What's your favorite age?

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
With DS being 1.5 now, I feel like I get a lot of "warnings" i.e. "just wait until he's 2!" (or 3 or 5 or 13 or whatever age people want to warn you about). On the flip side, I remember when he was born and things were hard, people would say, "oh it gets better at 3 months." (or 4 or 6 or 10, etc.) I'm sure everyone has their favorite age/stage, so I thought this might be interesting to share.

For me, I really loved the time from about 5 months when he started showing personality and started getting mobile. He was more "interactive" than before and I loved getting to know him that way. He felt like a real person instead of an adorable blob that I fed all the time. Since then, we've had our rough spots, but he is just such fun to have around that the good parts make me forget the bad.

Anyone else?
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I always feel like whatever stage she's in is my new favorite stage - mostly because everytime she gets more independent, my life gets easier. She gets funnier every day.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I absolutely love the newborn stage. So, 0-3 months would be my favorite.

After that, it really varies by kid. Some kids are great as toddlers and pre-schoolers, some are not. Some are great as school-agers, some not.

I wish I could freeze-dry my youngest at his current age of 8. He's so perfect right now, I want to keep him that way. I don't want to let him get to pre-puberty.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    CGNYC wrote: »
    I always feel like whatever stage she's in is my new favorite stage - mostly because everytime she gets more independent, my life gets easier. She gets funnier every day.

I am in total agreement on this!
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    It's hard to say, since each of my children have been so different.

But I am loving this time with Lilly. She's 18 months old and we are having a blast. I have to restrain myself from posting everyday about something she has done or how crazy I am about her.
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    I agree with RCW; the newborn stage is the best. Actually, I'd extend that to about 8 months.
    3c/4a
    Po wrote: »
    I agree with RCW; the newborn stage is the best. Actually, I'd extend that to about 8 months.

They're rolling and crawling and getting into trouble by then. I like them as blobs.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I'll get back to you...lol
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I wouldn't quite say the newborn phase, but the very young phase. Once he started to show his personality, but before he became mobile. When he was small enough to easily pop in and out of a sling all day and when he would sleep anytime, anywhere without needing to worry about being home at naptime.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    I do not think we have found one yet...

Newborn (0-6 months) was just tough emotionally for everyone

6-18 months were tough as he was teething and growing (both physically and developmentally) a lot which caused discomfort for him.

18-now - although I LOVE how independent he is, he is also very very headstrong. and he never sits still...he even taps his feet when he sleeps!
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    CGNYC wrote: »

So far, I agree you with wholeheartedly.
    Also, every child is different. I love my 3 year old again - age 2 was difficult for both of us because she was so damn verbal and defiant and I was pregnant for most of the year. My one year old is not as verbal and expresses herself by "falling out" (this is another whole thread).

I disliked the first 3 months with both immensely - moreso when I had a toddler and a newborn. I couldn't wait for the "blob" stage to be over. I relished that first social smile and giggles.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    I wouldn't quite say the newborn phase, but the very young phase. Once he started to show his personality, but before he became mobile. When he was small enough to easily pop in and out of a sling all day and when he would sleep anytime, anywhere without needing to worry about being home at naptime.

yes! Cassi will fall asleep anywhere still.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    1-3 yrs old is my favorite. i love toddlers. theyre old enough to communicate and interact with you, but theyre not old enough to think that they know everything. the second they turn 3 im over it. they turn into mini teenagers who still pee their pants at times.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users

They're rolling and crawling and getting into trouble by then. I like them as blobs.

I'm agreeing with you twice here, RCW. However, while I'm glad you like your 8 year old, I'm not feeling my (almost) 8 year old too much these days. I told him yesterday he's too young for teen angst. Ugh.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My favorite so far was like 3-8 months. He started showing some personality, smiling, blowing bubbles, etc., but I could lay him down somewhere and he'd still be there when I came back. When he started crawling at 8 months, it totally threw me for a loop. I actually "lost" him a couple of times (usually under end tables). Don't get me worng, he's a LOT of fun now. He laughs at the silliest things, likes to "dance" (headbang) to music, "says" some pretty crazy-sounding stuff, but man is he a lot of work! Just when we think we've re-childproofed, we find him with something he wasn't supposed to be able to reach. And he's constantly squeezing himself into tight spaces (behind the couch, under chairs, on the shelves of the entertainment center), and then needs to be rescued when he gets stuck. It was definitely easier when he was a blob.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    Neither of my kids crawled, so I loved them as happy sitting blobs between 8 months and 13 months.

I love the toddler stage: from age 2 and up. Like CGNYC said, I love that he is getting more independent, that we can have real conversations, and that we can actually enjoy activities together (going out to eat, watching a movie etc...).
    cosmicfly wrote: »

I'm agreeing with you twice here, RCW. However, while I'm glad you like your 8 year old, I'm not feeling my (almost) 8 year old too much these days. I told him yesterday he's too young for teen angst. Ugh.

It really depends on the kid. Out of 4, he is my only perfect child. He's been perfect since birth, not just now. I don't want it to end, but I know he may soon become poisoned with testosterone. Le sigh...
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Posts: 996Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Harry was an early mover, so we didn't get much of that "staying put" time with him. I feel like we've been running after him and trying to keep him out of things for most of his life. I think I may enjoy the blob stage more with #2. Talk to me in 6 months, though!
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm really enjoying the sitting-but-not-crawling-yet stage right now. She babbles and smiles at everyone!

The newborn stage was actually pretty good baby-wise, but I had a hard time with all the postpartum hormones and adjusting to being a mom, so I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. I do miss sitting in the rocking chair reading during our long nursing sessions, which now are 5-minute wigglefests! I miss how she would sleep anywhere and once she was asleep I could move her anywhere. I love playing together now, but I also miss not needing to entertain her either.

I think it's easy to start thinking the grass is greener on the other side.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So far my favorite ages are around 6 months when they can sit and play but aren't too mobile and 18 months to 2 years old (I loved the toddler stage).

Now he's 3 and this has been the HARDEST stage so far. Definitely not enjoyable. Like another poster stated, he's going through this very verbal outspoken, defiant stage right now and I feel like all we do is butt heads all day. It's exhausting.
    ITA Subbrock, it's like living with a freakin teenager!
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • LoloDSMLoloDSM Posts: 3,778Registered Users
    I love DD's age now (19 months), but I liked months 6-9 the best. She was still a baby, but she liked to play and read books. She was still breast feeding (broke my heart when she self-weaned) and I was still her favorite person in the whole wide world.

Now she's got stuff to do, people to see, and she's more independent. She isn't as snuggly or just happy to hang out.
    Loose botticelli curls and waves
    No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
  • nynaeve77nynaeve77 Posts: 7,135Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm loving my daughter's current age. I've pretty much enjoyed all of her phases, but now she's getting more independent and we have hilarious conversations. She's a little miss bossy pants when we play, and it cracks me up. She's also starting to clean up her own messes, finally! The other day, she started pushing the broom around the kitchen trying to clean up kitty kibble that the cats knocked out of their bowls. I was so proud, because just a couple months ago, she would have been trying to eat it.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file