Question about Vitamin A in Prenatals

MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
So, I've started taking a prenatal vitamin since DH and I are thinking about trying for #2 soon and I remember reading something a while back about vitamin A recommendations and too much causing birth defects. Does anyone know what the recommended amounts are in a prenatal vitamin?

Thanks!
3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"

Comments

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Posts: 5,656Registered Users
    I don't think it's the amount you need to worry about, but whether or not it comes from beta carotene. Although I can't remember if it should or shouldn't come from beta carotene.... so, um, I'm no help. Sorry!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    PixieCurl wrote: »
    I don't think it's the amount you need to worry about, but whether or not it comes from beta carotene. Although I can't remember if it should or shouldn't come from beta carotene.... so, um, I'm no help. Sorry!

Pixie, you just jogged my memory. You're right actually, it's supposed to come from beta carotene because it's a more natural source or something. Now, we just need to know if there is a limit on the amount. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

• CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    According to my copy of Prescription for Nutritional Healing pregnant women should limit their intake of vitamin A to below 10,000 I.U.
    Take into consideration foods rich in vitamin A, but foods containing the natural beta-carotene are not harmful because the body will convert the beta-carotene only into vitamin A in amounts the body needs.
    One of my Adelle Davis books states much higher doses of vitamin A have proven to not be toxic in adults for periods (like 20 times the amount stated above) but rarely is more than 25,000 i.u. ever needed.
    I hope that helps and didn't confuse you more.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks Cynnaminbear, that helps.
    The one I'm taking now has 4,000 IU of vitamin A which is 100% from beta carotene. I was concerned because it seemed like a lot but I guess not.

Experimenting with BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file