CurlTalk

FSG made by Botticelli Babe!

finchfinch Posts: 333Registered Users
I had reached the end of my rope and was off the CG wagon, desperate for anything to help my dry, lifeless hair. After a 3 month attempt at CG, my hair was in horrid shape, and it seemed a HG simply did not exist for me. I had even resorted to using heavily 'cone laden products in an attempt to make my hair look less like I'd just crawled out of bed every day, to no avail.

I kept seeing posts by Botticelli Babe talking about her homemade flax seed gel, and was intrigued, but alas, knew I would never be able to master making my own.

BB was kind enough to humor me and make a custom batch of her original flax seed gel for me, tailoring the mix to my own hair needs/wants, right down to the scent.

Folks, this stuff rocks. Holy crap. I was able to get back on the CG wagon because of this product. Before when I did CG, my curls were never consistently nice looking. I had a few spotty days of good hair, but never consistently every single day. I'm here to tell you, I have had good hair every single day with BB's FSG. Here's the kicker...aside from conditioner (leave in), I don't need any other product except the FSG. Nothing. Nada.

My application method for my 2c/3a hair was as follows:
-apply leave in condish (after water rinse and rinse out condish), wrap hair in MF towel for about 3 minutes, enough to not be dripping wet.
-comb hair, then apply FSG by scrunching it in (you have to be careful not to spill, as this gel is not very thick, so it must be applied a little at a time).
-comb hair again to evenly distribute FSG.
-scrunch in small dollop of leave in condish of my choice.
-diffuse, scrunch the crunch.
*done!*

:wav:

I finally have my HG!!
Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. :( My hair hates protein, apparently.

Comments

• mrl234mrl234 Posts: 548Registered Users
    I am SO EXCITED to hear this! I'll also let people know how mine works out.
    :happy10:
    fia 2C/3A-F-iii, sensitive to some proteins
    CGish since 10-16-08
    Low-poo: Yes to Carrots Daily Pampering Shampoo (1-2x/week)
    Rinse outs: Yes to Carrots Pampering Mud Conditioner
    Styling: a little bit of leave in and a little bit of KCCC, diffusing
    Olive oil DTs, honey rinses in the summer :)
  • DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users
    I was wondering when we would hear from you! That's great news finch!!! :blob:

Great news for Babe too!!!
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • finchfinch Posts: 333Registered Users
    DEL2C wrote: »

LOL. Are you friends with BB? I had to check with her first before I posted this, just in case other people start asking her to make gel for them. She said it was cool, she's open for business. ;)
    Medium texture, normal-high porosity, wavy-curly 2c to 3a-ish hair that is MOISTURE HUNGRY!!!
    Currently recovering from a protein hair crisis. :( My hair hates protein, apparently.

finch wrote: »
    DEL2C wrote: »

LOL. Are you friends with BB? I had to check with her first before I posted this, just in case other people start asking her to make gel for them. She said it was cool, she's open for business. ;)
    We've been Pm'ing ;) She's got some other concoctions brewing that I'm waiting on.......
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • AprilnUtahAprilnUtah Posts: 519Registered Users
    I just ordered some!:wav:
    April
    3a/b, med texture, med porosity, low dews

• curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    I had reached the end of my rope and was off the CG wagon, desperate for anything to help my dry, lifeless hair. After a 3 month attempt at CG, my hair was in horrid shape, and it seemed a HG simply did not exist for me. I had even resorted to using heavily 'cone laden products in an attempt to make my hair look less like I'd just crawled out of bed every day, to no avail.

I kept seeing posts by Botticelli Babe talking about her homemade flax seed gel, and was intrigued, but alas, knew I would never be able to master making my own.

BB was kind enough to humor me and make a custom batch of her original flax seed gel for me, tailoring the mix to my own hair needs/wants, right down to the scent.

Folks, this stuff rocks. Holy crap. I was able to get back on the CG wagon because of this product. Before when I did CG, my curls were never consistently nice looking. I had a few spotty days of good hair, but never consistently every single day. I'm here to tell you, I have had good hair every single day with BB's FSG. Here's the kicker...aside from conditioner (leave in), I don't need any other product except the FSG. Nothing. Nada.

My application method for my 2c/3a hair was as follows:
    -apply leave in condish (after water rinse and rinse out condish), wrap hair in MF towel for about 3 minutes, enough to not be dripping wet.
    -comb hair, then apply FSG by scrunching it in (you have to be careful not to spill, as this gel is not very thick, so it must be applied a little at a time).
    -comb hair again to evenly distribute FSG.
    -scrunch in small dollop of leave in condish of my choice.
    -diffuse, scrunch the crunch.
    *done!*

:wav:

I finally have my HG!!

