Good stylists in the UK

fuzzyduckfuzzyduck Posts: 50Registered Users
Hello UK curlies!

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread where we can review stylists in different parts of the UK, to help other users.

Sorry if this has already been done before!

For anyone in the west of England, I can recommend Hobbs on Park Row in Bristol. They're really nice there and not as expensive as somewhere like Toni & Guy. I had my hair cut by Neil, who's done my hair several times now. In the past he's always styled it straight but this time I said I wanted to go curly. I didn't explain about CG friendly products or anything as I thought I'd rather just let him concentrate on the cut for the time being. He cut it wet and then styled it by twisting sections and using a diffuser. It's much curlier now than it was before! It would have cost about £35 but I'm a student and so got a discount.

:D

Comments

• hahgiwoofahahgiwoofa Posts: 87Registered Users
    this is a fantastic idea! why is no-one joining in? I need advice for north west UK (bolton, preston, lancaster) as my stylist has gone awol

any help?
    :afro: UK based curly bonce! (Lancs)
    :banghead: silicone, or not to silicone - that is the question!!!
    :wav:
    Uses:
    CG - australian organics (Holland and Barratt) poo & condish, Louise Galvin Deep condish treatment, boots pink curl creme
    non CG - Umberto Gianni pink range, L'Oreal Studio Line Curl Power Controlling Creme
    Still searching for the winning combination!!!
  • kema1vkema1v Posts: 107Registered Users
    hahgiwoofa wrote: »
    this is a fantastic idea! why is no-one joining in? I need advice for north west UK (bolton, preston, lancaster) as my stylist has gone awol

any help?

I'd love to join in but i don't know of any good stylists! I had a good hairdresser for a while but then she left the area and i've been struggling to find a good alternative since then. So if anyone knows a good stylist in oxfordshire or central london even, please let me know.
    Hair type: 2c-M-ii with extra frizz
  • LavaTwilightLavaTwilight Posts: 33Registered Users
    Hi

I desperately need advice of stylists/salons in/around Southampton and Hampshire generally....happy to travel a bit further.

Parents live in Bristol so Hobbs sounds interesting..hiw did Neil cut your hair and what products did he use? were they CG?

Thanks
    Amy
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    I've just done a review of the place in Norwich I visited yesterday. Probably a bit out of the way for you, but if you have family out here, might be worth it. :-)
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • curlydaiscurlydais Posts: 1Registered Users
    Hi,

I'm moving to Lincoln in September and just wondered if anyone knows of any good stylists based there?

Thanks
  • ellageorginaellageorgina Posts: 1,511Registered Users
    Oh I've seen hobbs, isn't that on the top of park street?? I might try there!! (If I ever get my hair cut) Any good places in London??
    3b-med texture-med porosity
    CG from 21-05-09 2nd try!
    Conditioners: Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose, Aubrey Organics GPB Protein
    Stylers: CJ CCCC, CJ AFG, KCCC
    Gel: Lavera Organic

My hair LOVES CURL JUNKIE <3 :love10:
    www.fotki.com/loopyloops.

• Crystal TipsCrystal Tips Posts: 240Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi everyone

I'm a London newbie - pre CG - just collecting the necessary products at the mo!

Thanks fuzzyduck for starting this thread :smile:

I have been going to Unruly studios in Portobello road for 18 months now - I see Michael Price, the salon Director for cut and Christopher for colour. Michael is great with curly hair - he has a good understanding of cutting and drying techniques. Not CG - so you would need to take your own products etc. But they don't towel dry hair and they refresh rinse after cutting so hair is sopping wet before adding styling products etc. I was talking to Michael about starting CG myself - he knows about the regime - they have Lorraine Massey's book in the salon - so it would be no problem if you brought your own products to the salon.

check out this site if you would like to look at reviews of the salon:
    http://www.urbanpath.com/london/hairdressing-salons/unruly-studio.htm

Hope that helps :compress:
    UK - 3a/b med/coarse - mix normal/ high porosity.
    Currently in my rotation:
    Cleanser/Cowash: CJDF,
    Tresemme Naturals, DGJ Hairjuice clarifying, Urtekram Lavender
    Conditioners/DT's: CJH&BDF, CJCR, DBPSC, AOWC, Y2C
    Protein: AOGPB, Joico Reconstruct Condish (regular not PT)
    Leave Ins/Curl Creams: CJCCCC, CJ Smoothing, KeraCare/JCAC
    Gel: FSG, BRHG, Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel, L'Oreal Studio Mineral Control Invisi'Gel
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  • curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    Do any UK curlies know of anywhere in Scotland - I could really do with a cut but am petrified!
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    http://public.fotki.com/curlyhairmichuk/
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • CurlyCakeCurlyCake Posts: 7Registered Users
    McIntyre's in Dundee is good. They have two salons but I went to the one on Perth Road. Only been the once but got a great layered cut and will be booking another appointment next week!
  • SammySingallySammySingally Posts: 131Registered Users
    Hey UK Curlies! :)

Okay, so if you're in Southampton, there's a place in Hedge End. Err....Lucia's Salon on Tanhouse Lane.
    When you get there, ask for Tammy, Kim or Sarah (* ask for Kim or Sarah if Tammy's not there). Tammy says that Kim and Sarah are just as good as her, but Tammy's the one recommended. Tammy has 2 curly haired daughters that she takes care of so, she has experience with working with naturally curly hair.

I haven't been there, but I know someone (curly haired) who has and she recommended it.

HTH :)
    Things I use: Olive Oil, Canola oil, rosemary oil, aloe vera gel, shea butter, mayonnaise, eggs, milk, bananas

Everything I use is 100% natural. I make most of them myself because then I'm sure what's in it and I'm sure nothing's added, it's pure, it's natural.

Things I avoid: Mineral oil (codename: Baby oil), heat (I'm a total, no hair driers, no straighteners, no curling irons, no flat irons, no hot combs...nada), sodium chloride

Growing plan: At least 6 inches longer in a year.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file