Help!!! Breastfeeding Questions

inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Okay, I have a few questions. My great nurser has gone haywire on me the last two weeks. I can't figure out what is wrong. The only thing that has changed is I'm back at work but working from home. Grandma is watching her downstairs in-between feedings.

1) How long does it take for the food I eat to turn into breastmilk...8 hours, 24 hours?

2) Addison cries when I put her to the breast...like something is hurting her. I put her paci in her mouth and then position her...pull the paci out and she feeds fine. Thoughts on why she does this?

3) How long should I let her eat until I burp her? In the last two weeks her new thing is to refuse to go back to eating after I take her off to make her burp. We don't get good feedings...so now I let her feed until she pulls off when is usually 3 or 4 minutes. I have a big let down in this breast and she eats fast. Would this cause ongoing gas issues? She does burp but when I try to put her back on she just cries. Usually nighttime is the only time she will go back on the breast and finish a feed.

4) She refuses to eat on one breast. I now pump this breast twice a day to get milk to store. This breast has less milk glands and she has to work to get a letdown...If I put her at the breast when she's hungry she cries instantly...if I put her on there after she's eaten...she'll put the boob in her mouth and then spit it out. If I keep trying she'll cry. Can she get enough milk from one breast to keep her from getting hungry?

Here's our schedule...she feeds, has wake time and then goes down to sleep. Usually she's up maybe an hour. Is this too long or not long enough. What's normal wake time for a 3 month old? Which leads to my 6th question.

6) Everytime around 45 minutes she wakes up...either fussing like she has gas and then if I put a paci in her mouth she goes back to sleep on and off...on and off this occurs until it's time to eat again...usually at 2 1/2 hours or 3 hours.

Before all this started happening...she was sleeping a good 8 to 9 hours. Now she's back to 7 hours at night?

Thoughts? Is she just going through a growth spurt and not getting enough food. Sorry for all the questions...I'm just up in arms here.

Thanks!

Comments

• ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    Hmmm, I have to be quick....

It is not unusual to "favor" a breast. If you haven't already, try her on the side she doesn't like at night. She may be too sleepy/hungry to notice. She should be fine if she only sucks from one, you however will be lopsided!!

Have you had any change in your eating habits? Had something new?

I am going to have to think about the rest, and I have to go, sorry.
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    First, I'd like to recommend the website kellymom.com for lots of breastfeeding info as well as contacting a local La Leche League leader. I think if you peruse the site, you'll find a lot of helpful info there, I just don't have time to provide you more spedific links right now.
    2) Addison cries when I put her to the breast...like something is hurting her. I put her paci in her mouth and then position her...pull the paci out and she feeds fine. Thoughts on why she does this?

Could she be impatient for you to get her situated, get your shirt up, etc.?

3) How long should I let her eat until I burp her? In the last two weeks her new thing is to refuse to go back to eating after I take her off to make her burp. We don't get good feedings...so now I let her feed until she pulls off when is usually 3 or 4 minutes.
    I have a big let down in this breast and she eats fast. Would this cause ongoing gas issues? She does burp but when I try to put her back on she just cries. Usually nighttime is the only time she will go back on the breast and finish a feed.

Could she be getting more efficient and not need to nurse for as long sometimes?

4) She refuses to eat on one breast. I now pump this breast twice a day to get milk to store. This breast has less milk glands and she has to work to get a letdown...If I put her at the breast when she's hungry she cries instantly...if I put her on there after she's eaten...she'll put the boob in her mouth and then spit it out. If I keep trying she'll cry. Can she get enough milk from one breast to keep her from getting hungry?

Your body is capable of feeding twins, so yes, she can get enough if you can't get her back on that breast. Have you tried different positions, nursing on that side while she's sleeping/sleepy?

Here's our schedule...she feeds, has wake time and then goes down to sleep. Usually she's up maybe an hour. Is this too long or not long enough. What's normal wake time for a 3 month old? Which leads to my 6th question.

When Lydia was that age she would go down for a nap two hours after she got up from the previous one.

6) Everytime around 45 minutes she wakes up...either fussing like she has gas and then if I put a paci in her mouth she goes back to sleep on and off...on and off this occurs until it's time to eat again...usually at 2 1/2 hours or 3 hours.

Lydia only napped 30-45 minutes at a time at that age. Sometimes even less.

Before all this started happening...she was sleeping a good 8 to 9 hours. Now she's back to 7 hours at night?

Thoughts? Is she just going through a growth spurt and not getting enough food. Sorry for all the questions...I'm just up in arms here.

There is a growth spurt at three months, and it's normal for them to nurse more often to increase your supply.

