or until the sauce is reduced to about 1 cup, stirring occasionally. Stir in the butter. Serve the sauce with the steaks. Sprinkle with the parsley.

I used more than just pepper to season the steaks I had. The sauce was definitely good, even with the yellow onion substitution. The cut of steak I had wasn't as good as I had hoped, but a good recipe overall. Thanks for everyone's help!

3a-3b - high porosity
  • love yourself firstlove yourself first Registered Users Posts: 5,398
    Leeks would also work, if you have them.
    "Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."
    "I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
    - Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
  • The New BlackThe New Black Registered Users Posts: 16,754 Curl Connoisseur
    What ninjadog said. Maybe the white part of green onions would work too.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file