Short to long transition styles?

alex_infpalex_infp Registered Users Posts: 8
Hey everyone! I'm a 23 year old guy and I've only grown my hair out once. When it was longer I'd relax it, flat iron it, load it up with gel or some combo of those to keep it straighter. I knew I was abusing my hair and I wanted to try something else so I buzzed it off. I'm growing it out now, not shampooing it, just using lots of Tigi Moisture Maniac and Self-Absorbed conditioner and a deep conditioner about three times a week. I like using Silk Drops Anti-Frizz Serum and Sun Silk captivating curls scrunching mousse to finish because it smells great and holds without making my hair feel hard or crunchy.

My issue is that my hair's still fairly short and I have no idea how to style it. I don't want to go to a salon (yet!) because I don't want to cut it at all and call me cheap but paying 80 bucks just to get it styled at this length seems like a waste. I don't know what hair type I have because I've never grown it out without straightening, but I'd guess 3b or 3c.

I've played with my hair a lot but I think the back and sides are just going to look really bad until I grow them out. The only technique I've found so far that I like is twisting a curl with my fingers while gently pulling up/out on it to make a tight, separated mini-spiral, but this is very time consuming.

Here are some pics; the two where I have curly hair are from today:
http://s707.photobucket.com/albums/ww73/alex_infp/

I love the way my hair feels but I hate the way it looks. If you guys have some tips or suggestions for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Clueless, Curlful, Italian/Egyptian 3c
Growing it out

Comments

• jmwjmw Registered Users Posts: 130
    Do you have gel in your hair in the curly photos? What I would suggest is to try LOOB (loreal out of Bed). It controls the hair, but leaves it soft.
    As far as styling, I would avoid products that intend to add crispyness to your hair. If you're not straightening it anymore, then you have practically virgin hair now, so you shouldn't have to use very many products with your hair type. Just something to moisturize and something for some control (Like I said, LOOB is a godsend, and is cheap). For some reason when I think of curly guys I always think of this guy from the real world. He wears his hair totally disheveled, but it looks great and like he isn't trying too hard.
    Attachment not found.
    Hair Type: 3a/3b
  • alex_infpalex_infp Registered Users Posts: 8
    That Loreal stuff sounds great, I'll give it a try. I really dig that guy's hair, and that's kinda the look I'm going for. Curious what he does to style it that way. Thanks for the input. :)
    Growing it out
  • mpgirlmpgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,163
    Silk Drops Anti-frizz Serum
    Cyclomethicone , Dimethiconol , Tocopheryl Acetate - Vitamin E , Panthenol - Vitamin B5 , Retinyl Palmitate - Vitamin A , Silk Protein , Fragrance

SunSilk Mousse
    What is it Made of: Water (Aqua), Isobutane, Dimethyl Ether, Polyquaternium-4, Propane, Fragrance (Parfum), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Steareth-2, DMDM Hydantoin, Dimethiconol, TEA-Dodecylbenzenesulfonate, Laureth-23, Cyclomethicone.

If you're not using a shampoo with sulfates in it, you might be risking some build up issues with some of the products you are using. These products have cones, xanes and conols in them which you might want to avoid if you are growing your hair out. These ingredients build up on the hair shaft and will not come off without a harsh shampoo.

General rule of thumb:

Anything that starts with cyclo- and also ends with -ane.
    (They're silicones that are hard to get out.)

In stylers/gels, avoid:
    Silicones (anything ending in -cone, i.e. dimethicone)
    Alcohol
    Fragrance (or find one with little fragrance)

Look for:
    A clear gel that contains PVP and PVP/VA.
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

Wow, I had no idea. I know silicones are bad but I have a hard time recognizing them. Thanks a lot.

I now know one of my conditioners has a cone in it. Here are the ingredients to the other conditioner I use, can you identify any cones please?

Tigi Bed Head Moisture Maniac Conditioner
    Ingredients: Aqua (water/eau), Cetyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Acettamide MEA, Cetrimonium Bromide, Stearyl Alcohol, Parfum (Fragrance), DMDM Hydantoin, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propianate, Pentaerythrityl Tetracaprylatem Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tetrasodium EDTA, Silk Amino Acids, CI 15510 (Orange 4).
    Growing it out
  • mpgirlmpgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,163
    Nope, that one looks good. Here is a list of common ingredients. It was helpful to me when trying to read the gobbledygook that are ingredient lists. I will also Google individual ingredients in question. Works like a charm!
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi