Keeping little ones home from school: I'm taking her to the dr today

medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
My 4 year-old has had a runny nose for what seems like forever. But she hasn't had any fevers, loss of appetite or lethargy.

In the past week she has developed a mucousy cough and her nose is running slightly yellow. But other than that, she's fine. She comes home from preschool telling me that she's being told to stay home by at least one of the teachers and by one little boy on the bus.

Our pediatrician has always advised to keep a child home if there's a fever, severe cough, diarrhea or vomiting. She has none of that and she really wants to go to school. I feel bad that they're putting pressure on her to stay home.

What's your rule of thumb for keeping your child home?

Comments

• rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    medussa wrote: »
    My 4 year-old has had a runny nose for what seems like forever. But she hasn't had any fevers, loss of appetite or lethargy.

In the past week she has developed a mucousy cough and her nose is running slightly yellow. But other than that, she's fine. She comes home from preschool telling me that she's being told to stay home by at least one of the teachers and by one little boy on the bus.

Our pediatrician has always advised to keep a child home if there's a fever, severe cough, diarrhea or vomiting. She has none of that and she really wants to go to school. I feel bad that they're putting pressure on her to stay home.

What's your rule of thumb for keeping your child home?

stuffy nose, no other symptoms, i send them to school.

runny nose, no other symptoms, i send them to school with a personal pack of tissues.

allergy related tickly cough, i send them to school.

mucousy cough, they stay home because when they have ever had this type of cough, they were sick and didn't need to be around others.

even a slight temp, they stay home because you never know when it will jump from 99.1 to 102, so they need to be home relaxing and fighting off the funk.

it could be that your child isn't well, but just doesn't feel beaten down with it. but she may very well be passing her germs around to others who may end up having to stay home for a few days to recover. i'd keep her out of school until that cough is in check.

ETA: also, if the teachers aren't inclined to wipe kids' noses all day, and if your child doesn't know how to wipe and blow effectively with tissues, you may want to keep her home until her nose-running has stopped or at least slowed down a bit. i'm in our kids' school and see some of the nastiest habits kids have with their noses. i saw a boy eating lunch, wipe his colorful runny nose on his sleeve, then pick up his food to offer to his friend beside him who was ready to take it! i had to play "takes a village" mama and send him to the bathroom with that and reinforce the "no food sharing" rule.

code: nasty varmint
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Catherine is very good with her tissues and very good about blowing her nose. But her teachers do not help the children with blowing their nose, anyway. The child must do it.

Coughs can go on for weeks after all other symptoms improve. So, I'm not inclined to keep her home for a mild cough. Now if she were having coughing fits, I'd keep her home.

She'll be home in about an hour, so I'll reassess then. I was inclined to think it was allergies because she's had a runny nose for so long. We were given Claritin last time, but she gags when I try to give it her.

Can you tell the difference between allergies and the common cold?
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    One sign of allergies is in the eyes.
    I'm w/ you H~
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    When S was in daycare

Clear runny nose - send

Any sort of color in runny nose - home

cough - depends, S gets a cough from one of his meds, so he stays home if he has a runny nose AND a cough...just a cough he would go

Any sort of weird body fluids - home

Any temp - home (even if I thought it was teething), he only has run a temp a few times.
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    Catherine is very good with her tissues and very good about blowing her nose. But her teachers do not help the children with blowing their nose, anyway. The child must do it.

Coughs can go on for weeks after all other symptoms improve. So, I'm not inclined to keep her home for a mild cough. Now if she were having coughing fits, I'd keep her home.

She'll be home in about an hour, so I'll reassess then. I was inclined to think it was allergies because she's had a runny nose for so long. We were given Claritin last time, but she gags when I try to give it her.

Can you tell the difference between allergies and the common cold?

allergies usually have clear mucus, never yellow or gold, or God forbid, green!

never aches or chills with allergies

allergic reactions happen immediately and don't have an incubation period like colds

allergies can happen any time of year, can be seasonal, and even with allergy meds don't clear up if the person is continually exposed to the allergen, be it pollen, mold, animals, food, etc. colds usually run their course in a week or two, whether you are taking medication or not.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
    We're off to the pediatrician this morning. Her nose is running a more interesting color as of this a.m. and my son told me he heard his sister at 1am, hacking up a lung: "it sounded like the death cough, mom."

She also slept until 9am, which is not like her at all. But here she is right now, jumping up and down, singing the Dora the Explorer song.

I guess I'll go and pay my $40 copay to be told what I know already. Catherine has a cold and I should run the humidifier at night.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    We're off to the pediatrician this morning. Her nose is running a more interesting color as of this a.m. and my son told me he heard his sister at 1am, hacking up a lung: "it sounded like the death cough, mom."

She also slept until 9am, which is not like her at all. But here she is right now, jumping up and down, singing the Dora the Explorer song.

I guess I'll go and pay my $40 copay to be told what I know already. Catherine has a cold and I should run the humidifier at night.
    Sounds familiar..lol
    Do it just to ease your mind, ya know?
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• deedlesdeedles Posts: 2,467Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

Geez M, $40 copay! Mine for Liam is $15 you must have a PPO...

also I run Liam's humidifier every night.. I go thru tons of filters but it helps him with the allergies... and since I still have his Neb Machine and some extra Albuterol.. if he gets croupy I will put him on a treatment or two

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    FYI, Chas had a runny nose and very bad cough right after Christmas. The cough was keeping him from sleeping good. We took him to the doctor and he had bronchitis so it's a good thing your taking her in. The doctor thought pneumonia which scared me but after the x-ray...it hadn't developed that far yet.
    I totally forgot to update on Friday.

The pediatrician said that it most likely started out as allergies (clear runny nose for weeks) and developed into a cold.

Our approach will be to wait and see if the mucus runs clear again. If not, it's most likely a sinus infection and I have a script for Amoxicillin, to fill just in case. The complications of a cold are pneumonia, ear infection and sinus infection (and Bronchitis, I believe). My daughter tested negative for strep (I knew she didn't have strep, but Catherine started playing up the symptoms the minute our handsome pediatrician walked in). She has no other symptoms.

The pediatrician gave us the okay to head back to preschool on Monday. He asked about mouth breathing, since my daughter appeared to be one (I have to watch after her cold symptoms go away). If she is, we need to see an ENT and rule out enlarged adenoids.

Deedles, I would run the humidifier more often but I'm concerned about mold. The room gets so damp that the walls are dripping wet in the morning. The wall borders are starting to detach in some areas, from the moisture. I might just finish ripping them down, since Catherine removed an entire section in protest during the great nap debacle of 2007.

ETA: Lilly is sick now also. She's very cranky and waking once a night now.
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I run the humidifier before bed and turn it off when I put him in...I usually let it run an hour or so before i put him down
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    Medusa, I'm so glad to hear it's not something more serious. For Chas' stuffy nose when he can't breath at night, I buy the vick's vapors. It's a little machine and it blows vicks vapor smell into the room. It helps him to breathe. You can buy it at any pharmacy..I know Walgreens carries it. Hope she's well soon. Runny noses are a consistent thing in my house during winter.
    Medusa, I'm so glad to hear it's not something more serious. For Chas' stuffy nose when he can't breath at night, I buy the vick's vapors. It's a little machine and it blows vicks vapor smell into the room. It helps him to breathe. You can buy it at any pharmacy..I know Walgreens carries it. Hope she's well soon. Runny noses are a consistent thing in my house during winter.

Thanks! I actually have that stuff already. The humidifier I have has a tiny reservoir for the Vicks liquid. My mom swears by the vapor rub also. But I always forget to put it on them when they get sick.

Thanks! I actually have that stuff already. The humidifier I have has a tiny reservoir for the Vicks liquid. My mom swears by the vapor rub also. But I always forget to put it on them when they get sick.

It's an alternative to running the humidifier since it's so damp already in the room. It's not expensive...maybe 10.00 with 2 of the vick's refills. Only downfall is it will only go about 2 full nights (12 hours) on one battery. It's a small plastic thing...that can sit anywhere.

It's an alternative to running the humidifier since it's so damp already in the room. It's not expensive...maybe 10.00 with 2 of the vick's refills. Only downfall is it will only go about 2 full nights (12 hours) on one battery. It's a small plastic thing...that can sit anywhere.

I've never seen those before. I will look into it, IC. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file