Baby Backpacks

ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
Any recommendations for a good one that is not too expensive? I would like to put my one year old in it.

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    ruralcurls wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a good one that is not too expensive? I would like to put my one year old in it.

Your least expensive option might be to go with a mei tai, which you can use for back carries. I got one used on thebabywearer.com FSOT for $30.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    I have one of those and think it is very uncomfortable to wear her in the back.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hmm, are you putting her high on your back? That, in my experience, makes it comfier. If you want a more structured carrier, I would look for a good deal on an Ergo, Patapum, or Action Baby Carrier on the babywearer swap forums.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • sarah42sarah42 Posts: 4,034Registered Users
    We have a baby backpack that a friend gave us. The brand name is Gerry, but I don't know how much it cost. It is lightweight and comfortable. Here's a picture of my husband using it with our first baby when he was 7 months old:

l_f4f3bbda5124df30f0e9c90cd42aa5ad.jpg
    ehLB.jpg
    Thanks. Sara, the picture is adorable!!!
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    i carry lydia in the mei-tai on my back and it's pretty comfy. i make sure to carry her high and tight and put a twist in the straps so they don't slip. i know some people who love the ergo.

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

What used to be uncomfortable for me doing a back carry in a mei tai was the absence of a chest strap like most SSC's have, because I always felt like the straps were sliding off my shoulders. I started doing a sort-of-tibetan tie (I don't know if it's technically a tibetan) and it's made a lot of difference. Basically, after pulling the straps over my shoulders and back at my armpits, I do a lexy twist in back but instead of bringing the straps under his legs and to the front, I bring them back to the front high, over my boobs. Then I take the strap by my right armpit, bring it across my chest and slip it under the left shoulder-strap, then do the same on the other side, then tie those two straps in a strong knot in the center of my chest, over my boobs. It helps hold the shoulder straps together nice and strong.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • mayimmayim Posts: 2,301Registered Users
    i do that too, pixie (or at least something similar, i'd have to think about exactly what i do, and compare it to your description). it really helps keep things secure and comfy!

m
    coarse, thick 3a
    modified cg

weight.png

Yup, that's tibetan. I use it when i wrap a lot. Althought someone not so tiny as you would probably need XL straps to do it. I'm wondering if I could now... maybe if I really tighten and tie in the tippy-tips.

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
    I will try to experiment a little more with what I've got. Thanks for the tips.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    I have a sort of dumb question:

Regarding the backpack: Is the baby put in the backpack first, then the backpack is put on the back or is the backpack put on and the baby is put in it?

Also, with tying the baby in the mei-tai, how does one do this by one's self without dropping the baby? I have enough trouble trying to tie a scarf at the back of my head...
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
    Windflower wrote: »
    Regarding the backpack: Is the baby put in the backpack first, then the backpack is put on the back or is the backpack put on and the baby is put in it?

We put the baby in first, then put the backpack on our back. With ours, you could sort of stand it up and have the baby in. I'm attaching a picture, in which I love the indignant look on Connor's face.
    Also, with tying the baby in the mei-tai, how does one do this by one's self without dropping the baby? I have enough trouble trying to tie a scarf at the back of my head...
    I have my husband help if he's around. If not, I lean forward a lot as I'm getting him situated, and look in a mirror (if there is one) to make sure everything looks OK. I can do it with no mirror or help, but I feel more comfortable if I have it.
    ehLB.jpg
    I use the santa toss method with mei tai's. After a little practice, I didn't need help or even a mirror really. If I'm in a parking lot, I'll glance in the car window at the end to make sure everything looks good.

This video shows a high back carry with a MT. She does sort of a superman toss to get the baby up.

• cosmicflycosmicfly Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I can get the baby on my back just fine, but I am too um, challenged, to tie him into the thing. Sometimes my 7 year old will help me, sometimes not. I do prefer to have help though.
    Here's a video of how I get him on my back when I use the mei tai. It's a soft-structured-carrier in the video, but I do it the same way with the mei tai. With the mei tai, I just pull each strap up one at a time, while bending forward, then wrap them around my shoulders and stand up and tie.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • SpunkyCurlsSpunkyCurls Posts: 1,523Registered Users
    sarah42 wrote: »
    We have a baby backpack that a friend gave us. The brand name is Gerry, but I don't know how much it cost. It is lightweight and comfortable. Here's a picture of my husband using it with our first baby when he was 7 months old:

l_f4f3bbda5124df30f0e9c90cd42aa5ad.jpg

Cute photo!

Gerry is an outdoor sports/camping equip company.

"MODERN BABY BACKPACKS: Gerry and his wife Ann also experimented with the first modern baby carriers, and patented their original design in 1963 as their "Gerry Kiddie Carrier." Innovations included the use of lightweight aluminum for its "S" curved frame, and lightweight nylons for the material. It was to sell for some forty years! Many of us as infants and toddlers spent hours in the out-of-doors in a Gerry Kiddie Carrier, and the close parent-to-child contact these carriers allowed led to some life-long pleasant associations to the outdoor world."

I only know this because my parents are HUGE Gerry fans and our tents, sleeping bags, food tubes, and yes, child backpack were all Gerry.
    <insert signature line here>
    Pixie, thanks for the video. That was very helpful.

I love the way you flip him in there. My carrier is different than that, so that may be why it is so uncomfortable for us.
    I love the way you flip him in there. My carrier is different than that, so that may be why it is so uncomfortable for us.

Yeah the one in the video is an SSC, not a mei tai. But I do it the same way with the mei tai: I tie it on my waist first, then flip him in, then hold his hands with my left while I grab the right strap, then switch hands and grab the left strap, then stand up holding on to both straps so he's nice and secure. If I have time later I'll try to make a video doing it with the mei tai, and showing how I do the tibetan.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    OK I made a video of us doing a back carry with the mei tai, showing how I do the tibetan tie:

th_IMGP2122.jpg
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Pixie, I love those videos you posted! You do a great job of explaining and demonstrating the carries.
    ehLB.jpg
    Thanks sarah! It took a few "takes" to get it right ;)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Thanks, Pixie. That looks more like the carrier I have. I can't wait to try it. I was defintely tying her on my back all wrong. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again. :thumbright:
    Thanks, Pixie. That looks more like the carrier I have. I can't wait to try it. I was defintely tying her on my back all wrong. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again. :thumbright:

You probably weren't doing it "wrong" - just differently. The way I did in the video is what I've found is most comfortable for me. The only thing is - when I do a real lexy twist and bring the straps under his legs and tie it off at my waist, I do feel that he's supported from underneath more and and feels less heavy. But, the shoulderstraps were always feeling like they were sliding down that's why I started tying it up high over my boobs.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    OK I made a video of us doing a back carry with the mei tai, showing how I do the tibetan tie:

th_IMGP2122.jpg

I just tried that one this afternoon with Oliver, and it worked great. He felt more secure, and I was able to pick up my two-year-old and lay him down for a nap while wearing the baby. I don't know all the names, but I think I was always doing a rucksack carry before. I'll have to add some new tricks to my repertoire.
    ehLB.jpg
    I'm glad it worked for you sarah!!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • shellibeanshellibean Posts: 4,500Registered Users
    Great video! I wish I would have carried River more! I had a sling that i wasn't crazy about that someone gave me. I think this type woudl have been a lot better! *Note to self for next baby*
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file