Why be curly?

curly_kccurly_kc Posts: 72Registered Users Curl Novice
  1. Curly is my natural hair.
  2. When it rains, if I straighten it, it goes back to curly anyway.
  3. I have ethnic Italian facial features, and I don't think straight hair looks good on me.
  4. My hair is fine-textured, but looks thicker when it's curly.
  5. Frizz is only a problem if I over-style it.
Any other goods reasons to go curly?

A friend of mine recently had a baby and said it's easier for her to straighten her hair. She doesn't have time to wash her hair every day, and so uses high heat styling with a flat iron.

Is it easier for most people to just blow dry and flat iron two or three times a week, instead of styling curly hair?
Conditioner Wash: V05 Kiwi-Lime Clarifying Conditioner

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo

Rinse-Out and Leave-In Conditioner: V05 Vanilla-Mint Conditioner

Gel Styling Product: L.A. Looks Mega Mega Hold

Comments

• mpgirlmpgirl Posts: 1,163Registered Users
    Absolutely not for me. I used to dread having to wash my hair because I knew it was a 2 hour production for me. I did for almost 10 years. I hated wash days and would do anything to not get my hair wet in between. I had no choice since my chemically straightened hair only looked good styled. I couldn't wear it curly.

Now, it is my choice how long I take to style my hair. it can be as fast as a 10 minute shower, plopping while I get ready and then shake and go, or multiple products, plopping, diffusing, etc., which will take another 30 minutes or so.

What I used to do was crazy, now that I think about it.:goofy:
    3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
    Picasa:
    Link
    Deva Low Poo
    Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
    Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
    Homemade FSG
    KCCC
    Curl Junkie Stuff
    BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect. -wabi-sabi

• curly_kccurly_kc Posts: 72Registered Users Curl Novice
    mpgirl wrote: »
    I had no choice since my chemically straightened

When I was in a routine straightening my hair, you're right, it was so damaged I had to keep straightening it. Or else, it looked awful when I wanted it to be curly. And I wasn't using a chemical straightener, just lots of silicone and heat styling.
    Conditioner Wash: V05 Kiwi-Lime Clarifying Conditioner

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo

Rinse-Out and Leave-In Conditioner: V05 Vanilla-Mint Conditioner

Gel Styling Product: L.A. Looks Mega Mega Hold
  • jo...<3jo...<3 Posts: 3Registered Users
    it is WAY easier for me to just go curly! i just wash brush then put a little de-frizz stuff and i am done it takes like 10 mins and looks great! straight in the other hand takes me like 1 1/2 hours!! sooo for me the natural is much easier!!
  • jillipoojillipoo Posts: 3,795Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You ask if there are any other good reasons to go curly.

To that, I always say the same thing: it's an honest representation of yourself. You were born with curls. And if you frequent this website, you learn how to make them look great.

Other than wanting an occasional change in your look, I think the real question is "are there any good reasons to go straight?"
    3a and strictly CG since August 2007. Porous and on the fine side. No to magnesium sulfate and glycerin. Yes to protein! Favorites:
    CO-WASHES: Suave Coconut
    CONDITIONERS and LEAVE-INS: Mop Top Daily Conditioner, KBB Nectar, Aubrey GPB or Island Naturals, Robert Craig, Any Jessicurl
    CURL ENHANCERS/CREMES/MOUSSES: KCCC, JoiWhip
    GELS: Fuzzy Duck, B5 Design, MGA Scultping, BRHG

Fotki password: chuckle
    Blog: http://jillipoo.blogspot.com/
    Twitter: nopoojillipoo
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Because my hair is curly.

Why should I let myself get brainwashed into thinking I have to pretend it's straight? I'm through with that. Curls are my hairitage.

Anything else I try to make it do will only come with a lot of time, effort, and sometimes grief; will never look like naturally straight hair; and my hair will revert anyway the first chance it gets.

My hair is fine and easily damaged; and the more damaged it is, the worse it looks. Trying to make my hair behave in ways it wasn't intended to damages my hair.