What kind of hold do you consider the FSG to be? Is there any type of "crunch"? TIA.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
    curlykey wrote: »

What kind of hold do you consider the FSG to be? Is there any type of "crunch"? TIA.
    Hmm....medium to strong hold? Yeah, there's crunch, but you just scrunch it out after it dries, and you have soft curls. She can make the gel to your specifications, so you can request more or less of certain ingredients (she gives you a list) that you want. She will tailor it to your hair.

• curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    Oooohh nice. Thanks for the reply. I will have to contact her soon.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • BotticelliBabeBotticelliBabe Posts: 1,574Registered Users
    Thanks so much for the glowing review, finch!! And thank you all for trying it (I have to actually write it all down now, or I'll forget what needs to be done!!!!)!

On that note, if you try to send me a PM and it says I'm full up (I'm trying to stay on top of it - honest!!), just drop me a note by adding a comment in my fotki - I get email notifications when a message is left there. I guess putting it here makes the most sense:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FBotticelliBabe%2Ftools-gadgets-acces%2Fflaxseedsforgel2.html" class="Popup

That, or in my guestbook. If you want to, you can make guestbook comments private so I'll be the only one to see them. ;)

Thank you all so much!!!!!!!! :love5:
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com" class="Popup
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

Botticelli Botanicals Meringue
    Botticelli Botanicals Smoothie
    Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd w/ double avocado oil and double agave
    Botticelli Botanicals Lime in the Coconut Butter
  • k_vssyk_vssy Posts: 240Registered Users
    I know FSG usually has to be refrigerated. Does this stuff too? It's the one thing that's kept me from using FSG.
    3a
    Currently Using: Suave Coconut, Aldi's Biolage Conditioning Balm knockoff, LOOB, and LA Looks sport gel....cheap and simple seems to be working better!
    ModCG since 10/31/08
    k_vssy wrote: »
    I know FSG usually has to be refrigerated. Does this stuff too? It's the one thing that's kept me from using FSG.

I do use perservatives, but I would still highly recommend storing it in the fridge, yes. It will greatly increase shelf life. But remember that flax gel can be frozen with no loss of quality, so you could always freeze some and put some (a couple of days to a weeks worth, maybe) on your bathroom counter. That way, you don't risk all of it spoiling, but it's not cold when you put it on, either.
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.BotticelliBotanicals.etsy.com" class="Popup
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

• TaraVictoriaTaraVictoria Posts: 374Registered Users
    ok - so I'll have to break down and order some from botticelli - I made some last night, great consistency but I got about 2 tblsps... am I doing it wrong? or should I just double or triple the recipie???
    Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
    Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
    Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
    Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

:angel5::angel5:
    for the love of the lens...

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fanimafoto.smugmug.com%2F" class="Popup

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
    k_vssy wrote: »

I do use perservatives, but I would still highly recommend storing it in the fridge, yes. It will greatly increase shelf life. But remember that flax gel can be frozen with no loss of quality, so you could always freeze some and put some (a couple of days to a weeks worth, maybe) on your bathroom counter. That way, you don't risk all of it spoiling, but it's not cold when you put it on, either.
    I put mine into one smaller bottle to keep in the bathroom, and then put the rest in the fridge. I'm totally willing to keep hair products in the fridge if it means consistently good hair. Day 4 of lovely spirals! :happy7:

• AnnaleahAnnaleah Posts: 8Registered Users
    So I made the gel according to BB's directions, and was so excited to use it yesterday...but I just ended up with fuzzy poofy hair. I am going to try again today and use some other gel in addition to the FSG. But I just don't understand..everyone loves this stuff, and my hair was terrible!

(This is what my hair normally looks like by the way, NOT what it looked like yesterday)
    Annaleah wrote: »
    So I made the gel according to BB's directions, and was so excited to use it yesterday...but I just ended up with fuzzy poofy hair. I am going to try again today and use some other gel in addition to the FSG. But I just don't understand..everyone loves this stuff, and my hair was terrible!

(This is what my hair normally looks like by the way, NOT what it looked like yesterday)
    You have lovely hair. :) BB made mine FOR me, I didn't make my own. Maybe that's the difference?