Thanks!
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ruralcurls wrote: »
    Hmmm, I have to be quick....

It is not unusual to "favor" a breast. If you haven't already, try her on the side she doesn't like at night. She may be too sleepy/hungry to notice. She should be fine if she only sucks from one, you however will be lopsided!!

Have you had any change in your eating habits? Had something new?

I am going to have to think about the rest, and I have to go, sorry.

I am definitely lopsided. :) My right breast is double or more the size of my left. At one time...I could breastfeed her at night on the "defective" breast...but not anymore. It's like she just knows.

As for eating habits...nothing's changed that I can think of. I try not too eat too much spicy, raw veggies and dairy for her tummy.
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    2) Addison cries when I put her to the breast...like something is hurting her. I put her paci in her mouth and then position her...pull the paci out and she feeds fine. Thoughts on why she does this?Could it be that she's actually sleepy and not hungry? Soren will not nurse to sleep, he has to have his paci to go to sleep, so that's how I know what he wants.

3) How long should I let her eat until I burp her? In the last two weeks her new thing is to refuse to go back to eating after I take her off to make her burp. We don't get good feedings...so now I let her feed until she pulls off when is usually 3 or 4 minutes. I have a big let down in this breast and she eats fast. Would this cause ongoing gas issues? She does burp but when I try to put her back on she just cries. Usually nighttime is the only time she will go back on the breast and finish a feed.Do you actually get burps out of her when you make the effort? I don't bother until Soren is done nursing altogether. Either he isn't much of a burper or my technique is bad.

6) Everytime around 45 minutes she wakes up...either fussing like she has gas and then if I put a paci in her mouth she goes back to sleep on and off...on and off this occurs until it's time to eat again...usually at 2 1/2 hours or 3 hours. Soren is like this too, but I like to think he doesn't want to miss out on any action in our busy household.
    I had a feeling you might say that. If possible, it may help for you to get the breast started to get the milk flowing. I think sometimes one side (for whatever reason :dontknow:) is easier for them. My kids all favored my left, so I would get my right started and then let them try. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not, but it should at least help you if you are uncomfortable.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My kids always rejected "righty" at around that age. I don't the milk flowed as well on that side. I stuck with it though, and coaxed them to feed on both sides each feeding, because I didn't want to be lopsided...totally selfish on my part, but that's how it goes.

Some babies are really efficient nursers and can drain a breast in less than 5 minutes.

Be patient with her. Sometimes it's just frustrating to be a baby and they don't know any better. If you keep at it, she'll eventually take it.

I probably wouldn't disturb her to burp til the end, unless she seems uncomfortable.
    I also think they go through periods where they are hungry more often and just need to eat more.

And, also, I think they go through fussy periods where sometimes putting them to the breast, even if they "shouldn't" be hungry, will help calm them.

It is hard when everything is going great and then things go haywire. I am sorry. icon9.gif
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Posts: 2,954Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks everyone!!! I really appreciate all the responses. Keep them coming.

Judging by all the comments it sounds like she is old enough to let her just nurse without frequent burping. I'm going to just let her nurse until she pulls off. Usually when I do this she will burp really loud and fairly quickly. If she refuses to go back on...then I will accept that she is done.

As to the 45 minute intruder as they say...I'm going to keep working on that...it just seems like she doesn't get into a deep sleep and then she set her timer to wake up. I've notice she's crankier at night now because she's not getting enough deep sleep. I'm going to try something for gas today...when she wakes up crying put a little of it in and her paci and then see if she goes back to sleep for a good hour or more. After I posted yesterday I remember Chas doing this and it took me awhile to break the habit. But for now, I'm going to check all the possibilities other than just stubborness.

Sigi, I've wondered that too about being sleepy and not hungry. She does this in the morning as well when I think she should be really hungry...I'll keep an eye on this and see.

Thanks for the website Brown_eyed_girl...I'm going to go check it out.

As for the lopsidedness...I'm going to keep trying her on that side. I am going to start pumping it more than twice a day. Thank goodness it's winter...I can hide it somewhat. :)

Hopefully things will return to normal soon....
  • Brown_Eyed_GirlBrown_Eyed_Girl Posts: 1,353Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    IC, I just wanted to add that we've gone through several periods where Lydia's nursing needs were changing and it took me a while to figure out what her new needs were. Like lately, she just doesn't need to nurse for very long or as often, so we'd get into these fussing battles of me trying to coax her back onto the breast when she really wasn't hungry.

I think it really helps during those times to stop and reflect, like you're doing, on what is working and what isn't. Most of all, (as long as she is thriving of course) I try to remember to trust my body to give her what she needs and trust her to know when and how much she needs to eat.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file