Now that I know how to take care of my natural curls, I can keep them healthy, help them look their best, get on with life, and feel better about myself.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    To the op - I get where your friend is coming from, I find it much less time-consuming to flatiron my hair every 5 days or so, with just a quick touch up in the mornings, than it is for me to do my hair curly every morning, which takes 2 hours with drying time.
    That said, I have it curly most of the time as it just gets far too damaged if I flatiron all the time and "why be curly?" well I just am!
    I do flatiron sometimes - usually when I'm going away as I've better things to do on holiday than sit around waiting for my hair to dry!
    3b in South Australia.
  • onethousandcurlsonethousandcurls Posts: 1,118Registered Users
    I'm curly because too many people are straighties (natural or otherwise). Gotta break up the monotony, see?
    3b/c, CG 9/18/08
    Last process: 04/05/08 Big Chop: 08/08/09
    Currently: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Herbal Essences Set Me Up gel (summer only), Boots Curl Creme (winter only)
  • CoilyOne1812CoilyOne1812 Posts: 384Registered Users
    1. I was born into it.
    2. My hair becomes damaged straightened.
    3. I don't need to bother with a second party to be curly.
    4. It's probably more environmentally friendly not to use chemical relaxers and 3 different heat implements to style my hair.
    5. It offers me more variety.
    layer cake of tight, spongy and silky/thready S strands that kink more than they coil
    spiced with a few spiral coils and non-curling waves
    mostly medium and fine with a sprinkle of coarse strands
    protein is yummy
  • ReddishRocksReddishRocks Posts: 779Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh GAWD no. I spent so much more time when I was flattening and blowing-straight my hair. My routine may be a bit more complex now, but so much of it is done while I'm doing something else!!! And I've got stupid hands. I can't seem to accomplish complex, two-handed tasks while looking in the mirror, LOL!

I get reliable hair for three days. Day one is my favorite. Day two is FINE. Day three is an up-do where I can leave my favorite fringe curls loose in the front. After that, my hair and scalp are starting to get too dry, so I wash again to replenish moisture. :)

17May09GlenEyriecrop-1.jpg

Hair is best when wabi-sabi.
    2b/2c at this length, more 3a when shorter
    M/C ii

Mod CG: Sept 08
    Using: Suave co-wash, GVP Conditioning Balm, Lustrasilk OOC, MGA, BRHG
    Humectants: @ dew point 40+
    My blog for dry climate curlies and growing out a pixie: Colorado Curly
  • TillyMunchyWavesTillyMunchyWaves Posts: 671Registered Users
    Wait, we're supposed to count DRYING TIME?

Well then my hair takes 10 hours and 5 minutes.
    Wavy, curly on the ends, 2C.
    Coarse to medium textured, porous, dry, and lots of it.
    Shampoo--HSH Pumpkin, Abba Pure Moisture
    LVPNG, HSH Pumpkin, Walgreen's Knockoffs--Condish/Cowash
    AOHR, Nexxus, EO--LI
    CK & ReCoil--Activator
    Suave Max Hold, Alagio Curl-Gel
    For inquiring minds who want to know:
    http://www.public.fotki.com/TillyErnissee
  • bamberbamber Posts: 37Registered Users
    I wear my hair curly because it is curly.

But I straighten sometimes because it is easier. I can touch it and it doesn't frizz, I can pull it back and let it down and pull it back again and it doesn't pull the curl out. It is easier.
    2c, I think. Dyed, black. Going brown again soon.
    'poo less
    CO: Suave Naturals, coconut this time. Scents vary.
    Coditioner: Vive pro, pink.
    Gel: Herbal Essence Body Envy
    Diffuse occasionally.
    Full time college student, soon to be intern, and future accountant baby!
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It doesn't take long at all to wear it curly. I'm not counting drying time for several reasons. First...after I put in hair product, I am doing other things anyways...it's not like I'm just sitting there waiting for it to dry. I put on makeup, eat breakfast, change into my clothes for the day, take care of my dogs, etc. By the time I'm ready to go, my hair is dry enough to scrunch out the crunch. Even if it's still slightly damp for awhile longer, who cares and who even knows?

So, without taking drying time into consideration, it takes ten minutes tops to style my hair. I wrap it in a microfiber towel while I'm drying off the rest of my body, put on some comfy clothes and contact lenses, then let down my hair, put in some leave-in conditioner, and use my finger to style my hair for maybe 5 minutes or less (haven't timed it but it isn't long at all), leave it alone to get ready, and then scrunch the crunch, which takes 3 minutes if that.
    I have straightened my hair 4 or 5 times in my life. And it is such a big production to do so. It's a PITA!!!
    Even taking into consideration of being able to only do it two or three times a week, that's still 2 or 3 times more than I would want to do...and my hair would so rebel against that with damage!!

Reasons to be curly...because it's cute that way!!!
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    1. Because I can't heat style regularly AND have long hair. The necessary products, techniques, and tools to keep my hair straight make it split.
    I'd rather have waist length healthy hair than straight hair.