• AnnaleahAnnaleah Posts: 8Registered Users
    Thank you, but I am very frustrated. I am trying to go CG, but am just having aweful hair and it just makes me want to throw in the towel!
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    Annaleah, the reason finch's worked is because BB made it herself. I see that you have joined very recently, so you don't know a couple things you ought to learn:

1. Botticelli Babe is a witch, like Hermione. You see Hermione's excellent curls? That is because she used magic. BB's FSG actually contains magic, which, unfortunately, is not sold at Whole Foods.

2. Botticelli Babe also puts in her blood, sweat, and tears. Needless to say, you can't have put that in yours.

Good luck, Annaleah (and welcome!)

(Btw, definitely made all that up, so no one report me to the moderators. I am also a big fan of BB, so, in all seriousness, Annaleah, ordering from her is probably a good idea.)
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
    Thank you, but I am very frustrated. I am trying to go CG, but am just having aweful hair and it just makes me want to throw in the towel!
    I did throw in the towel, so I totally feel you on that one. It was her gel that got me back on the CG wagon.

My hair just looked like crap and was dry and inconsistently curly. This gel is just a miracle serum, and I wouldn't be surprised if Botticelli Babe is indeed Hermione in disguise. Hermione was, after all, the one who managed to make perfect polyjuice potion in only her second year. ;)

• MimsTXMimsTX Posts: 3,482Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I did throw in the towel, so I totally feel you on that one. It was her gel that got me back on the CG wagon.

My hair just looked like crap and was dry and inconsistently curly. This gel is just a miracle serum, and I wouldn't be surprised if Botticelli Babe is indeed Hermione in disguise. Hermione was, after all, the one who managed to make perfect polyjuice potion in only her second year. ;)

lol, I'm so glad I'm not the only one around here that would know stuff like that...
    CG/Mod CG (soap bars) since 8/12/08
    CO wash/Cond: Kathymack & Flowermoon Castille soap bars, V05 Chamomile Tea, Suave Ocean Breeze, Biolage Conditioning Balm
    Styling loves: DIFFUSING! CK, KCNT, KCCC, FOTE (on dry hair only), Re:coil, Proclaim gel
    Not sure about: Boots, Tweek, KBB Milk, DMHJ
    HATE: plopping, FOTE on wet hair, BRHG
    MimsTX wrote: »
    Hermione was, after all, the one who managed to make perfect polyjuice potion in only her second year. ;)

lol, I'm so glad I'm not the only one around here that would know stuff like that...
    I am a total HP geek. I have read all the books 5 x at least. I re-read them when I have nothing else to read, and just because I love them. I'm re-reading HP7 right now. :glasses3:

Annaleah, the reason finch's worked is because BB made it herself. I see that you have joined very recently, so you don't know a couple things you ought to learn:

1. Botticelli Babe is a witch, like Hermione. You see Hermione's excellent curls? That is because she used magic. BB's FSG actually contains magic, which, unfortunately, is not sold at Whole Foods.

2. Botticelli Babe also puts in her blood, sweat, and tears. Needless to say, you can't have put that in yours.

Good luck, Annaleah (and welcome!)

(Btw, definitely made all that up, so no one report me to the moderators. I am also a big fan of BB, so, in all seriousness, Annaleah, ordering from her is probably a good idea.)
    1,000 curls is right :laughing7:

BUT in addition, Babe has tweaked this recipe to be her own and she does add some other special ingredients. Some gals are having great success with plain old FSG but hers is special :)
    Discovered CG 2007

*rofl* You guys.......

I swear - I'm NOT a witch. Not that there's anything wrong with witches!! :toothy3: I'm just a SAHM with lots more time than money, and since I live in the boonies and don't see hardly ANYONE unless I go out, I have no qualms about testing a new formulation every time I wash my hair. *lol* So, I learned fast what worked and what didn't. ;)

I had a thought, too (scary, I know!). The water I use to make the Gelee comes straight from my tap, but we have numerous springs on our property, and no filtration system (never needed it! the water is oh so clear and cold!). Part of the miraculous nature of my FSG might be something as simple as the water I use and the mineral content of that water. It seems so simple, but yet it's a very large part of the equation. City water may have additives like chlorine and flouride that might offset the final result, and my well water is obviously unique in its makeup.

