Low iron in baby -suggestions for iron rich foods

wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
Cassi's lab tests came back indicating that she has low iron stores. Dr. suggested an iron rich diet. I know about red meat and beans and cereal. The girl has become a picky eater.

Anyone go through this? What are some iron rich foods that I can try? Did you supplement with vitamans?
HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
password: curlzorwavez

Comments

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Dried apricots are pretty good and I think other dried fruit aswell, prunes and figs. When my boys were babies they were vegetarian so I knew a fair bit about it, but to be honest I've forgotten what I used to give them.
    I used to soak then stew the apricots and prunes, then puree them and give them small serves (didn't want the laxative effect!). I never tried figs cos I wouldn't know what to do with them - not something I eat.
    The other thing I used to make was a lentil "stew". Red lentils, carrots, onion and tomatoes all cooked up, then pureed fairly roughly. They both loved it, wish they would eat so healthily now!
    Sorry, I can't remember much else.
    3b in South Australia.
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    You can cook for her in a cast iron pan. If you combine iron with vitamin C, it increases the absorption as well.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • mindsquattermindsquatter Posts: 22Registered Users
    Leafy greens are good for iron. Boiled eggs have some (but proportionally a small amount). Baked beans
    If you can get black pudding, that's good too ... so's Guiness stout and red wine, but I think she may be a little young!
    m/s
    Newbie in the UK still researching CG method. All advice for type 3 hair welcome!
    Smilie Junkie!:sunny:

Currently using
    Co-Wash: Boots Essentials Conditioner - Daily Care for Damaged Hair 58p for 500ml
    Conditioner:Aussie Smooth Mate Good texture, not sure about the smell:goofy:

Abandoned
    VO5 Strawberrie and Cream co-wash suspected contact allergy

Current Goal
    Don't care about good 2nd day hair - want good 1st day hair :tongue5:
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    thanks. I know she will not like the drops!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
    My dad makes these spinach patties (with cheese) for S...we mix it with tomato sauce and he LOVES them!
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
    deezee02 wrote: »
    My dad makes these spinach patties (with cheese) for S...we mix it with tomato sauce and he LOVES them!

now that sounds like something I'd like!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users
    We have this ongoing issue with Sandhya because of her dietary restrictions (and we don't really eat red meat at home). Our solution for now is to keep her on iron-fortified infant cereal since she likes it so much.

We have iron drops at home, but I've never given it to her. Otherwise she seems to like spinach mixed in with other foods.

The idea of cast iron cooking is intriguing. I use a cast iron pan for our breakfast grillings, but Sandhya can't eat food off that pan since I use it for eggs and cheese.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Here's a list. It includes many of those already suggested, plus some others like winter squash and sweet potato.
    664789c6oez1lkq4.gif

Great ideas and links!
    Cassi actually likes all kinds of beans and has been ok taking the vitaman drops. She will be tested again at 15 months. I'll keep you posted on her progress.
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I just noticed that a 3/4 cup "children under 4" serving of Cheerios contains 50% of their RDA for iron.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file