2. Because my hair is too long to blow out now (arms won't reach).

3. Because flat ironing is time consuming and makes me sweat.

4. Because straightening doesn't last long for me anymore.

5. Because when my curly/wavy hair isn't quite done, it's just not dry yet and I can go on about my business anyway. If I'm straightening, I can't leave until it's all done.

6. Because I was chained to my dryer and iron for a decade and it got old.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • curlylew66curlylew66 Posts: 1,685Registered Users
    Curly hair is part of me. Yes, I sometime wish it was straight.
    I will straighten a few times out of the year but I feel like it is doing so much damage when I do. Then when I am wearing it straight I feel like I am undercover or in a costume!!
    But being curly means no new trendy haircuts which is frustrating. We can either go short or long.
    So, going straight is really the only variety I have.
    But no matter where I am or what I am doing someone always tells me my hair is pretty, unique and they would would spend $$$$ to have it.
    Once it is about 4 four inches longer I will be very happy.
  • starcrosserstarcrosser Posts: 183Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curly_kc wrote: »

Is it easier for most people to just blow dry and flat iron two or three times a week, instead of styling curly hair?

For me, I am really bad at styling curly (diffusing never works, air drying takes forever, my hair doesn't really hang nicely, etc.). So it actually is easier for me to style straight. I shower at night, put my hair in a loose braid and then quickly flat iron in the morning. I have thin and fine hair so it doesn't take long.

HOWEVER I really don't like that I depend on my flat iron. I love curly hair and really really want to love mine too. Lately I've been doing a ton of experimentation and trying to break the flat iron addiction. I know it will take time to repair the damage from my iron and also to find a routine that works for me. That's why sometimes I get fed up and just go back to what I know - the flat iron.

To be honest, I never truly learned how to style my naturally curly hair. When I was younger, it was more straight. Then when it started to curl, my mom crimped it for years (yuck, the 90s!). After that, I would brush it out and end up with gross brillo-like frizz and no curls. Then I discovered flat irons, which made it smooth at least. It's sad that I'm 26 and never really learned how to let my hair go naturally. :(
    3A curls, fine texture, thin (it's always been that way). A few inches past shoulder length and would like it to grow very long.

Latest routine:
    Sulfate-free shampoo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo, Elucence, Bedhead Superstar
    Conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea conditioner, DermOrganic Masque, Redken All Soft
    Style: DermOrganic Argan Oil Treatment/Serum, Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in, Kerastase Nectar Thermique, Oyin Hair Dew
  • BoomygrrlBoomygrrl Posts: 4,940Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's sad that I'm 26 and never really learned how to let my hair go naturally. :(

Don't feel bad. I'm almost 38 and it took me until maybe 5 years ago before I even knew half of what I know now. I didn't know about cones/sulfates until 2 years ago...but I didn't know about certain styling techniques and the use of leave-in conditioner before 5 years ago. And scrunching the crunch and waiting until hair is dry...that's only a year or year and a half ago.
    That's right, I said it! I wear scrunchies!!

I am a sulfate washing, cone slabbing, curly lovin' s.o.b. The CG police haven't caught me yet.
    :blob8:

3a/3b
  • lebanesecurlylebanesecurly Posts: 161Registered Users
    To be honest, I am going through a phase right now where I have almost no time and it IS easier to just blow dry and flatiron. Actually, it's due to CG that that is....with CG, my hair easily blows out straight with no effort.....not even brushes! I can finger-comb it straight with a blow dryer. And then, I need only minimal heat to get out whatever little kinks are left. Straightening takes approximately and hour and a half, whereas wearing it curly requires a half hour at least of air-drying, plus an hour and 15 minutes of diffusing, plus another 30 minutes of arranging everything to look right. And then having to do it again every single day because second day hair is a myth for me right now. *sigh* I wish that wasn't the way it is....but let's face it: it's more healthy for my hair to straighten twice a week then to diffuse for upwards of an hour every day.
    claiming a 2c/3aMiii
    growing my hair out to BSL
    & mod-CG as of 9/1/08 :blob5:
    Low-poo: VitaminShampoo pomegranate+blackberry
    'Poo to clarify: BTZ Noodlehead
    Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Stylers: LOOB! GVP Detangler, HESMU
    Put away for winter: PMRT, TW, LVPNG

On the rare occasion that I straighten: leave-in V05 vanilla mint, 3-in-1, and Tizz no Frizz
    Pineapples, clips, diffusers, and paper towels are my hair's best friends.
    .I'm a PJ.

• Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've got to admit that I am blown away by all the people who are saying it's easier to straighten their hair than let it curl. I never got a full day of smooth hair out of any straightening I ever did on my hair, let alone a second day, and it was always a laborious process just to get it smooth initially.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file