Esencia by Samy?

I just bought this at Walgreens... I was looking for Giovanni but they didn't have it, so I found this other sulfate-free product. Has anyone else heard of Esencia by Samy? I looked it up online and found nothing.
mostly 3a. a little 2c and 3b.
fine/thin, but lots of it.

Comments

• dulcymhdulcymh Posts: 44Registered Users
    I saw their products at Walgreens, too and picked up some of the Pomegranate Styling Mousse...it's awesome!!!!! Can use it alone for frizz control and light hold, or use it under gel if I need more hold! I think it's even better than Aveda Phomollient (though the Aveda does smell better!) as far as hold and frizz control goes...at a MUCH better price!

I was debating on the shampoo/conditioners, but figured I have a bunch of stuff that I need to use up first! Not like I don't already have enough styling stuff, too, but... I'm a PJ in denial!!!!! Plus I *think* the conditioners might have non-water-soluble -cones in it...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Dulcy:toothy7:
    3b fine - modified CG (SLS once a week, no non-water-soluble cones/no -xanes) since Aug 08

Fave Products -
    'Poo: NG or Organix 'poos
    Cond: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition, Tresemme Naturals Moisture/Volumizing, or Suave Naturals, depending on the day!
    Leave-in: NG Lavender & Aloe Cond. watered down in a spray bottle
    Styling: Giovanni Air Mousse, FOTE Aloe Vera gel mixed with BRHG...
  • goldilocks036goldilocks036 Posts: 52Registered Users
    Well I'm glad someone else has heard of it... I still can't find it anywhere online. I've tried "esencia," "essence of healthy hair," etc. It's not on the samy website either. I just find it so strange since it seems like literally everything is somewhere on the internet.

I bought the shampoo, conditioner, and styling cream. I'm switching to sulfate-free, cone-free products, and technically I started with VitaminShampoo but I don't count that because it's so drying. So I don't really have any CG products to compare this new stuff to, but I can say my hair feels a lot softer :D
  • susieQ730susieQ730 Posts: 97Registered Users
    I found the shampoo and conditioner at Walgreens...but not any styling products. They had a "try this for free" offer, so I purchased the Mandarin Citrus shampoo and conditioner. I used the shampoo and as I was lathering up, I knew something was wrong, my hair felt like straw. So I checked the ingredients and I believe I'm sensitive to wheat protein. I didn't think the conditioner was very moisturizing, but again I think it had something to do with the wheat protein. I tried the conditioner after a water rinse, and my hair again felt like straw, stringy lifeless curls...SO another one for the give away pile! And it smelled so good!! It might work in the warmer weather though.
    CG since 7/08--Eastern PA
    3a fine/medium, normal to low porosity, med density
    CO wash/Cond: LVPNG, Kenra, TIGI MM
    Styling: GDLI, CK and any gel
    VISIT MY ETSY SHOP: www.dreambelledesign.etsy.com
    fotki pw: hair
    event.png
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
  • goldilocks036goldilocks036 Posts: 52Registered Users
    Hmm that's interesting since I think we have the same kind of hair. "3a, fine but lots of it"

And I know what you mean about the stringy lifeless curls, although my hair has been better after using this new shampoo. Then again I was using sulfate shampoos before that. I seem to have a stringy hair problem no matter what I use...
  • mrs.tarajacksonmrs.tarajackson Posts: 2Registered Users
    I just bought the conditioner last night and used it this morning. So far, so good after only one use! I still am a little nervous though because I'm used to using products with cones in them. We'll see how it goes.

Hair type: 3b
  • afrosfreemeafrosfreeme Posts: 11Registered Users
    This is hiliarious because I literally just bought this at Walgreens, lol. Like the first poster, I went in looking for Giovanni and found this stuff. Good ingredients and I needed it because everything I own has cones. I bought the White Lotus since it said it was "hydrating" and also bought the Vanila Macadamia& Sunflower styling creme. I will be back next week to report. I am hoping these work because they were surprisingly inexpensive.
    This is hiliarious because I literally just bought this at Walgreens, lol. Like the first poster, I went in looking for Giovanni and found this stuff. Good ingredients and I needed it because everything I own has cones. I bought the White Lotus since it said it was "hydrating" and also bought the Vanila Macadamia& Sunflower styling creme. I will be back next week to report. I am hoping these work because they were surprisingly inexpensive.

hahah that's the exact same stuff that I bought too. It all works out well. I'm not sure how to describe the styling creme though. One of the first ingredients is some kind of starch, if that says anything.
  • xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You are all evil! I picked up the mousse yesterday - I could not stand it!
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • dulcymhdulcymh Posts: 44Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »

What didn't you like about it?! I think the smell is kinda weird, but other than that, I like it...or maybe I should say that my hair likes it! After all, my hair does seem to have a mind of its own!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Dulcy:toothy7:
    3b fine - modified CG (SLS once a week, no non-water-soluble cones/no -xanes) since Aug 08