It may also be that my stove is a vintage 60's Lady Kenmore gas range (I LOVE my stove!), and perhaps it heats differently than other, more modern ranges do. Again, it seems small, but maybe it makes all the difference in the world! :happy8:
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

• TaraVictoriaTaraVictoria Posts: 374Registered Users
    first off - botticelli, THANK YOU!!! I just played a bit with this little potion and finally got the amounts right, or more where they should be on my stove top I suppose and WOW! this is amazing! I've not had this kind of curl definition in AGES! this is something else!!! secondly - thank you everyone for posting too - everyone needs to try this stuff!!!!
    I spiced mine with a bit of lavendar, that was all - and WOW! I can't say it enough! I'm getting out the camera tomorrow - right after I finish wowwing and writing a 15 page exam for my kiddies.....
    as we say in Italian - GRAZIE MILLE!!!!!!!!!!! Lo amo!!!
    Tara - have a curly day!!!

LA Looks Curl Gel, Sauve Naturals conditioners Waterlily, CK, Deva Archangel , LOOB (has its days)...
    Deva One - LOVE it!!!!!!!

Botticelli's Flax Seed Hair Gel (a DIY!!!) THANKS Botticelli!!!!!!
    Curl Junkie Coffee Coco Creme (LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!)
    Shea Moisture Smoothie - GREAT stuff!

:angel5::angel5:
    for the love of the lens...

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fanimafoto.smugmug.com%2F" class="Popup

www.animafoto.wordpress.com
    Yay TaraVictoria! :blob: I'm so happy for you! See what I mean? When it works, it REALLY works!
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

• jsocurleighjsocurleigh Posts: 265Registered Users
    :wave:

I made the quick version FSG; Boil for 10 min and voila...

I used citric acid as a preservative and it's not in the fridge frankly because I'm too lazy to go down 2 flights of stairs. It's been 3 days, still smells fresh and works FABULOUSLY!

However....it's a little too runny. If I boil longer will it get thicker?

AND.. Ms. FSG aka BB...where is your recipe? I'd like to try it!
    *AVEDA Cosmetology Graduate*
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

4a*reformed PJ* mixologist*twistologist*extremely hair obsessed
    Twitter/@JayeEllis
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    MimsTX wrote: »
    Hermione was, after all, the one who managed to make perfect polyjuice potion in only her second year. ;)

I am a total HP geek. I have read all the books 5 x at least. I re-read them when I have nothing else to read, and just because I love them. I'm re-reading HP7 right now. :glasses3:

I'm not great with harry potter trivia, guess I never jumped on that bandwagon, but my friend is...
    she was playing a harry potter board game the other day and she got an answer wrong, she was so sure that she was right that her friends had to check.. and guess what? she was right! hehe...:laughing5: so your definitely not alone.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlywurlygurly%2F" class="Popup
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.

I used citric acid as a preservative and it's not in the fridge frankly because I'm too lazy to go down 2 flights of stairs. It's been 3 days, still smells fresh and works FABULOUSLY!

Wow - I put the basic recipe up so many times I can't remember exactly where it is now! I'll try and give you the Cliff Notes version quick before my little curly girl freaks out though:

2 c water, cool from the tap
    1/4 whole flax seeds (can use dark, but I prefer golden)
    UP TO 1/4 tablespoon magnesium sulfate, if your hair can handle it

Bring to a boil in a large saucepan, stirring constantly until the water becomes frothy and foamy, suspending the seeds in the water. Shut off the heat and strain immediately, add essential oil or fragrance oil of your choice, whisk well, and allow to cool before pouring into a bottle. Store in the fridge for up to two weeks, or gel can be frozen.

Of course, the one I'm selling has a few more steps than that, but this is the most basic of basics that you can find in a lot of places. ;) Hope that helps!
    BB

35ncsigpic-vi.jpg
    BSL/Mid Back, thick 3a/b

I made BB's version and it seemed so promising after I was done drying. I had really nice curl and soooo soft, I was really impressed! But, before the end of the day it went POOOOOF. That's when I decided to leave it to the expert and put in my order with the special ingredients I don't have!! I can't wait to get it :blob:
    Discovered CG 2007

• curlicarlycurlicarly Posts: 242Registered Users
    Where can you buy flax seeds anyways?
    3b/c coarse, porous (I think), and THICK! Mod CG since: 10/11/08
    Avoiding humectants and protein!
  • jsocurleighjsocurleigh Posts: 265Registered Users
    Hmmmmm...keeping the "special sauce" a secret:laughing5:...I understand make that money girl!

I like the golden ones better too... plus they're yummy!

I made some flax-oatmeal cookies the other day... delish!

thanks BB

LOL@ Del2C... I may have to do that ;)

@CurlyCarly, u can get them at any health food store
    *AVEDA Cosmetology Graduate*
    *DEVA Trained Stylist*

4a*reformed PJ* mixologist*twistologist*extremely hair obsessed
    Twitter/@JayeEllis