Fave Products -
    'Poo: NG or Organix 'poos
    Cond: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition, Tresemme Naturals Moisture/Volumizing, or Suave Naturals, depending on the day!
    Leave-in: NG Lavender & Aloe Cond. watered down in a spray bottle
    Styling: Giovanni Air Mousse, FOTE Aloe Vera gel mixed with BRHG...
    Ok, so I had to start over with the whole no poo method because I cheated the other day and used a cone. So I washed my hair with Essencia's White Lotus shampoo and conditioner. Then used the leave in cream and applied my HG gel :) My hair was dry, later on in the day. I love the smell, and my curls looked very defined but good lord. They shrunk and were just dull looking. I could not wait to go home and put some moisture in my poor little hair.

I am going to continue to work with this because I have nothing else and I don't want to spend more money trying something new. I will report back later. You guys are hiliarious btw :)
    Here are the ingredients. HSN.com carries a set. Pretty reasonable in price with some organic ingredients, but also contains the polyquats and some proteins. They carry both the hydrating and volumizing products. The above ingredients are for the hydrating set.

HTH
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• darcurldarcurl Posts: 586Registered Users
    Ok, so I had to start over with the whole no poo method because I cheated the other day and used a cone. So I washed my hair with Essencia's White Lotus shampoo and conditioner. Then used the leave in cream and applied my HG gel :) My hair was dry, later on in the day. I love the smell, and my curls looked very defined but good lord. They shrunk and were just dull looking. I could not wait to go home and put some moisture in my poor little hair.

I am going to continue to work with this because I have nothing else and I don't want to spend more money trying something new. I will report back later. You guys are hiliarious btw :)

all i can say to you is to keep working with it. maybe now you clarified you can use the conditioner to cowash, your hair should regain most of its moisture back again. the first day of clarifying is very healthy but your hair usually needs time to regain its moisture balance.
    2c, CG, soft, managed, curly-From NEPA
    :male::female::binky::angel13:
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    INNERSENSE ORGANIC BEAUTY
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    (BUMBLE, AUBREY ORGANICS, JANE CARTER)
    Eventually i will get the hang of this posting buisness
    Thanks JohnBoy :)

I am not sure how how many of you have tried the Essencia line, but I tried it again and realized that applying a little glycerin goes a long way with this product. Also not over doing it with the leave in cream (apparently). I co-washed today with Suave and used the Essentia as the second conditioner. A little glycerin, leave creme+ my HG gel and my hair looks really good, and feels soft. So if this keeps up, I will be investing in Essencia
    dulcymh wrote: »

What didn't you like about it?! I think the smell is kinda weird, but other than that, I like it...or maybe I should say that my hair likes it! After all, my hair does seem to have a mind of its own!!!!!

My sentence was very confusing huh? I meant that I could not stand not buying it!!! I liked it. But it does not have the hold that joiwhip or other mousses have so I did put gel over it. I did put a leave in under it so maybe without that it would have more hold. It's a decent mousse.
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • susieQ730susieQ730 Posts: 97Registered Users
    I have not tried the conditioner again after my last experience, waiting for the weather to get warmer. Although, I have used other products with wheat protein without any issues, maybe it was just the shampoo? On another note has anyone tried the Coconut (shea & sweet almond) Conditioning Treatment? Was on sale at Walgreens today...so the PJ in me said "buy me, buy me!!" Also, I have the Vanilla styling creme, have used it on the weekends with success, but fear a bad hair day during the work week (due to time constraints)...b.t.w. it contains amodimethicone. Have the mousse too, yet to try it. Too many products, not enough time. Interested in others experiences.
    CG since 7/08--Eastern PA
    3a fine/medium, normal to low porosity, med density
    CO wash/Cond: LVPNG, Kenra, TIGI MM
    Styling: GDLI, CK and any gel
    VISIT MY ETSY SHOP: www.dreambelledesign.etsy.com
    fotki pw: hair
    event.png
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
  • silentgiggulzsilentgiggulz Posts: 2Registered Users
    -
    yeah lets keep this going . so we got volumkizing or hydrating. which one do we want? i wonder if any actually work for curls? i do not want to buy it amd just have it to have plain hair, i need my hair to be curl enhanced.
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
    Ok...I have tried this mousse 2 more times since my first time above. It's official. I do not like it. There is something in it that sucks all the moisture right out of my hair. The minute I put it in my hair - it starts to feel dry. And my hair typically likes mousse products - but not this stuff. I ruined what was going to be a good hair day (you know how you can just tell??) by adding this to my hair this a.m. I already have frizz and it's not even 50% dry. Oh well.
    Central Massachusetts

darn. can you pinpoint possibly which ingredient it is that dries you out xcptnl?
    MAX GREEN ALCHEMY
    MOPTOP
    MOP-C CUrL
    JESSICURL
    CURLJUNKIE
    DEVACURL
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ok...I have tried this mousse 2 more times since my first time above. It's official. I do not like it. There is something in it that sucks all the moisture right out of my hair. The minute I put it in my hair - it starts to feel dry. And my hair typically likes mousse products - but not this stuff. I ruined what was going to be a good hair day (you know how you can just tell??) by adding this to my hair this a.m. I already have frizz and it's not even 50% dry. Oh well.
    xcptnl you don't have problems with Wheat or Soy proteins? Otherwise could be that pesky glycerin and not having the perfect dews again....

Mousse INGREDIENTS: Purified Water, USP, Polysorbate 80, Glycerin, Panthenol (ProVitamin B5), Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Palmitate (Vitamin A), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice*, Salvia Officinalis (Sage) Leaf Extract**, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Arctium Lappa (Burdock) Root Extract, Pyrus Cydonia (Quince) Seed Extract, Achillea Millefolium (Yarrow) Extract, Althaea Officinalis (Marshmallow) Root Extract, Yucca Schidigera Root Extract, Santalum Album (Sandalwood) Extract, Phellodendron Amurense Bark Extract, Hordeum Distichon (Barley) Extract, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Oil, Citrus Aurantium Bergamia (Bergamot) Fruit Oil, Citrus Aruantium Dulcis (Orange) Oil, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Peel Oil, Citrus Medica Limonum (Lemon) Peel Oil, Coriandrum Sativum (Coriander) Fruit Oil, Elettaria Cardamomum Seed Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus Leaf Oil, Eugenia Caryophyllus (Clove) Leaf Oil, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Butylene Glycol, Polyquaternium- 4, Polyquaternium-7, Polyquaternium-10, Ethylhexylglycerin, Phenoxyethanol.
    *Certified Organic by: OKO Garantie BSC **Certified Organic by: Guaranteed Organic Certification Agency
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
    Del I typically do not have issues with wheat or soy but to be honest I am not sure if I have ever used a product that had both so maybe that is it. I do not think it is the glycerin because I have been using that in other products recently with not much of an issue. I cannot even begin to explain how it makes my hair feel...it is like all the moisture has been sucked out of it and that is when it is put on WET hair.

As I posted on the general board - I am bringing hair stuff I do not like to my next book club meeting and this stuff is in the pile!
    Central Massachusetts

• silentgiggulzsilentgiggulz Posts: 2Registered Users
    -
  • calicurly4lifecalicurly4life Posts: 43Registered Users
    I bought the exact same products as afrosfreeme. I havent tried them yet. I also am a 3c with 4a and like Elasta QP Glaze. will be giving the esencia a try tomoro nite. will post an update!
  • notegalnotegal Posts: 560Registered Users
    For those looking for a website. It's on the back of the bottle. www.samysalon.com They are based out of Miami, FL.

I went all out and purchased the volumizing shampoo and conditioner and the vanilla styling cream. My next goal is to try the leave in conditioner.

So far I like them after only one use. It's a really humid day in Indiana and my curls have held pretty well against it. I have some fly-aways, but that's normal for a having no a/c in my car and drive with my windows open.

I like the shampoo better than Burt's Bees as it doesn't make my hair feel like straw, compared to Burt's Bees Shiny Grapefruit. The Conditioner, if left in for the amount of time it says works well. My hair was soft and shiny. I used it before bed and then put in the styling cream mixed with FOTE AVG and pineappled during the night as I slept. I woke up with perfect little ringlets.

The products smell good and so far seem to make my hair look soft and shiny as advertised.

I saw an ad for them in the May 2009 MarieClaire. I also took advantage of the rebate and sent that out today.

Good luck with it. I'm so far in love with the products. :love4:

I'm curious which one works better for hair types? On the ad, I saw a girl who had wavy hair and they were advertising the Volumnizing bottles.
    "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for."
    Ernest Hemingway

CG since June 15th, 2008:dog::love5::elephant:
    3b very thick hair with very kinky (possibly 3c) curls underneath
    Went Deva Care line beginning
    September 23, 2009
    Update: 10/12/2009 I can't stop playing with my curls!! So soft, shiny and manageable!!!! IN LOVE WITH DEVA Products!!!!!! YIPPPIE!!!!:wav:

• KeLynnKeLynn Posts: 182Registered Users
    I just found this brand yesterday at Walgreens. I just wanted to bump this thread and let you guys know that if you still like it, you should head back to Walgreens and stock up! Right now they're having a buy-1-get-1-half-off sale. Not only that, but all the bottles at my Walgreens had a mail-in rebate postcard attached so you could get one bottle free!
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I tried the White Lotus conditioner. It's creamy and smells pretty good (not too strong). Not as detangling as I would like. My hair seems to need behentrimonium methosulfate somewhere in the ingredients. It made a good co-wash, but for rinseout conditioning I would need to enhance it with something.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file